Bradley update 12.06.18: Signs for Luton | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bradley update 12.06.18: Signs for Luton

Oct 14, 2015
The revenge of Nathan Jones not getting the Argyle job, go out and sign couple of their best players (arguably) Jervis and Bradley.... Whose next?? :):)

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
We're interested in Nigerian international Efe Ambrose if the Herald is anything to go by. See rumours.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Wasn't it mentioned at the time that the likes of Reid and Hartley were offered "derisory" contracts before turning them down? Is this just how Adams operates, winning comes first and personalities and friendships fall in behind. Look at the way Brewster was let go, a pretty much "don't bother coming back".

It may well be that Adams simply thinks we can do better. Bradley was solid and a real asset in our defence but the difference someone with Vyner's pace and calmness on the ball cannot be overstated, on his day the lad turned defence into attack with ease, something that the Bradley and Edwards partnership lacked and something Adams possibly aims to address now that he's seen L1 for himself. If so, with Edwards being younger with more room to grow we have kept the right man of the two.

On the face of it, it seems a bit ruthless but who knows what truly goes on in Adams' head. It could well be his way of saying "thank you for your service, if you can't find anything out there then there's still a place here for you if you need it but sadly I don't see you as a starter anymore so this is all I'll offer" as much as it could be the best we can offer. Nobody actually knows.

Thank you for everything Sonny, you'll be missed down here. For Argyle though we press on and keep growing.

May 16, 2016
Imagine the uproar if Adams had indeed sold Bradley to 'a Luton' in January. It would have bought yelps of short termism and unnecessarily cashing in on our best assets. He'd have been hung for breaking up a settled Team etc etc.

Now as his Contract draws to a close, he's decided to move on, probably for more money - It happens. Time will tell who has best spent their money.

There's now cries of us not being able to compete financially. There's a difference between 'can't and wont' pay somebody's Agents valuation of themselves and, regardless of what anybody's best mate on Twitter (FFS) might say, Argyle might just have decided that they won't pay.

I expect theres still PTSD Counselling going on over Larrieu and Friio leaving. Bradley leaving isn't the end of our yet to start Season. His replacement was quickly unveiled, so no shock flouncy departures as far as the Management were concerned.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Mork":yfw1470e said:
jimsing":yfw1470e said:
TJH":yfw1470e said:
He was an excellent signing and an important player for us.

Of course players come and go. Hopefully DA can get in an even better replacement.

However the club doesn’t have the finances to keep allowing players with potential resale value to keep leaving for nothing. DA would have a much better chance of getting in a better centre half with £250k in his back pocket

Adams had the opportunity to sell Bradley to Luton in January but decided against it.

Give Adams a bit of slack. He knows what he is doing.
Don’t understand how we’re supposed to build anything, when each season we have to rebuild, I don’t know if it’s Adams or Brent’s policy, either way I think it will ultimately end in failure. It may have worked for league 2. If we’re to get out out of league 1, surely we need to keep our best players & build.

It is very difficult to build anything long term in the modern game where players are free to go after a 12 month or two year contract expires and pick up a nice signing on fee elsewhere in lieu of the club securing a transfer fee as in years gone by. Adams success in Scotland was built on keeping the spine of the team as settled as possible and making fairly wholesale changes to the rest of the team. Perhaps he believes that hungry players with something to prove can be better than players settled in the comfort zone? I don't know, I am only guessing but I am sure Adams has much more idea than all or most of us.
Bradley has chosen to go with his 2 year contract up after spending 2 years with Crawley and 2 years with Pompey previously. A friend of mine who looks after an ex Argyle player's finances, a player who left Argyle when barely 20 and played for many top clubs in a lengthy career and on the international stage told me that the player felt the way for him to maximise his career earnings was to move every few years which is more or less what he did pocketing nice signing on fees from some sizeable transfer fees.
It is all very well people blaming the club or the salary offered but the player will seek the most he can get and if Adams thinks he can sign better or as good a player cheaper than for what Bradley is seeking he is not going to over pay and will use the money saved elsewhere. It is the sum of the parts with the budget available that matters and we have to trust Adams to spend it appropriately.
I will be sorry to see Bradley go, he did a good job for us but there are other seasoned pros out there capable of doing the same.
Threlkeld chose to play abroad and he wasn't going to stay unless we offered him silly money possibly and what is the sense in that?

Oct 31, 2015
I think some are worrying over nothing about our budget and with Luton throwing money around (let them).

To sign any of our players who signed on league 2 contracts will cost us a significant amount more this time round. I would suggest GC10, Sarcs and Ryan T were offered a good pay rise as DA sees them as key. I suspect Oscar , Sonny and maybe Gary Sawyer were offered less of a payrise.

DA probably thinks he can get the same quality or better without busting the bank on pay increases for our 4th teir players.
His style seems to be rebuild every summer and unless a player deserves a new bigger contracr then he wont offer one.

Sonny didnt have a good 1st quarter to the season and was found wanting against strikers who were fast and ran at him.

I for one am grateful for what he did for us in Green but now maybe a full new back 4 will need to play together.

Sep 6, 2006
We will miss his presence and leadership qualities as much as anything. Wonder if we offered him a longer contract last Summer. Shame not to get a fee

Mar 8, 2016
monkeywrench":2b5dubfz said:
We're interested in Nigerian international Efe Ambrose if the Herald is anything to go by. See rumours.

We’d have to pay a transfer fee, so we can safely nip that rumour in the bud.

C

Cult Of Personality

Trust the manager. He has made the call and he feels there is better out there then I argee with him. Bradley great for the long ball direct style of play in league 2 but with the top teams in league one playing the ball on the deck championship/premiership style he would struggle. If we are to kick on as a club we need players that can handle that style over the long ball style in league 2

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Army green":18hlxlv6 said:
monkeywrench":18hlxlv6 said:

Not necessarily. Hibs may want him off the wage bill.

And maybe we can afford a small fee.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
monkeywrench":16gz4jld said:
Army green":16gz4jld said:
monkeywrench":16gz4jld said:

But why would we take up his wages and pay a fee when we could've just put that money towards keeping Bradley? Doesn't make sense to me.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Nobby":2u8pdaty said:
monkeywrench":2u8pdaty said:
Army green":2u8pdaty said:
monkeywrench":2u8pdaty said:

But why would we take up his wages and pay a fee when we could've just put that money towards keeping Bradley? Doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe he's a better player. In DA we trust.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
rsp4":3590j365 said:
I think some are worrying over nothing about our budget and with Luton throwing money around (let them).

To sign any of our players who signed on league 2 contracts will cost us a significant amount more this time round. I would suggest GC10, Sarcs and Ryan T were offered a good pay rise as DA sees them as key. I suspect Oscar , Sonny and maybe Gary Sawyer were offered less of a payrise.

DA probably thinks he can get the same quality or better without busting the bank on pay increases for our 4th teir players.
His style seems to be rebuild every summer and unless a player deserves a new bigger contracr then he wont offer one.

Sonny didnt have a good 1st quarter to the season and was found wanting against strikers who were fast and ran at him.

I for one am grateful for what he did for us in Green but now maybe a full new back 4 will need to play together.

That's far too sensible a post for me :whistle:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Evans":1gp94qsk said:
perhaps nobby,the incoming centre backs are better than sonny?

Perhaps. But when you consider our defence (inc. GK) is now going to start the season with the potentially 5 players never having played together before, keeping part of the core of successful team with a good mentality is valuable and having Bradley on the team sheet would've been a good start. Not to mention he loved it here and has been excellent for two seasons barring a two month patch last Autumn. I always thought his attitude towards defending added to his game beyond his actual ability + now he's coming into his peak years and he was clearly a popular guy amongst the squad.

There's a reason we keep starting the season slowly, it's because every year we're bedding 10 new players in. We should be adding 5 or 6 each summer max, like we did in Adams first summer and we started really well. Our handling of contracts also needs to improve, because losing Threlkeld and Bradley for FREE is poor given combined they're easily worth £500k+.

There is every possibility Canavan may be more like Cannavaro and I'll trust DA's judgement on his squad because it's not my place to do otherwise. But I do personally believe not securing Sonny's signature is a big mistake.