Brief Synopsis!!! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Fletcher S started alongside Feeney up front. Walton absence with a shoulder injury (playing the last few injured?) so fresh chance for Connor Hourihane. MacDonald dropped to the bench and Young and Bhasera to carry on after their Swindon performances with Hemmings and Macca to come on later with fresh legs.

2) Fantastic if not Flukey start! Wotton intercepted a weak clearance and his pass found Young who cut inside and was fouled. Williams' kick took a massive deflection but they all count! Almost became 2 minutes later when Bhas (?) put in Young but his volley was well saved. He had another shot charged down from the resulting passage of play.

3) Fletcher and Feeney had a great first-half and showed some good understanding. Fletcher in particular dominating the centre backs, getting fouled and getting nothing for it. With about 20 to go in the first Feeney went wide right with Young moving behind Fletcher. We lost shape and effectiveness.

4) Oxford equaliser came after a good period of possession for them. Hourihane (I have to admit) failed to close down the advancing the player and his shot flew over a slightly advanced Cole. Good finish though. Half-time score a fair reflection of the game. Oxford looking the more cultured and composed, Argyle with the more shots and greater pressure on the opposing 'keeper.

5) Wotton special at the start of the second was deflected wide by Feeney! Feeney then committed a foul on the edge of the Argyle area the free-kick off which bounced off the inside of Cole's left-hand post and wide. It was clear that the 4-5-1 wasn't working and Oxford created more and more opportunities. With 30 to go MacDonald replaced Feeney. Shame really as Feeney had played well until being sent wide.

6) Young went wide with Macca playing behind Fletcher. Suddenly Argyle seemed rejuvenated. Bhasera's lack of control let him down and Fletcher had a weak header wide.

7) With time running out and the game opening up at both ends Oxford won a corner but the ref didn't win any frIends in Oxford for blowing for an Argyle free-kick. Chadwick replaced Fletcher. Argyle dropped deep and Argyle gave the ball away far too cheaply.

8 ) Fletcher my man of the match but the back 4 had good games. Hourihane still giving the ball away too much. Bhasera still a bit off the pace. Feeney good up front but poor out wide. Wotton did the dirty stuff. Their 'keeper was good entertainment.

9) Ref bought a lot of dives. Lyndhurst linesman in the first missed a clear off-side for Oxford and then gave Argyle a free kick when Bhasera clearly put it out! First yellow was for Wotton for persistent fouling. Could have produced more cards but was lenient throughout.

10) Reasonable support numbers wise from Oxford but then - next to nothing distance wise (is anywhere for them!!?). Ignorant chanting from them through the choir at the start. Very quiet until they scored. Argyle crows up and down as goals went in in various games.

Great scenes at the end.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We’ve only gone and done it!

The Great Escape – twice in the same season! What a fantastic achievement.

With one point from the first nine games of the season and the club still in administration a grand old football club looked set for relegation to the Conference or even worse – liquidation!

Somehow we did it and it was appropriate that a rearguard action against Oxford sealed the point we needed, because our success over the last few months has been built on a rock solid defence.

The match itself was not much to write home about apart from a bizarre second half performance from the ref who up until the 45th minute was hardly noticed.

We had a great start when a free-kick from Williams was deflected in and Young had two chances to increase the lead but the Oxford keeper made two great saves.

As in other home games when we've taken an early lead we sat back and invited Oxford onto us. Fletch changed to a 4-4-1-1 formation with Young playing in the hole and Feeney playing on the right and we tried soak up the pressure and play up to Steve Fletcher.

The game had hardly any goalmouth action and neither keeper had much to do apart from the two early chances from Young.

MacDonald played in the hole for the second half with Young moving back to the right and S Fletcher did well to last so long before being replaced by Chadwick.

Not a great game except for the point we gained and of course it was the game that sealed our survival.

Big shouts to Wotton, Purse and S Fletcher who showed their experience.

What a season!

Jul 29, 2010
Really appreciate your efforts this season Mark. Today however you'll forgive me for not reading it as it doesn't matter. It's just one game in a monumental season, the achievement of safety in which is the beginning middle and end of all that matters.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Ade the green":eckmmld4 said:
twist of lime":eckmmld4 said:
Were Argyle fans allowed on the pitch to celebrate at the end ?

I certainly hope so as they deserve it

COYG

No fans in the country are allowed on the pitch. Did the fans go on the pitch?

No - of course not.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Job done. A great but fortunate start and from then on we offered very little to worry Oxford who as a result dominated with neat football at times. Defensively though we were sound and it took a great shot to equalise - questionmark against Cole for me. The introduction of MacDonald was badly needed and when Fletcher eventually consented we became more threatening.

Purse and Blanchard again the best Argyle players, but I have to say Michael Duberry was simply outstanding in my book - showed his class.

Happy days - the phoenix rises.

X Isle":hpswt9qm said:
Really appreciate your efforts this season Mark. Today however you'll forgive me for not reading it as it doesn't matter. It's just one game in a monumental season, the achievement of safety in which is the beginning middle and end of all that matters.
Like. Is this the turning point ?
Mike

So pleased I picked this game as my first since last August ! Now on the coach back to North Cornwall and still buzzing from the scenes at the end. I am man enough to say I had a wetness in my eyes as I witnessed the great escape part two!

For reasons I will not go into I thought I would not see this season end, now I have seen Argyle achieve what many said was the impossible.

I was surprised at some of the quality of the Argyle players, for me Argyle have a ' wee gem' in Young, but in the first half I thought we dominated it apart from their goal, an opportunistic shot that caught Joe Cole out!

Great atmosphere, lovely singing by The Military Wives Choir, first time I have heard them, wonderful atmosphere at the end, as I said it brought tears to my eyes to see what it meant to ALL the Argyle squad. Our defence is strong, as good as the best in Div 2, IMHO, midfield is weak, Fletcher S and Feeny seemed to gel quite well.

It means so much to me to see the team I have supported since the very early 1960's manage to stay up.

Well done Mr Brent and ALL the Argyle Management and team squad.

Aug 24, 2005
Hey TG.

Your updates on Mini chat as well as Sparksy were much appreciated.

I'm glad you were there to see it.

RESURGAM

Sep 18, 2009
Magnificent performances by Purse, Blanchard, Wotton and Fletcher. Young not far behind. Hourihane had a bit of a mare and Cole at fault for Oxford's goal (too far off his line).

I'll hit the bottle tonight for all the right reasons.

Oct 24, 2010
Defence outstanding yet again, Oxford had the best of it in the first half but our wide players tucked in more in the second and we had more of the ball. Few chances and not much of a game but who cares, can relax now and enjoy "el classico"