Build up to Wigan | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Build up to Wigan

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":3klpqia0 said:
Quintrell_Green":3klpqia0 said:
After tonight's result versus Bournemouth, I am not sure whether Wigan will be knackered for Saturday, or over confident!
I think it will have had some affect. It is not just the match this evening - it is that plus a long coach journey south so quickly afterwards. Sitting around is not the best way to rid yourself of lactic acid deposits. But champions and prospective champions have to overcome these things. I think it is advantage Argyle, if for no other reason than I could never think anything else, no matter what the evidence!

It was a bit of a concern this morning to read a report on last night's match that Wigan made 5 changes from their team that performed last Saturday. At best one could say that the manager fears Argyle rather than he did Bournemouth. On the other hand he could be prioritising winning the League over the FA Cup. Just like Argyle eh?

Aug 11, 2013
If you were Derek Adams how would you approach this game in terms of selection and tactics.

Go on the offensive by playing our new more adventurous attacking style with Lamieras or

bring back Songo, get 9 outfield players behind the ball, with Taylor playing the lone role up front.

Either way I think we're on for a defeat.

Playing expansive football will give them more room and they'll hammer us. Sit and eventually they'll break us down. Not too confident for Sat.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Tight at the back but maintaining a threat upfront to keep them from piling everyone bar a CD at us

Jul 2, 2014
I will be surprised if Adams changes anything tactically from the last sequence of matches. He does not usually chop-and-change when a system is working.

Just Vyner or Songo'o filling in for Edwards (best wishes & stay strong).

Fox, Ness and Sarcevic will most likely remain the middle trio. I suspect that one possible change (at some point) may be moving Thelkeld into center and moving Fox forward to replace Ness or Sarcevic. However, I think it very unlikely against Wigan unless there is a forced change in tactics.

I expect Adams to stay with Carey and Lameiras going at their defense with Jervis and Grant on the bench to provide defensive width if Wigan prove too strong down the lines. While Carey and Lameiras can leave us exposed wide, their mobility and runs at defenses mean that we always look like we can score and forces opponents to maintain a strong defense and not play high up the field (taking pressure off our defense and allowing us to play more advanced.).

Jervis is also our de facto cover for Taylor until another striker comes in.

I wonder if Letherin will replace Cooper on the bench or whether there will be no change until after his (Letherin's) run out with the reserves next week.

Apr 5, 2008
themightykeithfear":2szgdfy9 said:
Argyle now 7.0 on betfair !!!

If you go on current form,then that price is absurd.

Both team on great run of form.

You would think a draw is the most likely outcome,with Argyle Maybe nicking it 1-0 :scarf:

Mar 8, 2016
arrythewurzel":1l4f7tb1 said:
If you were Derek Adams how would you approach this game in terms of selection and tactics.

Go on the offensive by playing our new more adventurous attacking style with Lamieras or

bring back Songo, get 9 outfield players behind the ball, with Taylor playing the lone role up front.

Either way I think we're on for a defeat.

Playing expansive football will give them more room and they'll hammer us. Sit and eventually they'll break us down. Not too confident for Sat.

I think derek will play the same way as we have been in recent games, the new lad will go in at centre back and maybe songo instead of Ness. Seriously tough match this. I’m expecting nothing so anything else is a bonus really. Should be a decent crowd again after the run we’ve been on.

Feb 8, 2005
I suspect Songoo will partner Bradley with the new lad on the bench, unless he has been able to do a lot in training.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
I reckon we'll see one of our classic away performances at home...

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
ping_g5":m2uvb0tf said:

Which we did indeed at their place on 26/9; let’s hope that we’re better positioned ( which I think we are) to turn such a steely performance, as we did that evening, into a better outcome than when we were cruelly ( but maybe I’m biased!) unlucky with that 82nd minute Sokolik penalty.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Ray_Stidwell":1kt9nh9m said:
ping_g5":1kt9nh9m said:

Which we did indeed at their place on 26/9; let’s hope that we’re better positioned ( which I think we are) to turn such a steely performance, as we did that evening, into a better outcome than when we were cruelly ( but maybe I’m biased!) unlucky with that 82nd minute Sokolik penalty.

At which Songo put on one of the best individual performances I have ever seen from an Argyle player.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
D’you know, I felt so disappointed ( cheated even) for us all, players especially, but fans also. If we had “held out” it would have been such a fillip for us all, but that goal just “put paid to all that”....leaving us with “ just another defeat for the record books”

At least, three week starts later we did get that feeling with that sterling performance, & just desserts with the draw at Ewood Park ( along with the fabulous GC10 goal & SuperCooper’s “blooding” so superbly supported by Sonny & Ryan Eddy....& of course ATS’s stunning last ditch goal line clearance to prevent a repeat of the Wigan deflation.