Coopers distribution vs QPR | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Coopers distribution vs QPR

Sep 6, 2006
Ryan is not know for his heading, but he won his fair share on Tuesday to be fair. And so he should, he's 6'2.

Back to the kicking it long, we should mix it up, but as soon as you hit something long it becomes a 50/50 ball.
Its not 50/50 with Hardie

Sep 6, 2006
I was not advocating hitting it long to Ryan Hardie for obvious reasons but more targetted to a CB in the opposition half. It worked with Phillips a few times on Tuesday - more than it would with others. Coops does have the ability to hit or throw it over a high line where Ryan would thrive. Away from home that is a possibility but not at Home Park. The absence of a tall player with physical presence as an option was undeniably a recruitment failure in the two windows this season
I can't see how we can get CBs in the opposition half too often.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Very difficult to be critical of a goalkeepers distribution when at least 4 of the 10 options dont really want the ball.

A large percentage of the time to make a pass to Wright/Hardie/MW - he is going to have to kick it 40-70 yards, when they all have in close proximity large defenders. Its even more difficult to hit this pass when its blowing a gale.

Scarr will take the ball, but its not natural of comfortable for him.

So that leave 6 outlets, the two central midfielders are normally in heavily populated areas of the pitch which makes passing/throwing to them difficult.

When you look at it like this, it then throws a bit of weight why managers such as David Moyes are very happy to let the opposition have the ball, if you are cute out of possession you can set traps, make the pass to the midfield man look appealing knowing full well if it goes slightly wrong you can intercept and be attacking their backline in just one pass. No coincidence that under Foster (who sees it similar to Moyes) we were better away from home where sides do leave more spaces for distribution from deep.

Reactions: smudja

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I can't see how we can get CBs in the opposition half too often.
Only from goal kicks as we did on Tuesday. Eliminates the 'from me to you' six yard box play that rarely enable us to progress up the pitch. Coops kicked wide to Phillips in the opposition half on at least three occasions and we won the second ball in an advanced area and did so quickly.

Sep 6, 2006
Of course what we miss is a Danny Mayor type(very underrated by some) who could run with the ball and transition through the thirds. Plus we had Cosgrove as another option with a bit more physical presence. How we hoped to stay up with what we have I have no idea.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Of course what we miss is a Danny Mayor type(very underrated by some) who could run with the ball and transition through the thirds. Plus we had Cosgrove as another option with a bit more physical presence. How we hoped to stay up with what we have I have no idea.

We’d be a few places higher in the league if Mayor had have signed on for another year and if we’d given Cosgrove the benefit of the doubt with a 1 year deal, I’m pretty convinced of that.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Way back when Gazza was playing for England I often used to say to people "He is good for our defence because all the while he runs with and retains the ball, we are not conceding goals or possession. Back then I don't think we had terms like 'transition through the thirds' but denying the opposition the ball is good whoever does it and wherever they are. Just out of interest, do you think Danny would have cut it at this level? (Genuine question and not an argument or opinion) From what I read, some Fleetwood fans are greatly disappointed that he has not had the impact they had believed he would.

Reactions: greenpilled
Sep 6, 2006
Way back when Gazza was playing for England I often used to say to people "He is good for our defence because all the while he runs with and retains the ball, we are not conceding goals or possession. Back then I don't think we had terms like 'transition through the thirds' but denying the opposition the ball is good whoever does it and wherever they are. Just out of interest, do you think Danny would have cut it at this level? (Genuine question and not an argument or opinion) From what I read, some Fleetwood fans are greatly disappointed that he has not had the impact they had believed he would.
Yes I think he would. Not every week maybe but definitely something extra we don't have. He had no end product in League 1 so nothing would have changed in Championship!

Reactions: greenpilled

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

He’s another one who seems to need to be loved and have the right fit. Not sure what the regime is like at Fleetwood but I’m absolutely certain he would have struggled under Foster. But right now, would you play Wright or Mayor? No disrespect to Callum but I know who I'd be choosing.

Like BG, over the course of the season he would definitely given us a bit more offensively. Enough fine margins to make a difference IMO.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
He’s another one who seems to need to be loved and have the right fit. Not sure what the regime is like at Fleetwood but I’m absolutely certain he would have struggled under Foster. But right now, would you play Wright or Mayor? No disrespect to Callum but I know who I'd be choosing.

Like BG, over the course of the season he would definitely given us a bit more offensively. Enough fine margins to make a difference IMO.
That is a good point re Callum v Danny. I had not looked at it that way.

Reactions: Frank Butcher

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Always been on the fence with the Cooper Hazard argument but I’ve been impressed and reassured with Coopers performances to date, but I was’t overly impressed with his distribution last night, too slow far too slow.
Against a team pressing as high and as quick as QPR did last night I thought on a quite a few occasions he put our defence under even more pressure with slow and sometimes inaccurate distribution.
Just to reiterate I have been very impressed with Cooper to date so hopefully just a temporary blip.
A fast press is more reason not to play the ball quickly to our CBs. He was inaccurate on a couple of occasions but partly down a lack of movement from the outfield players

Sep 17, 2017
A fast press is more reason not to play the ball quickly to our CBs. He was inaccurate on a couple of occasions but partly down a lack of movement from the outfield players
I agree when there are no options but there were, from my seat in block 3 we could have between the press, on some occasions, by more decisive decision making by Cooper. On occasions you could see Edwards and Mumba holding their hand in the air as if to say ‘give me the ball’ presumably either directly or via the CB’s.

To reiterate once again I’m very comfortable with Cooper between the sticks he does look good apart from the odd talking point.