Biggest without top flight football | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest without top flight football

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Southampton Hake":157gioin said:
Does York, population 208,000 get a mention on any list? Now playing at level 6 of the pyramid.

Behind Plymouth come...... by population

Westminster
York
Peterborough
Chelmsford
Canterbury
St. Albans
Preston
Lancaster
Cambridge
Gloucester

Oct 16, 2016
There’s some proper sh@itholes in that list

Plymouth is a huge city with a great history, it’s purely a lack of investment that has been the issue when it comes to top echelon football.

Sep 6, 2006
Shankster":tzgnaxh9 said:

Plymouth is a huge city with a great history, it’s purely a lack of investment that has been the issue when it comes to top echelon football.

Which are the sh@tholes?

Jan 20, 2004
As far as I am aware, until 1994 we were the only club in the country to have only played in the 2nd or 3rd divisions of English football for over 100 years, having never played in the 1st or 4th.

May 22, 2006
Guiri Green":1bu29czk said:
Ham Green":1bu29czk said:
For context, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIBY-bjeNR8

Clubs mentioned are Brentford, Luton, Argyle, Preston, Notts County, Millwall and Bristol City.

Other Youtube videos offering different opinions on the same subject are available.

I thought Notts County had played Top Flight Football ?

Most of those teams have played top flight football, in fact Preston were the first invincibles about 120 years before Arsenal. But none of them have played in the Prem.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
pafcprogs":basi9mjf said:
Biggest city without top flight football?

Glasgow surely???

Rangers / Celtic?

May 8, 2011
Not sure this adds to the debate but an Evertonian friend pointed this out yesterday, Argyle, second bottom in league 1 had 583 fans at Southend, Bournemouth had 587 at Goodson.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Attendances doesn't dictate if you're a big team, club or city.
We take a lot of fans everywhere, we could've gone out of business and been a phoenix club and would still take hundreds to away games.
We like to think we are big, unlucky etc but we are where we are for many reasons so only as big as our position dictates.
We will one day have top flight football, but for now be content with fighting to stay in the third tier.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Shankster":20fhqkku said:

Really? I'd agree with Peterborough and Preston and I've never been to Chelmsford, but the rest are all very pleasant places.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I think celtic and rangers will join the Premier league one day., they play in a very pointless league currently.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mike E":2u6oebpe said:
As far as I am aware, until 1994 we were the only club in the country to have only played in the 2nd or 3rd divisions of English football for over 100 years, having never played in the 1st or 4th.
Interesting point this. Argyle did not join the Football League until 1920. Certainly everything I use as a reference is based upon 1920 as a start of League football for Argyle. However, some may look at 1903 when they were in the Southern League and count that as a third division (the Football League added a second division in 1892). But if you take out the war years when there was no official competition then 100 years of playing would have taken until well into the 2000s.