casual attitude to training by our manager | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

casual attitude to training by our manager

Jul 6, 2011
Steve Evans":22xdnez6 said:
IPA":22xdnez6 said:
Forest of Dean Green":22xdnez6 said:
I'm beginning to get bored of Pasoti and some of the threads on it. How on earth do any of us know what does and does not go on in traning? How do we know whether a trip to the life centre didn't pre-cede a couple of hours of knackering running or gym work, or a few hours of ball work or set piece training, or whatever else Fletcher feels is apporpriate to improve his squad. I'm prepared to debate what we do see - what happens on the pitch, his tactics, his choice of signings, ot the style of play that he wants to develop. All of which show that things really need to improve. But to speculate that he is a poor manager - and to (in effect) denigrate the manager's intelligence - because he doesn't indulge in some people's desire to see the sqaud pounding up and down Outland Road wrapped in clingfilm to pick up a decent sweat, seems to me to go too far. I've no evidence that the bloke doesn't care or that his traning methods show a sloppy approach, just because the squad engage in some fun bonding activities (don't all teams?), so I won't say he doesn't. I've plenty of evidence that his management is not effective at the moment, and that he needs to get his act together in producing results. Two different things in my mind.

Like I said on another thread my nephew is part of the development squad and he regularly trains with the 1st team.

Let's just say he's far from impressed with what goes on and he's only a young lad!
this is the best post on this thread.evidence from someone who is there. :clap:

Why, because he agrees with you?
This thread is just another thinly veiled attempt to shoot more arrows in Fletchers back and how come it's always one of a certain few who start these threads? and strangely enough go silent in happier times.
I don't think you guys are any happier then when you're being miserable. What would you do after 5 pm on a saturday if Argyle won the league? You really would be miserable then

Sep 2, 2008
I always wondered why Warnock never played him when he was at Palace and seemed to prefer Shaun Derry. Maybe he's a disruptive sort. The Burton game last year always puzzled me a bit more specifically how the decision to not possibly play was turned around. I have this mental picture of him as a union rep making demands etc. Thinking on - for me it's was an interesting choice of words that Sexstone used recently when announcing we were looking to appoint a DOF. Something along the lines of "sacking Fletcher was not an option". Fletcher must have made one helluva deal if sacking him is not an option. The more I hear and see the more I'm starting to dislike this fella. He seems a little self centred which I probably could stand if he was getting results. To be so far up his own arse though and not delivering the goods :thumbdown:

Apr 15, 2008
London
Steve Evans":297fc8rx said:
what is Mr. fletcher up to now.no game this weekend because of his miserable management and all the time in the world to get this lot pounding the streets to get their stamina up what does he do?takes them over to the life centre to play on a climbing wall!a clueless manager who should have been sacked after the dorchester debacle!

Could you speak English please. [Insult Removed by Admin.]

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Nobody on this thread has any concrete proof of Fletcher's attitudes towards us fans. Everyone is just doing the math and coming up with an answer regarding Fletch that suits there agenda. It's all just pure speculation.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
dunlop":1it3hj0j said:
I was also a regular visitor to Harpers, watching training, there were 6 of us, Barry (cleaner, where has he gone) Paul, Roger Maurice (now departed) Jack me and my dog Dunlop all of the managers never had a problem, even Tony Pullis, in my opinion the training under him was the best, Holloway would at times get us involved in the training.
Sturrock would have a lot of banter with us until one day he said "sorry guys I have to stop you watching the training a couple of players do not want you watching them train" we have since learnt that it was Fletcher who objected, that was no surprise because he would never have any thing to do with us watching not like most of the players who we would have a lot of light heated banter, to my mind Fletcher still treats fans with contempt a necessary irritant.

Fletcher is lucky he has an owner like Brent who is giving him a more than fair crack of the whip, hopefully his time will be up soon before it is to late.

What about the players you saw - who trained the hardest, who didn't bother? I've heard Trigger was laughably casual about training, didn't do his press ups and sit ups etc. - but his form in the lower leagues spoke for itself.

Norris on the other hand suddenly developed a serious engine after Pulis came in, which I imagine was down to work on the training pitch, and those stamina levels have come to define him as a player.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
briangreen":1vgmsz0s said:
Steve Evans":1vgmsz0s said:
IPA":1vgmsz0s said:
Forest of Dean Green":1vgmsz0s said:
I'm beginning to get bored of Pasoti and some of the threads on it. How on earth do any of us know what does and does not go on in traning? How do we know whether a trip to the life centre didn't pre-cede a couple of hours of knackering running or gym work, or a few hours of ball work or set piece training, or whatever else Fletcher feels is apporpriate to improve his squad. I'm prepared to debate what we do see - what happens on the pitch, his tactics, his choice of signings, ot the style of play that he wants to develop. All of which show that things really need to improve. But to speculate that he is a poor manager - and to (in effect) denigrate the manager's intelligence - because he doesn't indulge in some people's desire to see the sqaud pounding up and down Outland Road wrapped in clingfilm to pick up a decent sweat, seems to me to go too far. I've no evidence that the bloke doesn't care or that his traning methods show a sloppy approach, just because the squad engage in some fun bonding activities (don't all teams?), so I won't say he doesn't. I've plenty of evidence that his management is not effective at the moment, and that he needs to get his act together in producing results. Two different things in my mind.

Like I said on another thread my nephew is part of the development squad and he regularly trains with the 1st team.

Let's just say he's far from impressed with what goes on and he's only a young lad!
this is the best post on this thread.evidence from someone who is there. :clap:

This thread is just another thinly veiled attempt to shoot more arrows in Fletchers back and how come it's always one of a certain few who start these threads? and strangely enough go silent in happier times.
I don't think you guys are any happier then when you're being miserable. What would you do after 5 pm on a saturday if Argyle won the league? You really would be miserable then
i note that on another thread you are having doubts about fletch brian. when argyle were winning the championships under sturrock i was very happy and proud to be an argyle fan.now i wonder if we will be a league club next season.what do you think about our curent state with regard to our league postion?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
crownhillpilgrim":1tdvl1mg said:
Steve Evans":1tdvl1mg said:
what is Mr. fletcher up to now.no game this weekend because of his miserable management and all the time in the world to get this lot pounding the streets to get their stamina up what does he do?takes them over to the life centre to play on a climbing wall!a clueless manager who should have been sacked after the dorchester debacle!

Could you speak English please. [Insult Removed by Admin.]
thank you mods for removing the insult.how do you feel about the current league position mr. crownhill pilgrim?

ealinggreen":3w1j5ujr said:
dunlop":3w1j5ujr said:
I was also a regular visitor to Harpers, watching training, there were 6 of us, Barry (cleaner, where has he gone) Paul, Roger Maurice (now departed) Jack me and my dog Dunlop all of the managers never had a problem, even Tony Pullis, in my opinion the training under him was the best, Holloway would at times get us involved in the training.
Sturrock would have a lot of banter with us until one day he said "sorry guys I have to stop you watching the training a couple of players do not want you watching them train" we have since learnt that it was Fletcher who objected, that was no surprise because he would never have any thing to do with us watching not like most of the players who we would have a lot of light heated banter, to my mind Fletcher still treats fans with contempt a necessary irritant.

Fletcher is lucky he has an owner like Brent who is giving him a more than fair crack of the whip, hopefully his time will be up soon before it is to late.

Very interesting post, I was quite pro Fletcher,now beginning to dislike him and worry.He needs to be discarded.Holloway,Pulis and Sturrock equal clever managers.Fletchers apparent dislike of supporters is not somthing to be accepted,this will allways dog him and he is obviously an arrogant knob.

Blimey. I hope for CF's sake you don't decide that you really dislike him. :lol:

Nov 12, 2012
"I'm beginning to get bored of Pasoti and some of the threads on it. How on earth do any of us know what does and does not go on in traning? How do we know whether a trip to the life centre didn't pre-cede a couple of hours of knackering running or gym work, or a few hours of ball work or set piece training, or whatever else Fletcher feels is apporpriate to improve his squad. I'm prepared to debate what we do see - what happens on the pitch, his tactics, his choice of signings, ot the style of play that he wants to develop. All of which show that things really need to improve. But to speculate that he is a poor manager - and to (in effect) denigrate the manager's intelligence - because he doesn't indulge in some people's desire to see the sqaud pounding up and down Outland Road wrapped in clingfilm to pick up a decent sweat, seems to me to go too far. I've no evidence that the bloke doesn't care or that his traning methods show a sloppy approach, just because the squad engage in some fun bonding activities (don't all teams?), so I won't say he doesn't. I've plenty of evidence that his management is not effective at the moment, and that he needs to get his act together in producing results. Two different things in my mind".

Well said Forest of Dean, plenty of people are making scaithing comments without facts to support them, however i guess that this is sadly part of life and happens accross the media and in general. Personally i look at constructively critising something that is tangible and can be quantified not pass judgement on a newspaper headline or a gossip column. By all means pass comment on what you think of our results, teams playing style and quality by pls dont personally attack an inidividual for under-achieving or gaining the support of others when they are trying to do their best. Just think and pause for a second and ponder " has every decision or judgement you have made in life turned out with the outcome you were ainming for".

This comes from Argyle fan who wants success, stability and progress, whom feels that we have lost direction and the gamble on CF was not the correct one, but will not attach an individuals integrity for trying to change things.

Mar 7, 2009
If Fletcher was the player who objected about members of the public watching them train, how come when Paul Mariner took charge he allowed people back into Harpers to watch?

Had Fletcher gone on holiday?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
We approached Mariner when he took over and told him what had happened, Paul said he would be delighted if fans wanted to watch the team train and if any player had a problem wiith it he would deal with it.

I agree it is up to the manager if he wants fans to watch the training but at the time Fletcher was just a player, Sturrock was under a lot of pressure at the tiime and this contributed to making the ban.
We were all shocked at Sturrocks decIsion because when Maxwalll was doing the warm up Paule would have quite a bit of banter with us, when he returned to Argyle the secong time he joked “I see the wanabee managers are still here”

Holloway said the players should be priviledged that the fans wanted to watch the trainingm

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Training ?? :oops:

Are you sure these guys go training ???? :facepalm:

Surely they would be fitter and be a lot sharper and more creative at set pieces if that was the case

I assumed they all turned up in the back of a transit van with a bag of oranges 10 mins before kick off having got away from work a bit early

Must be mistaken then :doh:

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

Does make the quality of the "training" questionable though ! :whistle:

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
[/quote]
I don't think you guys are any happier then when you're being miserable. What would you do after 5 pm on a saturday if Argyle won the league? You really would be miserable then[/quote]

BRIAN, if we won the league ever again I'd be over the moon and do what I've done every time we've won the league or had any sort of success in the past and that's go to the pub with my mates in a deliriously happy mood and celebrate. Either that or I'd stay home and have a few drinks with the wife and family but either way I'd get very p*ssed. :stout:

TBH Brian when we were playing well whether it was under Sturrock (MK1), Holloway, Pulis etc it didn't matter if we won the league or even won the match I was still happy because I knew the club was in the hands of a manager who knew what he was doing and we were moving in the right direction. I would regularly celebrate after matches regardless of the result because I was happy and excited at the state of the club and where we appeared to be heading.

Can you honestly say that is the case now? No it's not and every Argyle fan has the right to be both worried and angry at what's taking place right now and if that makes us miserable to boot then I would say that is a completely understandable scenario!

Anyone who doesn't feel this way I would suggest is either living in a bubble or looking at the whole situation through the proverbial tinted spectacles. :banghead:

Sep 6, 2006
Ed_Blackburn":2x3pckl7 said:
We don't but even if we had Pep Guardiola coaching the side I think people would be criticising every facet and every decision. My biggest fear is not if our manager is competent, if our coaching is competent, if our players are competent, if our tactics are competent. It's that so many fans have lost confidence. I look at the prior comments of the two Mr Evans' above and can see both are vehemently dissatisfied with the manager and anything associated. I could try and reason, try and explain, or justify decisions, rightly or wrongly; to no avail. Are they ignorant? Goodness knows, but does it matter, guys like Graham Evans and Steve Evans' are becoming the norm. That, more that even results worries me. Will we ever be able to address some of our long term footballing issues if we can't afford long term decisions?

So the long term decision ends up with us in the Conference then, potentially Ed. And no easy route out of there. You happy with that as a consequence?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
If you take Purse as an example when he came here last season he looked pretty sharp and fit, this season he has been the exact opposite.