Best Argyle game EVER | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Argyle game EVER

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Colchester 3-1 to get to Wembley.

I've never felt like that at a football ground before or after.

A wonderful night. It had everything.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
IJN":38yawhs3 said:
Colchester 3-1 to get to Wembley.

I've never felt like that at a football ground before or after.

A wonderful night. It had everything.

Yep, same for me.

May 8, 2011
April 8th 2017. 2-1 win at Crawley, just for the sheer joy of being part of the celebrations at full time when we knew it was not if we will get promoted but when we get promoted.

Sep 25, 2010
Princerock":2itnf7k1 said:
I can go along with the...."game you go along to out of loyalty, expecting nothing"......January 1967 at the Old Den against unbeaten at home for 59 games Millwall. We had the worst away record in the league (2pts) and won 2-1 and then smuggling myself out of a very hostile place after the final whistle.

I was also there that day, you are right, very very hostile.

My dad got beaten up after the game, good win though

Apr 29, 2016
Kentishgreen":fvsy6flm said:
Surprised no ones mentioned the semi final game at Villa Park but for me itā€™s the home game against Fulham over Christmas 1975. Argyle 4nil up at halftime and a certain Mr R Moore being given the runaround by Mariner and Rafferty. So much so he was subbed at halftime. There was talk of too much Christmas cheer being involved but who cares!

Yep Mariner really gave Bobby the run around. One of the best games that I can recall too. Argyle v Cardiff 2006 was good too when we were 0-3 down at home and watched us get a 3-3 draw from the Devenport End. Santos was special too what a winner Jimmy Hinch!!

Feb 28, 2016
gosisapilgrim":2b3bduyp said:
Beating QPR 2-0 to win promotion to Division one in 2004. Atmosphere was superb.

Probably mine too. I know some find my age hard to believe, but all mine are recent.

Trigger was my childhood hero so his last game against Ipswich and scoring in front of the DE is definitely up there.

Cardiff 3-3 also sticks out.

Portsmouth play-off home leg for the scenes that ensured.

Perhaps (an unsurprising) wild card for me, but the U18s knocking out Man City in the FA Youth Cup, under the Home Park lights, never been prouder to be an Argyle fan and it will live long in the memory.

Jan 8, 2006
Chelsea 2 v Argyle 2 Nov 1975

My dad mistakenly bought the tickets in with the Chelsea fans in the old grandstand at the time. I was 16 at the time and we went 2-0 down by half-time. I had my Argyle hat and scarf on and the Chelsea fans kept having a go and laughing at me when Argyle conceded. Game changed totally in the second half with a brace from Mariner. When the equaliser went in I turned around and held my Argyle scarf up proudly. Due to the torrents of abuse I was receiving dad made us leave just before the end. A great feeling though and seeing all those Argyle fans in the away end going mad when we scored.

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
Beating Preston 6-4 in 1984 was pretty exillerating as was the 6-3 win over Leeds in 87.

In terms of adrenaline, excitement, drama and emotion nothing can beat the Colchester game as others have already mentioned.

What a game and night!

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Pogleswoody":1ugas7je said:
Away to First Division QPR in the League Cup. We were told that we'd be thrashed that night too!
0-3!! :scarf:

I second that. Great day out in London beforehand and a trip back to Plymouth on 'the milk train', arriving just in time to change and go in to the office for a day's work. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week... :D

jespafc

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Sheff Weds 1-3 Argyle (21 Oct 2003)

We demolished Sheff Weds that night, it was like men against boys and it was amazing seeing our team do that against a famous old club like Wednesday in a famous old ground.

The atmosphere in the away end was incredible and I think we all left the ground that night already pretty certain that promotion was coming even though it was only October!

:scarf:

Tynan One Nil":3l71ztm0 said:
JannerinCardiff wrote
My all time fav was West Brom 2-5 Argyle, Steve Castle scoring best hat-trick Iā€™ve ever seen live. All if the 50 Argyle fans in the away end were all doing the conga !!!
ā€œGame after weā€™d lost 0-3 at home to Exeterā€

Lucky enough to be one of the 50! One of those games you go to out of loyalty expecting nothing,but then come away rewarded with a famous win,with goals to match - a good away day.

Me too. Coming back on the coach we had a Man of the Match sweepstake, not the closest one ever! I also remember that trip for another reason, the day after my 24th birthday. Driving up on the M5, there is an elevated section just before the turn off to The Hawthorns. On both sides it was just gloomy factories and warehouses, and a old spire, on the left, church or factory I'm not sure. I thought at the time "what a dump, who on earth would ever live here" (or words to that effect).

A few months later my life turned upside down and I moved to Birmingham, and 8 years later I'd bought a house not four miles from that spire.

Nov 6, 2011
Forest 0-3 Argyle 2005. Dismantled and all but relegated the former 2 time European champions. Good times to be an Argyle fan.

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
2 of mine fall in consecutive games in the (what is now) League 1 promotion season of 2003-2004. The 5-1 win at Port Vale (with Friio's 30 yard screamer into the top corner, right in front of us), followed by us playing Wednesday off the park at Hillsborough in a 3-1 win, with Friio making it 4 in 2 games with another brace. What a week- it has never felt better.

Aug 22, 2006
GreenThing":1ethzb6t said:
Beating Leeds 6-3, 1987 I think.

I remember this result coming through on the vidiprinter on grandstand... I was only about 6 at the time and I used to fill in my fathers pools coupon. I just thought "amazing!" Didn't we also beat Huddersfield 6-1 that season?