Broom could be sold by Posh ... Aberdeen interested | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Broom could be sold by Posh ... Aberdeen interested

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Totally agree. I think we see thru this now that they are just trying to drum up interest and spark a bidding war. If Peterborough want £250k then he won’t be coming to Argyle permanently and nor would I want him to for that sort of money during a economic crisis football-wise.

I’d be prepared to pay £100k but no more, and if we did pay more I’d be pretty cheesed off that we’d spend that sort of money on a player that has no re-sale value particularly because the fans dipped into their own pockets to help the club by not getting season tickets refunds during Covid.

Why does he have no re-sale value? That would be one of my main reasons in FAVOUR of getting him permanently, as he's only 25.

Or is 25 too old now? o_O

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It's an interesting one. Peterborough can only sell Broom if he agrees to move to whatever club wants to buy him. If he decides not to then I assume that he would have to continue with his loan at Argyle. Then, in the summer it would become a matter for Peterborough and Broom to agree on what happens next. This may work in Argyle's favour if Broom DOESN'T want to move elsewhere as Peterborough might be more inclined to take a lower fee and have money to play with in the transfer market now rather than wait until the summer.

The other thing that I'm thinking is that Broom seems to have slipped out of the starting line-up a bit and so he might be feeling less attached to Argyle than he was when his involvement and performances were at their peak. He might be looking at the squad and the signing of Lewis yesterday and wondering quite where he will fit in - but I guess footballers must be used to this kind of thing and it only takes one injury or a player moving on for a gap in the starting line-up to emerge. My assumption was that Broom would replace Camara during the AFCON period and, if so, that gives him an immediate route back into the team for now.

Reactions: watkin

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We all know what Peterborough are about- Barry Fry stirring the pot advising what they are hoping to do & how many clubs are interested - anything to start a bidding war
When you have players on loan you are not in control & can have the rug pulled from under you
What will be will be- but we certainly will not be held to ransom by the delightful Mr Fry :rolleyes:

Feb 23, 2008
It's an interesting one. Peterborough can only sell Broom if he agrees to move to whatever club wants to buy him. If he decides not to then I assume that he would have to continue with his loan at Argyle. Then, in the summer it would become a matter for Peterborough and Broom to agree on what happens next. This may work in Argyle's favour if Broom DOESN'T want to move elsewhere as Peterborough might be more inclined to take a lower fee and have money to play with in the transfer market now rather than wait until the summer.

The other thing that I'm thinking is that Broom seems to have slipped out of the starting line-up a bit and so he might be feeling less attached to Argyle than he was when his involvement and performances were at their peak. He might be looking at the squad and the signing of Lewis yesterday and wondering quite where he will fit in - but I guess footballers must be used to this kind of thing and it only takes one injury or a player moving on for a gap in the starting line-up to emerge. My assumption was that Broom would replace Camara during the AFCON period and, if so, that gives him an immediate route back into the team for now.
Doesn't it depend on the loan contract as to whether his spell with us might continue or not?

I'm sure we had a player on loan last season who their parent club wanted back, but we could actually say no because there wasn't a recall option? Would Broom have to continue or is there a non-recall clause perhaps?

He's played a fair few games for an on-loan player so I'm not sure he'd be less attached to the club, he's been in the game long enough to know there's ups and downs at any club so hopefully he likes the place as much as he says he does, although I'd suspect money will talk in the end.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
On our terms or he leaves.

Simples

Totally agree. We should not be held to ransom for a player we might want but the fact remains he's not currently a 1st team player right now. We should have our valuation, and if Peterboro want more then we tell them where to stick it and see if another club is prepared to pay more, otherwise he's back with us for he rest of the season. We hold the power here.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Doesn't it depend on the loan contract as to whether his spell with us might continue or not?

I'm sure we had a player on loan last season who their parent club wanted back, but we could actually say no because there wasn't a recall option? Would Broom have to continue or is there a non-recall clause perhaps?

He's played a fair few games for an on-loan player so I'm not sure he'd be less attached to the club, he's been in the game long enough to know there's ups and downs at any club so hopefully he likes the place as much as he says he does, although I'd suspect money will talk in the end.
Indeed. I was basing my comments on the notion that it is a season-long loan with the only recall clause being for if Peterborough sell him in January. That's based on what has been reported quite often (season long loan with no recall) and then more recently (January recall for sale only).

Yes, money may well talk, especially if the £ difference between options is large.

Reactions: chunkymonkey78
Feb 23, 2008
Indeed. I was basing my comments on the notion that it is a season-long loan with the only recall clause being for if Peterborough sell him in January. That's based on what has been reported quite often (season long loan with no recall) and then more recently (January recall for sale only).

Yes, money may well talk, especially if the £ difference between options is large.
I hadn't seen the no recall report, apologies.

Would rather he stayed though, not only is there the fact he's a great player who seems to influence games more than his stats might suggest, there's also team morale to consider.

For instance it may or may not have taken a blow with the way Lowe left but if a team that is playing well loses a key player then perhaps others heads might start to turn?

It's the joys of having loan players play well and put themselves in the shop window I guess.

Dec 3, 2005
I like Broom in the team and I want him to stay.
But he has been messed about recently and may be fed up not knowing if he is in the starting 11 or not.

Reactions: oldage