Coopers distribution vs QPR | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Coopers distribution vs QPR

Oct 15, 2017
Always been on the fence with the Cooper Hazard argument but I’ve been impressed and reassured with Coopers performances to date, but I was’t overly impressed with his distribution last night, too slow far too slow.
Against a team pressing as high and as quick as QPR did last night I thought on a quite a few occasions he put our defence under even more pressure with slow and sometimes inaccurate distribution.
Just to reiterate I have been very impressed with Cooper to date so hopefully just a temporary blip. like a lot

I am like a lot of people sitting around me are sick of this tippy-tappy
from me to you playing out from the back style, we are too slow and
play ourselves into trouble then panic trying to clear our lines with the fans screaming at the players to get it up the field, I don't blame them
they are playing to the coach's orders.

Reactions: oldage
Sep 17, 2017
Not his best game yesterday, sure, but he evidences time and time again why he is #1 by a country mile.
Rogue and all, this isn’t a he’s better than him thread. I’m just pointing out that Cooper didn’t help the defenders last night with his distribution, especially considering the fast high press.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
There has been much comment about Cooper's distribution and Hazard's before him, this season. Much of the comment has focused on poor delivery and poor direction. Playing out from the back underpinned Lowe and Schumacher's 'playing through the thirds'. It might have been effective in League's One and two but it is far more challenging to achieve when Championship players are quicker, run further distances and are more physical in terms of aggression and height. i don't thin kit is a coincidence that Lowe has made North End one of the most physical teams and Schuey has abandoned his playing principles in thepursuit of points.

In theory, playing out from the back draws opposition players to the bal leaving room to expolit. To be most effective you need dynamic quick players in wide areas. The quality of the Championship has exposed our weakness in effectively playing out. West Brom executed the 'lock down' to perfection and ever since other teams are employing similar tactics such that we've only score one goal in six goals with few attempts at goal because we barely get out of our own half. with fluency or purpose.

Goalkeepers are pivotal in setting up play. The six-yard box 'to-me-to you' now rarely draws a forward to the ball to exploit space, The central ball into feet (normally Houghton) and out to the wing back is full of jeopardy and now easily read and thwarted apart from causing cardiac pressures to watching fans. It also requires the two or three CBs to be comfortable in possession under pressure. For all Scarr's virtues this is not one of them.

The result of all of this tactical imposition from opposing teams is a focus on the kicking accuracy of both of our keepers. Coops is the better kicker and thrower but both are uncomforable under pressure of a wayward back pass. Two of Dan Scarr's back passes on Tuesday were alarming. Some passes are also made to the less favoured kicking foot or even worse on goal.

This all leaves the options for distribution limited. Playing wide to the WBs on the half way line or thereabouts rarely results in posssion as the lack of height of both means an inevitable loss of the aerial challenge. The central ball into feet in fraught with danger. The long ball over the top is thwarted by the opposition sitting deeper. All of these blocked distribution outlets give the impression of poor distribution from the keeper when the reality is the lack of viable and deliverable options.

In my view, the temporary solution, until we can improve our recruitment in terms of physicality and speed in the close season, is to hit it long. I noticed that Phillips was pushed up against QPR to try and win the aerial challenge from some of Coops longer kicks out. He won some of those challenges and we played from there. Perhaps Gibson could do the same on the other side. At least we would be high in the opposition half rather than the poor execution of the tiresome 'tippy tappy' across the back three that often results in a kick up field from Coops as the default. I have not suddenly become a Warnock convert but I see it as a needs must, to set play in the opposition half, particularly against the fleet footed front line of Leicester and Hull. Otherwise we might be facing more of the same frustrations in the next two games at Home Park when points at home are an imperative to our salvation.

Reactions: greenpig27
Sep 6, 2006
There has been much comment about Cooper's distribution and Hazard's before him, this season. Much of the comment has focused on poor delivery and poor direction. Playing out from the back underpinned Lowe and Schumacher's 'playing through the thirds'. It might have been effective in League's One and two but it is far more challenging to achieve when Championship players are quicker, run further distances and are more physical in terms of aggression and height. i don't thin kit is a coincidence that Lowe has made North End one of the most physical teams and Schuey has abandoned his playing principles in thepursuit of points.

In theory, playing out from the back draws opposition players to the bal leaving room to expolit. To be most effective you need dynamic quick players in wide areas. The quality of the Championship has exposed our weakness in effectively playing out. West Brom executed the 'lock down' to perfection and ever since other teams are employing similar tactics such that we've only score one goal in six goals with few attempts at goal because we barely get out of our own half. with fluency or purpose.

Goalkeepers are pivotal in setting up play. The six-yard box 'to-me-to you' now rarely draws a forward to the ball to exploit space, The central ball into feet (normally Houghton) and out to the wing back is full of jeopardy and now easily read and thwarted apart from causing cardiac pressures to watching fans. It also requires the two or three CBs to be comfortable in possession under pressure. For all Scarr's virtues this is not one of them.

The result of all of this tactical imposition from opposing teams is a focus on the kicking accuracy of both of our keepers. Coops is the better kicker and thrower but both are uncomforable under pressure of a wayward back pass. Two of Dan Scarr's back passes on Tuesday were alarming. Some passes are also made to the less favoured kicking foot or even worse on goal.

This all leaves the options for distribution limited. Playing wide to the WBs on the half way line or thereabouts rarely results in posssion as the lack of height of both means an inevitable loss of the aerial challenge. The central ball into feet in fraught with danger. The long ball over the top is thwarted by the opposition sitting deeper. All of these blocked distribution outlets give the impression of poor distribution from the keeper when the reality is the lack of viable and deliverable options.

In my view, the temporary solution, until we can improve our recruitment in terms of physicality and speed in the close season, is to hit it long. I noticed that Phillips was pushed up against QPR to try and win the aerial challenge from some of Coops longer kicks out. He won some of those challenges and we played from there. Perhaps Gibson could do the same on the other side. At least we would be high in the opposition half rather than the poor execution of the tiresome 'tippy tappy' across the back three that often results in a kick up field from Coops as the default. I have not suddenly become a Warnock convert but I see it as a needs must, to set play in the opposition half, particularly against the fleet footed front line of Leicester and Hull. Otherwise we might be facing more of the same frustrations in the next two games at Home Park when points at home are an imperative to our salvation.
To 'hit it long' Graham we need a 'target man' as I have long advocated. Sending it up anywhere near Mr. Hardie you can guarantee it will come straight back. Such are our limitations.

Reactions: Said old Green

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
To 'hit it long' Graham we need a 'target man' as I have long advocated. Sending it up anywhere near Mr. Hardie you can guarantee it will come straight back. Such are our limitations.
I was not advocating hitting it long to Ryan Hardie for obvious reasons but more targetted to a CB in the opposition half. It worked with Phillips a few times on Tuesday - more than it would with others. Coops does have the ability to hit or throw it over a high line where Ryan would thrive. Away from home that is a possibility but not at Home Park. The absence of a tall player with physical presence as an option was undeniably a recruitment failure in the two windows this season

Aug 30, 2006
Some of the back passes to him were shocking. I mean there was one Scarr played to him in the first half that was at the goal, with pace & the ball is skipping high off the turf.

He shouldn't even be getting some of these passes back to him.
In fairness wasnt it Coops that put Scarr in that position in the first place....facing his own goal with a striker on his back, he had little option but to send it back (albeit not at that pace).

Reactions: saxman

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Ryan is not know for his heading, but he won his fair share on Tuesday to be fair. And so he should, he's 6'2.

Back to the kicking it long, we should mix it up, but as soon as you hit something long it becomes a 50/50 ball.

Reactions: smudja

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Miller wins almost everything in the air, so whilst I’m not his biggest fan in terms of his end product, if we want to go long it would probably make sense to have him on the left pushed high.

Oct 5, 2013
Maybe if both keepers have had spells of slow distribution, it’s not the keeper and instead it’s an instruction? You said it yourself, against a high pressing team? sometimes the quick throw out isnt on despite what our fans see. It’s fine throwing to a right back when everyone is on the left side of the pitch but what is he then meant to do with the ball? You have to look ahead, they’re professionals and read the game much better than most fans. You could see from how we played we felt we could beat their press (not that we always could but did at times) hence waiting for us to get our shape then roll it out short. As for it being inaccurate, that’s part of the reason as to why keepers play in this league and not the prem. But I think people need to stop with all of this slow distribution stuff. It’s quick when it can be. Unless there is a clear break on or you are going to gain 60 yards there’s literally no point in distributing it quick to risk giving away possession especially in our position
Very good points

Oct 5, 2013
All about opinions but I think he’s been outstanding since he has come back into the team. I’ve started to reassess my reasonably positive opinion of Hazard, and whether he’s a long term option, having seen how much better Cooper has been in the past few games. He’s on a different level.
Coops certainly inspires more confidence

Sep 3, 2009
Some of the back passes to him were shocking. I mean there was one Scarr played to him in the first half that was at the goal, with pace & the ball is skipping high off the turf.

He shouldn't even be getting some of these passes back to him.
It was very close to being an own goal, that one. Awful.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Just what is the point of our goalkeeper passing it to one of our full backs with the opposition playing high? I know a lot of teams do it before abandoning it for the big kick.
In our case it just doesn't work and creates danger for us when the opposition forwards quickly close us down.
I just don't get it!

Exactly this for me. When Pep and co. introduced the tactic of playing out, it always amused me watching some lower league teams trying to do the same thing thinking they’ve got John Stones at centre-back. And I think the same applies to us to a degree. Yes, Cooper’s distribution could be better but we don’t have that quality of passing across our back line. Invariably our defenders knock a couple of balls to each other and then pass it back to the keeper for a punt upfield.

Reactions: Cotswoldian

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
Exactly this for me. When Pep and co. introduced the tactic of playing out, it always amused me watching some lower league teams trying to do the same thing thinking they’ve got John Stones at centre-back. And I think the same applies to us to a degree. Yes, Cooper’s distribution could be better but we don’t have that quality of passing across our back line. Invariably our defenders knock a couple of balls to each other and then pass it back to the keeper for a punt upfield.
Well no point knocking it long because Hardie isn't the sort of centre forward to win it in the air

Reactions: Balham Green