Biggest without top flight football | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest without top flight football

May 16, 2016
Does any of this size comparison matter or count for anything ?

The bottom line is we've not played in the Top flight regardless of how many more or less Citizens we might have than somewhere North of Home Park.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Guiri Green":1hp4bew9 said:
Does any of this size comparison matter or count for anything ?

The bottom line is we've not played in the Top flight regardless of how many more or less Citizens we might have than somewhere North of Home Park.

Indeed so and to be fair to the OP, this wasn't started as a City of Plymouth thing. He was asking who is the biggest club never to have played in the top flight, ie that is why he mentioned Bristol Rovers. "Biggest club" though is very subjective.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
So in one post you say I’m talking about built up areas, then you post a Wikipedia list of built up areas to prove your point...

We’re not talking about built up areas, we’re talking about towns and cities. You’ll notice in that list that Plymouth’s built up area includes... just Plymouth. Swansea and Southend’s ‘built up area’ contains completely separate towns like Rayleigh, Rockford, Neath, Port Talbot etc etc so they’re completely misleading numbers.

Plymouth itself (263,000) is bigger than Southend and Swansea (both 180,000 odd), not ‘built up areas’ including everything in a 50 mile radius :lol:

Oh and we’re definitely the biggest CLUB, almost certainly so unsuccessful because of the location.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
City size is virtually irrelevant in terms of effect on success of a club. One thing matters above all and that is money. Bournemouth, for example, might have admirable qualities in pure footballing terms but there is significant financial backing to go with it. Then you can look at the likes of Crawley and Fleetwood. Not even successful non-league clubs and then all of a sudden they soar up the leagues. Money again.

Oct 16, 2016
edengreen":n0ytgmln said:
JannerinCardiff":n0ytgmln said:
If we were in the prem I’m sure we’d be able to have 25,000 regularly at home matches. I still believe we could be a decent sized club if we had the investment.

I have no doubt but 20k every week now would make that investment more likely ! Chicken and eggs spring to mind why should anyone put money in without the guarantee of growth it's in workable unless an argyle fan wins on euro millions and decides to pump 50 million in ! If I did it I would love to do that but not sure my wife would be so keen !
Nothing separates a fool and his money more that loose women fast cars a football clubs !!

20k crowds to watch the stuff served up at the moment?

Madness. Appreciate I have an ST and turn up week in and out but many of us do it because that’s what we do....the football often spoils a good day out over the years. That said I actually still enjoy it, football is either in your heart or not reckon

subbuteo

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 12, 2009
When we were in the championship our attendances dropped after the initial joy of being amongst the big boys. Further investment by the board led to where we are now.

Need big time investment and to hold the fans engagement beyond the initial reverie iof promotion to the so called big leagues.

Haven't got the answer but see a similar yo-yo situation in years to come to avoid another administration scenario.

We are a big team with fantastic support with a generally low income fanbase compared to more cosmopolitan clubs.

However, who's going to invest with a medium to long term outlook of mediocre attendances (compared to the likes of Sunderland etc) The new grandstand is perhaps a start.

l

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I might be on my own here but I think the Grandstand could be a big catalyst for us..

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
JannerinCardiff":4abnrhuj said:
I might be on my own here but I think the Grandstand could be a big catalyst for us..

You’re not.

Any success in the last 20-odd years was built on sand, the grandstand gives us the foundation to go forward on and off the pitch.

Oct 16, 2016
I don’t think so for a second. It creates an increase to the income stream but has a plateau. It also requires a period of repayment which will limit the income stream.

You also have to fill the seats to make money from the stadium (appreciate there will be an amount of corporate increase but nothing showstopping)
I’m not sure where people get this impression that the refurbished stand is the golden egg because it patently isn’t

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Shankster":291s83zi said:
I don’t think so for a second. It creates an increase to the income stream but has a plateau. It also requires a period of repayment which will limit the income stream.

You also have to fill the seats to make money from the stadium (appreciate there will be an amount of corporate increase but nothing showstopping)
I’m not sure where people get this impression that the refurbished stand is the golden egg because it patently isn’t

It will pay for itself and then some..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Shankster":7lz2o0re said:

You’re entitled to your opinion, but we’ll just have to disagree on this one..

Oct 16, 2016
The ‘promised land’ (that’s subjective in itself) is based on commercial ventures (sponsorship), TV deals, shirt sales and rich oligarchs who want a shiny plaything and a seat at the big table.

Match day income is a nice-to-have that pays for the gas bill and council tax. Unfortunately that’s the ugly nature of football today.

The ‘boys club’ is difficult to break into and utterly impossible to maintain a position in unless you have limitless funds. Mike Ashley (a billionaire) has STATED IMPLICITLY that he does not have the ‘means’ to take NUFC forward, indeed they are struggling financially

That’s the nature and vulgarity of football today

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I don’t for a minute think we can compare to the likes of Newcastle, more that the Grandstand will improve our income streams and help us compete better with the bigger sides in L1 (not Sunderland).