Build up to Wigan | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Build up to Wigan

Jul 3, 2013
Never liked Whealan or Wigan ever since he said the following.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "The money that comes into the league - over £1bn per year - should be divided equally.

"You should get something for finishing in the top four, but apart from that everybody should get an equal amount.

"Rugby League is like that - Wigan, Leeds, Bradford, St Helens get the same as Huddersfield and Wakefield."

Whelan added: "It's not fortunes, it's only £1.7m, but it's brought Rugby League together, and it's a fairer way. Now you don't know who is going to win.

"But in football we've got four teams - forget the rest. They are fighting for existence in that league.

"If you've the same four who are up there every single year, we're going to get bored. It worries me.

"Next season, you know, I know, the rest of the nation knows that it's going to be Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea who are going to be the top four.

"That's not competition, and we must change that."

Whelan said: "If we all got £35-40m, rather than some clubs £25m or £30m, and the top clubs £50m or £60m, we could afford better players.

"That would lead to better competition and Manchester United and Chelsea not winning everything."

Well it’s ok for him to buy Ellington and Roberts for mega money back in the days, we still beat them up there :greensmile:

Sep 6, 2006
Stiffler":26ag0395 said:

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "The money that comes into the league - over £1bn per year - should be divided equally.

"You should get something for finishing in the top four, but apart from that everybody should get an equal amount.

"Rugby League is like that - Wigan, Leeds, Bradford, St Helens get the same as Huddersfield and Wakefield."

Whelan added: "It's not fortunes, it's only £1.7m, but it's brought Rugby League together, and it's a fairer way. Now you don't know who is going to win.

"But in football we've got four teams - forget the rest. They are fighting for existence in that league.

"If you've the same four who are up there every single year, we're going to get bored. It worries me.

"Next season, you know, I know, the rest of the nation knows that it's going to be Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea who are going to be the top four.

Whelan said: "If we all got £35-40m, rather than some clubs £25m or £30m, and the top clubs £50m or £60m, we could afford better players.

"That would lead to better competition and Manchester United and Chelsea not winning everything."

Well it’s ok for him to buy Ellington and Roberts for mega money back in the days, we still beat them up there :greensmile:

What on earth is wrong with that? You would prefer all the money went to Man.u etc?

Sep 13, 2003
I like Dave Whelan and the Rugby League approach is a good model. Not entirely sure what point you are making Stiffler.

L

lambanog

Balham_Green":1rllnvf3 said:
TinTin":1rllnvf3 said:
Can I help ?

I will be laying on the beach in The Philippines [30C] drinking cold beer !!

How CAN I help ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

I get annoyed by these posts with nothing to do with the thread but boasting about what a good time they are having (whilst we are all freezing our B~lls off). Ever heard of Twitter of Facebook?

Just to enlighten you, Tin Tin is residing in Chengdu, which is in China where the likes of Twitter and Facebook are banned thank god.

dennis the menace":3211v690 said:
Balham_Green":3211v690 said:
TinTin":3211v690 said:
Can I help ?

How CAN I help ?

I get annoyed by these posts with nothing to do with the thread but boasting about what a good time they are having (whilst we are all freezing our B~lls off). Ever heard of Twitter of Facebook?

Miserable sod! :roll:

Well said Dennis

How is life back in UK ?

For BG's sore ears, my comments are NOT boastful.

Simply sharing the fact that I cannot share the cold weather with you !!

An exchange of thoughts, opinions and views plus a chance of communication with old Pasoti friends via a thread ?

Sep 6, 2006
TinTin":17bxy9nv said:
dennis the menace":17bxy9nv said:
Balham_Green":17bxy9nv said:
TinTin":17bxy9nv said:
Can I help ?

How CAN I help ?

Well said Dennis

How is life back in UK ?

An exchange of thoughts, opinions and views plus a chance of communication with old Pasoti friends via a thread ?

So saying you are on a beach in the Philippines is exchanging views is it?

Well done BG !

Wherever you are..................

Whatever you do....................

it DOES give you an opportunity to express your views and opinions on ANYTHING ?

Your environment MAY influence such thoughts, but that IS life ?

Try it yourself ?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":1eb9bi55 said:
TinTin":1eb9bi55 said:
dennis the menace":1eb9bi55 said:
Balham_Green":1eb9bi55 said:
TinTin":1eb9bi55 said:
Can I help ?

How CAN I help ?

Well said Dennis

How is life back in UK ?

So saying you are on a beach in the Philippines is exchanging views is it?

I suspect Tin Tin has got lovely views. :D

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
GreenArmy1984":1ee9sfge said:
Hospitality Sold out vs Wigan

Commercial & Marketing teams doing a great job

COYGs

Maybe they've undersold them.

Not doing such a great job.

Sep 6, 2006
TinTin":2pu7xgg0 said:
Well done BG !

Wherever you are..................

Whatever you do....................

it DOES give you an opportunity to express your views and opinions on ANYTHING ?

Your environment MAY influence such thoughts, but that IS life ?

Try it yourself ?

Yeah good try but bullsh*t

Apr 9, 2011
Balham_Green":283pgb7y said:
Stiffler":283pgb7y said:

Think that's a fair point made!

What on earth is wrong with that? You would prefer all the money went to Man.u etc?

Apr 9, 2011
phil-thefluter24":1q8274lh said:
Balham_Green":1q8274lh said:
Stiffler":1q8274lh said:

Think that's a fair point made!

Fair point made I agree with him