Charlton away (sold out) | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton away (sold out)

Jan 6, 2004
katkin":13hvs5no said:
Green_Flash":13hvs5no said:
Clearly luck of the draw as to where you sat, we didn't encounter any bad behaviour really - yes everyone was standing, but that, while not ideal, is very common for big away matches. I actually think the 300-400 odd who go to most away games almost feel like their private hobby is being crashed when we have a large away following but apart from the impossibility of getting a half time beer large rowdy away followings are fine with me.

The biggest problem with this match is it was clear before we even went people wanted to stand. If they'd had unallocated seating those who wanted to stand could have stood at the back and those who wanted to sit could near the front.
Why should I pay for a ticket and then have my son in tears that he can't see because everyone wants to stand (this was not just us, i'm sure there were lots of similar situations). I like to sit near the back at home park but understand that at away games i try to sit further down for this exact reason

I sympathise but unfortunately unallocated seating in a large full stand causes even more problems as late comers cant find the empty seats dotted about. The answer is to be able to pick you own seat when you book as you can at HP. Either that or you enforce sitting down. It is not that hard. You start at row 1, ejecting anyone who does not comply and move back from there. One or two ejections and everyone would sit down you can be sure of that

Apr 6, 2009
Green_Flash":cpapg5j5 said:
katkin":cpapg5j5 said:
Green_Flash":cpapg5j5 said:
Clearly luck of the draw as to where you sat, we didn't encounter any bad behaviour really - yes everyone was standing, but that, while not ideal, is very common for big away matches. I actually think the 300-400 odd who go to most away games almost feel like their private hobby is being crashed when we have a large away following but apart from the impossibility of getting a half time beer large rowdy away followings are fine with me.

The biggest problem with this match is it was clear before we even went people wanted to stand. If they'd had unallocated seating those who wanted to stand could have stood at the back and those who wanted to sit could near the front.
Why should I pay for a ticket and then have my son in tears that he can't see because everyone wants to stand (this was not just us, i'm sure there were lots of similar situations). I like to sit near the back at home park but understand that at away games i try to sit further down for this exact reason

I sympathise but unfortunately unallocated seating in a large full stand causes even more problems as late comers cant find the empty seats dotted about. The answer is to be able to pick you own seat when you book as you can at HP. Either that or you enforce sitting down. It is not that hard. You start at row 1, ejecting anyone who does not comply and move back from there. One or two ejections and everyone would sit down you can be sure of that

i would agree with being able to pick your seats being the best option too but that never happens especially when the seats get sent in batches depending on how they sell.

Jan 6, 2004
The other option then is to designate part of the away section a "family zone" in which it is made clear that standing will not be tolerated - anyone can choose to go there but obviously people that are going to want to stand can choose elsewhere.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
The problem for clubs is if they admit that standing in seated areas is tolerated / allowed / encouraged then they are in contravention of the ground regulations and run the risk of losing their license.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Overall, not a great away day. Lovely walk alongside the Thames between Blackfriars and London Bridge spoiled by the flattest of flat games and atmospheres. The weather was dull and listless and airless and tbh dampened the mood before I even went in the ground. Personally, I like to sit as well when I have a seat, and stand when it’s a terrace. All of this is more reason to say we are grown up enough now to experiment with mixing the two. All-seating did its job for a goodly while, but we are in a different place now.

Jan 6, 2004
whole day had the feel of the 15/16 play off final - dull day in London, large following but nothing to sing about. Massive anti-climax.

Forest of Dean Green":1umvfbnd said:
Overall, not a great away day. Lovely walk alongside the Thames between Blackfriars and London Bridge Poiled by the flattest of flat games and atmospheres. The weather was dull and listless and airless and tbh dampened the mood before I even went in the ground. Personally, I like to sit as well when I have a seat, and stand when it’s a terrace. All of this is more reason to say we are grown up enough now to experiment with mixing the two. All seating did its job for a goodly while, but we are in a different place now.

Funny you should say this, I arrived at the ground thinking, ‘bugger, this is Wembley Mark 2, same flat, grey, lifeless weather, flat atmosphere, same slow out of the blocks, and same 2-0 result.

Oct 24, 2010
mervyn":31qv27y0 said:
Forest of Dean Green":31qv27y0 said:
Overall, not a great away day. Lovely walk alongside the Thames between Blackfriars and London Bridge Poiled by the flattest of flat games and atmospheres. The weather was dull and listless and airless and tbh dampened the mood before I even went in the ground. Personally, I like to sit as well when I have a seat, and stand when it’s a terrace. All of this is more reason to say we are grown up enough now to experiment with mixing the two. All seating did its job for a goodly while, but we are in a different place now.

Funny you should say this, I arrived at the ground thinking, ‘bugger, this is Wembley Mark 2, same flat, grey, lifeless weather, flat atmosphere, same slow out of the blocks, and same 2-0 result.
The atmosphere was awful, probably a lot to do with the fact that half of the fans were p1ssed of at being made to stand up.

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":2067g6as said:
mervyn":2067g6as said:
Forest of Dean Green":2067g6as said:

The atmosphere was awful, probably a lot to do with the fact that half of the fans were p1ssed of at being made to stand up.

And the bl%%dy deafening tannoy right until kick off. Same as HP. Bit harsh blaming the weather though! Perfect calmt day not cold.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
esmer":nhce9xoa said:
mervyn":nhce9xoa said:
Forest of Dean Green":nhce9xoa said:

I think it was more to do with the fact we were 1-0 down after 3 minutes.

Oct 24, 2010
Argy1e":3qaq4qzm said:
esmer":3qaq4qzm said:
mervyn":3qaq4qzm said:
Forest of Dean Green":3qaq4qzm said:

I think it was more to do with the fact we were 1-0 down after 3 minutes.
Isn't that when the team need the fans to get behind them? It's easy supporting your team when you are winning but when it's not going so well the noise levels drop away dramatically.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":2990tw8a said:
And the bl%%dy deafening tannoy right until kick off. Same as HP. Bit harsh blaming the weather though! Perfect calmt day not cold.

Not blaming it at all, but I also thought the weather was weirdly oppressive and thick. Almost like mist, but not quite visible.

I definitely felt a bit... odd, as I was coming out and walking through several layers of police. Combined with the weather it was strangely like going back in time.

Probably talking absolute rubbish but it was a weird day, I felt.

Jan 6, 2004
I don't agree it was the score line necessarily, when we had a rare good phase of attacking football the crowd was right behind them. The problem was that our first shot on target came almost with the last kick of the game. There was not much to cheer.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Green_Flash":20xf8dl5 said:
I don't agree it was the score line necessarily, when we had a rare good phase of attacking football the crowd was right behind them. The problem was that our first shot on target came almost with the last kick of the game. There was not much to cheer.

Surely the first shot on target was in the first half when their keeper pushed that shot to his left and it came off his post.