Best 3 games not involving Argyle. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best 3 games not involving Argyle.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
loyal1970":m6oswnlw said:
1. England v Argentina world cup 1998 saint-etienne stood behind the goal and witnessed a wonder goal from Michael owen made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and if it wasn't for that plonker beckham we would have stuffed the Argies that night.

2.Munich 2001 England 5 Germany 1 incredible night.

3.conference north final 2015 Guiseley beat Chorley 3-2 after being 2 down the ground at Chorley and the atmosphere reminded me of a game from the 70s.

I'm still amazed at the level of vilification that Beckham received for that red card. I'm surprised the referee avoided censure because that was a terrible decision! And the real villain (Simeone) didn't even get booked (if my memory's correct).
Agree on the first two but would add the Liverpool v AC Milan Champions league final comeback.

Aug 5, 2015
I had a flat mate who was a Chelsea supporter. So as we were both fresh up from the country when you could go to the Div 1 matches whenever you liked and didn’t need to take out a mortgage we went to Chelsea one week and Arsenal the next. Don’t remember too much about those days but do remember seeing Best get sent off and Charlton score in a game against Chelsea.

I was on holiday in Sorrento when Liverpool staged that incredible come back to win the European Cup. All the bars and restaurants were full of jubilant Italians in the first half and jubilant Brits in the second.

I also saw England beat France in 1969 at the old Wembley. It was on a school trip and I was a responsible sixth former!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
:thumbs:

Of the top of my head,

89 last game where Arsenal won the league
08 CL Final with the two English teams for a change
12 City v Liverpool game where they had to win and they did win

IJN":1ge8ppmz said:
Raith v Hibs (0-6 at half time) 6-6

Now that's a comeback isn't it? Makes Liverpool's look rubbish.

loyal1970":1ge8ppmz said:
yes I know we lost on penaltys I was there read what I said if beckham had not been a t..t and stayed on the pitch that night we would have hammered the Argies and that's the game I am talking about.

Well Simeone was a Tw@T as well why do you forget that? What he did was just as petulant as Beckham.

Mar 14, 2009
For me the one FA CUP game that stands out is 1987. Coventry 3 - Tottenham 2. A beautiful game with great goals and drama. And a proper upset.

Then there is the European cup game of Liverpool against AC Milan. I cant recall such a better comeback in a cup final. Liverpool were fortunate but to battle back like they did when all was lost was pretty amazing.

The best game I've seen live not involving Argyle was an Maine Rd, 1990. Mate was a City fan. United had a decent team, as did City. If I remember I think United came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 each.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Bognor Regis 0 Carshalton Athletic 6

Followed the Robins around the South East (when not watching Argyle of course) while I lived in London.

Two diehard Carshalton fans in front of me had 5-0 @ 50-1 & watched in horror as Jimmy Bolton rounded the keeper in injury time for number 6. I thought they were going to kill him.....& Bognor served home made shepherd's pie.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 I was in the Kop end, f.....g unreal that was! Fowler, Ginola, Ferdinand, Asprilla, Collymore closing in!!!!
Celtic 2 Barcelona 1 Best Atmosphere I've ever experienced, saw Messi score, Also saw him sky one over the bar, Jock behind me said 'see you Messi....you're shyite'
Struggling for the third one, possibly Liverpool 3 Everton 2, Fowler doing his snorting coke thingy....that was a good game

Feb 2, 2007
Oxford 3 QPR 0- 1986 Milk Cup Final, fantastic performance from underdogs with Trevor Hebberd and John Aldridge at his very best.
Man Utd 2 QPR 1 can’t remember year but Cantona was at his very best, awe inspiring.
Liverpool 3 Newcastle 0 around 1984, Beardo playing for Newcastle was wonderful but Liverpool were an absolute machine and destroyed them. Kop was incredible and the travel experience in the taxi to and from the game lives with me now as funny and frightening in equal measures.