Build up to Wigan | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Build up to Wigan

Jul 3, 2013
phil-thefluter24":2cmr3doa said:
phil-thefluter24":2cmr3doa said:
Balham_Green":2cmr3doa said:
Stiffler":2cmr3doa said:
Never liked Whealan or Wigan ever since he said the following.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "The money that comes into the league - over £1bn per year - should be divided equally.

"You should get something for finishing in the top four, but apart from that everybody should get an equal amount.

"Rugby League is like that - Wigan, Leeds, Bradford, St Helens get the same as Huddersfield and Wakefield."

Whelan added: "It's not fortunes, it's only £1.7m, but it's brought Rugby League together, and it's a fairer way. Now you don't know who is going to win.

"But in football we've got four teams - forget the rest. They are fighting for existence in that league.

"If you've the same four who are up there every single year, we're going to get bored. It worries me.
Think that's a fair point made!
"Next season, you know, I know, the rest of the nation knows that it's going to be Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea who are going to be the top four.

"That's not competition, and we must change that."

Whelan said: "If we all got £35-40m, rather than some clubs £25m or £30m, and the top clubs £50m or £60m, we could afford better players.

"That would lead to better competition and Manchester United and Chelsea not winning everything."

Well it’s ok for him to buy Ellington and Roberts for mega money back in the days, we still beat them up there :greensmile:

What on earth is wrong with that? You would prefer all the money went to Man.u etc?
Fair point made I agree with him

More the point of him moaning about how it’s an unfair playing field when the shoe is on the other foot, he quite liked the idea of him being able to buy his way to the top league when others couldn’t.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We might have Kelvin Mellor playing against us on Saturday. Both Wigan and Bradford have made a move to sign him.

Dec 2, 2010
Gather they've currently sold about 400 tickets of 750 allocation.

Must be looking at 11,000 + for this fixture.

Jan 7, 2016
Kernow
PL2 3DQ":6xpwnsap said:
We might have Kelvin Mellor playing against us on Saturday. Both Wigan and Bradford have made a move to sign him.
KM? I thought he was rubbish! Why would Wigan (with all their money) want to waste some on Mellor? Perhaps he is a lot better player than some thought.

Dec 3, 2005
Green_guile":8s61hrxr said:
PL2 3DQ":8s61hrxr said:
KM? I thought he was rubbish! Why would Wigan (with all their money) want to waste some on Mellor? Perhaps he is a lot better player than some thought.

He is.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I'm out with the in-laws in the evening so hope it's a good game!

It's a great feeling going into Argyle games without the expectation of the loss, such a great turn around I think we could top it off by winning on Saturday!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I forgot to check the form table, we are actually now TOP over the last 6 games.

Over the last 10 games, we are third and Wigan are second.

This will be a fascinating game.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
We can put down a real statement of intent if we can get at them and get a result. I look at their team and see it as a championship side.. some good players in that squad. Will be difficult but we're on a good run, I'd take a point.

Feb 8, 2005
Wigan playing against Bournemouth on Wednesday in FA Cup replay.

I wonder if it will have any effect on Saturday's game?

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
gaspargomez":3po1ivzb said:
Which one are you IJN ?

I can see Blackburn Rovers disappearing into the history books if they don't get promoted this year. They only have marginally bigger cxrowds than Argyle and are spending well beyond their means. Not what I am advocating at PAFC before you chip in.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 24601.html

The comparison with Rovers is actually quite an interesting one. I don't think that anyone would argue that Rovers are a bigger club in terms of history, but in terms of support, prior to the Jack Walker era, there wasn't much in it and Argyle often had the edge when they were in the same division. For example when both clubs were promoted from the old Div 3 in 1974/75, Argyle's average home gates were almost 2,000 a game higher. That continued during 75-77 in the Div 2 era. Into the 1980s and newly promoted Argyle again attracted higher gates than Rovers for the first two seasons. It was only from 1991 onwards that Rovers attracted five figure home attendances.

Wigan on the other hand have never been a big club and never will be. Even this season, their average attendances are below 10,000, can you imagine what Argyle's average would be if second in the table with a ground capacity of 20,000?! Wigan seem to be destined to be a yo yo club....enough dosh to get into the championship but not big enough any more to survive there and prosper....

However I've no axe to grind with Wigan. I enjoyed it when they were in the premier league, just like I enjoy seeing teams like Bournemouth and Burnley upsetting the big boys this season. For me, their story gives hope that one day Argyle could also hit the heights.

Oct 14, 2015
Looking at Wigans last 4 games at home and their last 4 away I'm thinking I'd rather be playing them at their place. There finding it difficult to score at home. but away from its impressive including a 7-0 win at Oxford. That said our home form is impresssive so should be a good encounter ..

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
jimsing":jdvnm666 said:
Wigan playing against Bournemouth on Wednesday in FA Cup replay.

I wonder if it will have any effect on Saturday's game?

Just a day's recovery then a lengthy trip down South (presumably they'll travel down on Friday). Far from ideal for them I'd have thought!

Let's hope for a close match tonight that goes into extra time ...

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I'm hoping for extra time and penalties on Wednesday. A point on Saturday would be good, 3 points would be outstanding.