(Can we have) Stadium expansion? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(Can we have) Stadium expansion?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Fans have been spoiled over the past few years but we have yet to see what will happen to crowds if we struggle continuously. I can assure you that our recent success is not the norm.
Weren't we spoiled with the two promotions in 3 seasons under Sturrock though? Our home gates going up to the Championship averaged 12,000 then, boosted by four crowds larger than we can currently fit in. Our first season up we averaged 16,400, again aided by several crowds close to 20,000.
Last season we averaged over 3,000 higher going up and would have averaged 3,000 higher now with the old capacity.
We were not close to selling out 16,500 tickets for two complete seasons then, with several thousand more wanting tickets.
There is no doubt that attendances are up everywhere at all levels compared to 20 years ago so even allowing for a small drop in demand I think the wider fan base now with more women, children and families attending and it being more of a day out for many, that we will see them hold up better than historically.
I was very much in favour of increasing a few years ago but currently prefer to see the other ongoing projects finished first as that is more for the long term benefit of the club.
If good demand is still there in a couple of years then I feel that will be the right time or more potential regulars could be lost. It is difficult to increase average gates with a ceiling of under 17,000.

Reactions: Mark58 and oldage
Jul 12, 2016
Attendances at HP are now much more diverse than they were 15 years ago. Just looking at the stands on Saturday and the kids, women and families in general were much more previlant. Hallett has spoken extensively about how they want to make it a much wider experience than simply the 90 minute match, and thats what they've done, and all that goes towards making it a much more appealing proposition. Yes, ultimately it comes down to whats on the pitch, but there appears to be a significantly increased level of demand which doesn't look to be diminishing.
No matter the diversity only diehard fans will turn up if we spend most of the season fighting relegation. Moreover if the season tickets have much of an increase it could deter ST renewals. I am also aware of a number of fans who are seriously considering not renewing their ST ‘s because of the ongoing fiasco with home supporters coaches parking arrangements at HP. May be deemed trivial by the club but for elderly supporters it is quite a concern.

Oct 10, 2018
I know this gets discussed a million times. However i cant believe the board wont be atleast considering expanding the stadium. Every game sold out this season, it would be so nice to atleast infill the rough eyesore corner near the devonport/ mayflower. That would probably add another 1000 or so seats, and that way we have more capacity to monitor how much demand there is without creating a giant empty white elephant (like MK Dons etc)
SH actually did mention in pod cast with legal company, this is part of the argyle financial strategy over next few years.

Nov 3, 2006
So why make a political comment then?

I don't think Argyle have the money to do anything significant to increase capacity, unless they know where Liz Truss was going to get the £45M to give unfunded tax cuts to the wealthiest 5% of people in the country.
But you are political, based on that. Please keep it to yourself.

• Unlike
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Apr 16, 2023
I guess it isn't financially viable, especially if say by the time it's finished, we go down next season, and then don't sell out in league one. Might be something they look at once we're comfy in the champ?

Definitely keen though. It frustrates me that we're right down the bottom of the league in terms of attendance numbers, but right up the other end in terms of attendance percentage

Mar 30, 2024
If someone had posted only five years ago, that they had dreamt of the current scenario of a waiting list of 3,000+ for season tickets; they would have been ridiculed and called 'deluded'. Football has grown exponentially in recent years. Even Exeter are getting crowds of 6,000 + and Torquay despite their sad demise have hardly seen a decline in their attendances.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff