Best 3 games not involving Argyle. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best 3 games not involving Argyle.

Apr 15, 2016
Man Utd 3-0 Barcelona, Cup-Winner's Cup quarter final I think; 2-0 to Barcelona in the first leg, Bryan Robson inspirational

Man City 0-1 Luton Town, David Pleat was, er, memorable

Slovan Liberec 1-1 Udinese, Europa League qualifier, was enough for Liberec to get through, great atmosphere, great game, true giant-killing and Cz beer 70p a pint

Melbourne Mark

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
German second div game in Hamburg, where Finnish legend Ari Hjelm scored for St Pauli. Steins of Pilsner don't help the recall...

Saw Tony Cascarino net a hat-trick for OM in Ligue 2 at the Velodrome, with 3 headers. Stood in the front row of the Ultras. Best atmosphere I've ever encountered.

Melbourne Victory 6 - Adelaide Utd 0 - A League Grand Final 2007. Adelaide had a player sent off after 35 minutes, but Victory were already 2-0 down. Archie Thompson scored 5 in the game in front of 55,000. It was a really hot day (34 degrees) until just before kick off when a cool change came through. Then Archie fired up.

Melbourne Mark

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Balham_Green":1knk5se8 said:
1. Was a ridiculous decision to send him off.
2. Very naive to think we were so much better that we would have 'hammered" them. Which planet are you on?

Ridiculous is a bit strong....was a petulant kick out while Becks was on the ground. Simeone went down as if shot by a sniper in the stands. In that situation, the card could have been either colour.

Since 1990, that was the best team we've had at a world cup.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
North Shields 6-5 Jarrow Roofing (Northern League Division One) - Roofing led 2-5 with 20 minutes to play, Shields equalised in the 90th minute and won it with a winger smashing a volley from the edge of the box in to the bottom corner to complete his hattrick.

Newcastle United 4-3 Norwich City (Championship) - Norwich went 1-3 up in the 69th minute. Quite a few Newcastle fans walked out, Newcastle pulled a goal back moments later and then equalised in the 90+5th minute and won the game in the 90+6th minute.

Sunderland U23's 0-5 Porto B (Premier League International Cup) - Last seasons final, massive crowd of 18k at the Stadium of Light for an U23 game, many turned up expecting a tight, tense affair. Porto's side was packed full of quality and are by far the best players I've ever seen at youth football. The side that turned up were incredible and would probably have done a good job at the top end of the Championship that season. The mismatch was almost unbelievable especially when considering how good Sunderland's academy were.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
IJN":2fdpcvar said:
Dunfermline v Apoel Nicosia. 10-1

Raith v Hibs (0-6 at half time) 6-6

Accrington Stanley v Gateshead 5-4

What year was the Raith Rovers game mate ?, will see if my bestie went to it because he has been a season ticket holder at Starks Park for years

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Cult Of Personality":22iwj661 said:
1996 England 4 Netherlands 1 . 8 years old and it was the most magical night of football i have ever seen . Football was truly coming home that night. Felt like you was walking on air when you left Wembley

...this game was incredible to be at โ€“ย the atmosphere was something else.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Argyle-sy":3rkwhn69 said:
IJN":3rkwhn69 said:

What year was the Raith Rovers game mate ?, will see if my bestie went to it because he has been a season ticket holder at Starks Park for years

It would have been 67/68 I think Si. It may have been a reserve game as I used to do them all in those days. Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Raith and Dunfermline. :greensmile: It's the strongest wind I've ever been in at a football game. You had to turn sideways to breath. Three of the goals came from goalies kicking out and it coming back into the box.

Northern Green":3bh7uk6c said:
Man Utd 3-0 Barcelona, Cup-Winner's Cup quarter final I think; 2-0 to Barcelona in the first leg, Bryan Robson inspirational

Man City 0-1 Luton Town, David Pleat was, er, memorable

Slovan Liberec 1-1 Udinese, Europa League qualifier, was enough for Liberec to get through, great atmosphere, great game, true giant-killing and Cz beer 70p a pint

My youngest son made the ultimate sacrifice, in my view, for the MU-Barcelona game, which must surely rank in the top 5 all time games. He had a ticket for the game and plane booked, from Stockholm, when the girl of his dreams produced tickets for a night berth on a train leaving for Rome, where she suggested they spend the week-end. What would you have done? He chose the girl.

Jul 14, 2008
MarkinMelbourne":23w9dwxd said:
Balham_Green":23w9dwxd said:
2. Very naive to think we were so much better that we would have 'hammered" them. Which planet are you on?

Ridiculous is a bit strong....was a petulant kick out while Becks was on the ground. Simeone went down as if shot by a sniper in the stands. In that situation, the card could have been either colour.

Perhaps the best performing team but the 2006 team was the best we have had on paper for decades. You could argue that we had 8 world class players starting the quarter final v Portugal (Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, terry, Neville, lampard, Beckham, gerrard and Rooney). Such a shame they underperformed so badly

Sep 6, 2006
MarkinMelbourne":ojafo0w9 said:
Balham_Green":ojafo0w9 said:

It WAS ridiculous because Simeone wasn't injured in the slightest. BecKhan was on the floor and so just flung his foot out with no weight behind it.

Sep 6, 2006
Herts_Green":g60tfc6v said:
MarkinMelbourne":g60tfc6v said:
Balham_Green":g60tfc6v said:

Perhaps the best performing team but the 2006 team was the best we have had on paper for decades. You could argue that we had 8 world class players starting the quarter final v Portugal (Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, terry, Neville, lampard, Beckham, gerrard and Rooney). Such a shame they underperformed so badly

Pushing it a bit to say they were all world class. But now we have none. Well done Premiership.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
No dates because it was the 70s and my lifestyle was a little different then to what it is now :oops: but:

Brentford 6 York 4 at Griffin Park. Used to do random matches with my brother when we both lived there.

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 3. I worked for LT and had free travel. Used to watch the Arsenal Champion Team a lot but took in random games too. Just potd for Div 1 then!

Leyton Orient 0 Villa 1 (??) Can't remember well but last league game, Orient in the top division if they won. They lost but I don't remember much tbh. Bought a ticket off a tout! :oops: :shock: What was I thinking?!? :think:

Wonder what ever happened to Orient?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
IJN":3dxcnr1t said:
Argyle-sy":3dxcnr1t said:
IJN":3dxcnr1t said:

It would have been 67/68 I think Si. It may have been a reserve game as I used to do them all in those days. Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Raith and Dunfermline. :greensmile: It's the strongest wind I've ever been in at a football game. You had to turn sideways to breath. Three of the goals came from goalies kicking out and it coming back into the box.

Oh crikey he was only born in 70 so he wouldn't have been there, and like me his mum and me both can't stand Raith Rovers so there is no way on earth she would have been there lol. It's ironic, I lived literally a stones throw from Starks Park but never went there once, but I went to see Cowden at Central Park a few times. My sis and her family support East Fife so been giving them stick because Rovers beat them in all 4 games this season, even though I am not a massive fun of Rovers I found it amusing winding them up about being so rubbish lol.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
loyal1970":10tcbssz said:
Cult Of Personality":10tcbssz said:
loyal1970":10tcbssz said:
1. England v Argentina world cup 1998 saint-etienne stood behind the goal and witnessed a wonder goal from Michael owen made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and if it wasn't for that plonker beckham we would have stuffed the Argies that night.

2.Munich 2001 England 5 Germany 1 incredible night.

3.conference north final 2015 Guiseley beat Chorley 3-2 after being 2 down the ground at Chorley and the atmosphere reminded me of a game from the 70s.

We lost on penaltys. Beckham made a mistake but 4 years later made up for it in his game against Greece where he dragged England to the world cup
yes I know we lost on penaltys I was there read what I said if beckham had not been a t..t and stayed on the pitch that night we would have hammered the Argies and that's the game I am talking about.
The battling display by the ten men was tremendous. Beckham turned himself around admirably in latter times, though the less said about his life outside football the better.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
At least hammered is a comprehensible term, unplayable i.e. should score 20+ goals in each game because no one can stop you, is less so.

Beckham never would have been so petulant for a manager he could realistically have respected, so the 98 oneโ€™s partly on Hodd imho.

Canโ€™t see any future for international football. Clubs ultimately make multimillionaires, country FAs no longer do. The World Cup will end up like Pro Bowl I suspect.