Best 3 games not involving Argyle. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best 3 games not involving Argyle.

Tom Cobbley

Jam First
Aug 7, 2011
Oldham
Keepitgreen":2z6hkin0 said:
Liverpool coming from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan on penalties in a game named as the Miracle of Istanbul.

Wales 1 v England 0 at Wrexham 1984. The last time Wales beat England.

Some time in the 60s Caernarfon Town played Man City in a friendly. As a young lad I was in awe of the superstars.

But how many of the Caenarfon players can you still name. :funny:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Haven't done many...

1) Monaco 1-0 Nice, Ligue 1, 2014 - completely made by Dimitar Berbatov scoring an insane lob (YouTube it).

2) Truro City 3-1 AFC Totton, FA Vase Final, 2007 - not a bad day out.

3) England 2-1 Slovenia, International Friendly, 2009 - by far the loudest cheer was not the goals, but when Beckham was subbed on in the second half.

Undoubtedly bottom of my list is when I watched Sparta Prague 1-0 Mlada Boleslav in 2012, which was one of the worst games of football I've watched in my life. Aside from the goal, absolutely nothing happened.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Blackpool V Cardiff in the championship play off final at Wembley was a cracker, ended 3 2 to Blackpool, was unfortunately in the Cardiff end but still a great game and atmosphere.

Fulham V Man United in 06, seeing Ronaldo score one of his best ever goals to win it for United in stoppage time was pretty special.

Went to Malaga V Real Madrid when I was very little, I genuinely don't remember the score, but I remember the occasion.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Bayern Munich v Man United at the Nou Camp in 1999
Real Madrid v AC Milan at Bernabeu . Madrid had Butragueno, Sanchez, Camacho, Chendo, Michel, Gordillo ....Milan had Gullit and van Basten
Athletic v Spurs in a pre season friendly when Gazza was playing one of his first games for Spurs. In his pomp and free to play as he wanted in a no pressure game.
Also must mention Torquay v Man Utd in pre season friendly in 1971 Bobby Charlton and George Best gracing Plainmoor

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Bayern Munich v Man United at the Nou Camp in 1999
Real Madrid v AC Milan at Bernabeu . Madrid had Butragueno, Sanchez, Camacho, Chendo, Michel, Gordillo ....Milan had Gullit and van Basten
Atletico de Madrid v Spurs in a pre season friendly at the Vicente Calderon when Gazza was playing one of his first games for Spurs. In his pomp and free to play as he wanted in a no pressure game.
Also must mention Torquay v Man Utd in pre season friendly in 1971 Bobby Charlton and George Best gracing Plainmoor

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Dunfermline v Apoel Nicosia. 10-1

Raith v Hibs (0-6 at half time) 6-6

Accrington Stanley v Gateshead 5-4

Aug 10, 2006
1. England v Argentina world cup 1998 saint-etienne stood behind the goal and witnessed a wonder goal from Michael owen made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and if it wasn't for that plonker beckham we would have stuffed the Argies that night.

2.Munich 2001 England 5 Germany 1 incredible night.

3.conference north final 2015 Guiseley beat Chorley 3-2 after being 2 down the ground at Chorley and the atmosphere reminded me of a game from the 70s.

C

Cult Of Personality

loyal1970":2vd9zgjg said:
1. England v Argentina world cup 1998 saint-etienne stood behind the goal and witnessed a wonder goal from Michael owen made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and if it wasn't for that plonker beckham we would have stuffed the Argies that night.

3.conference north final 2015 Guiseley beat Chorley 3-2 after being 2 down the ground at Chorley and the atmosphere reminded me of a game from the 70s.

We lost on penaltys. Beckham made a mistake but 4 years later made up for it in his game against Greece where he dragged England to the world cup

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Man United 1 - 2 Norwich. Went with my dad. Crying with laughter inside as Cameron Jerome made it 0-2, with a lot of very angry United fans around me wanting LVG out.

Other games I've been to as a neutral include Bristol Rovers vs Oxford, Fulham vs Wolves and Cardiff vs Wigan. None of them were great games though. Also been to a lot of Wales international games (KIG dragged me along), and seeing Wales vs England was a highlight.

Aug 10, 2006
Cult Of Personality":wfwe2pjk said:
loyal1970":wfwe2pjk said:

We lost on penaltys. Beckham made a mistake but 4 years later made up for it in his game against Greece where he dragged England to the world cup
yes I know we lost on penaltys I was there read what I said if beckham had not been a t..t and stayed on the pitch that night we would have hammered the Argies and that's the game I am talking about.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Dundee 1 Celtic 0 1989 - Dundee were outplayed for large parts of the game but got a breakaway goal, with a move started by Billy Rafferty’s brother, Stuart.
Bolton 4 Torquay 1 1989 (Wembley) - Quite a few Argyle fans were there supporting Torquay, who went 1-0 up but after that it was one way traffic and Bolton romped home.
Spurs 2 Southampton 0 1991 - Southampton had future Pilgrim Russell Osman on the bench and their starting XI included Shearer and Le Tissier, among others. Ultimately, Spurs were a class above and could have won by a lot more. Gary Lineker scored both goals.

Sep 6, 2006
loyal1970":2mpx00fw said:
Cult Of Personality":2mpx00fw said:
loyal1970":2mpx00fw said:

yes I know we lost on penaltys I was there read what I said if beckham had not been a t..t and stayed on the pitch that night we would have hammered the Argies and that's the game I am talking about.

1. Was a ridiculous decision to send him off.
2. Very naive to think we were so much better that we would have 'hammered" them. Which planet are you on?

Aug 4, 2011
1) Derby 4 v Wimbledon 1 - 29th October 1988, Dean Saunders Hat Trick on debut
2) Southampton 2 v Tottenham 3 - 17 Aug 1991, Lineker and Shearer both on the pitch and the scoresheet
3) Milan 4 v Udinese 1 - 18th May 2008, Cafu wonder goal as AC came from 1-0 down at half time. Sadly for them Inter won the league that day. San Siro an awesome stadium