Backroom staff? | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Backroom staff?

Jan 17, 2005
Surrey
My apologies if I missed it, what was it. Did they say Who this mysterious man on match day moments.
At the press conference yesterday Chris Errington asked if the club was closer to appointing anyone to join the management team. The gist of the response was not yet but we’re looking, no rush until we find the right person/people. Nobody specifically asked who the bloke on matchday moments is.

Reactions: Cdp

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
At the press conference yesterday Chris Errington asked if the club was closer to appointing anyone to join the management team. The gist of the response was not yet but we’re looking, no rush until we find the right person/people. Nobody specifically asked who the bloke on matchday moments is.
Thanks

Reactions: Mitch
Dec 16, 2004
This post is an example of why the reaction to Tuesday is different Bristol City. No matter what the bloke says there will be people jumping on his words. The ‘fitness coach’ would not have been able to make players recover quicker between games and even if he could do you think Argyle have completely stopped doing everything they’ve been doing for the last 2 years??

This, I'm afraid, is incorrect.

The job of a fitness/strength and conditioning/performance coach very much includes tailored recovery for each player. Also identifying which players may need to be rested as they are running low. I know this as a very good friend of mine does this job at the highest level of international sport ( not football) and when we meet up he shares his experiences with me regarding recovery and preparation routines for individual competitors. Elliot Turner gave a very good presentation of this a while back. I would postulate that Tuesday's line up may have been different or certain players may have had different recovery routines had we had not an intern but a recognized professional strength/conditioning coach on board.

Read Dave Brailsford or Clive Woodward on how small marginal gains can make a massive difference to results and overall performance. We cannot afford (and SH would not want us) to not be as professional as we can be in all areas. Argyle are competing in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe. I wonder how many teams at our level are operating with an intern as their main performance coach ( with absolutely all respect to him).

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
You think that we have dropped all the technology that tracks these things and ignore it? Do you think Elliott Turner took it with him? 😂
He would have just couldn't fit it in the chopper allegedly.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
This, I'm afraid, is incorrect.

The job of a fitness/strength and conditioning/performance coach very much includes tailored recovery for each player. Also identifying which players may need to be rested as they are running low. I know this as a very good friend of mine does this job at the highest level of international sport ( not football) and when we meet up he shares his experiences with me regarding recovery and preparation routines for individual competitors. Elliot Turner gave a very good presentation of this a while back. I would postulate that Tuesday's line up may have been different or certain players may have had different recovery routines had we had not an intern but a recognized professional strength/conditioning coach on board.

Read Dave Brailsford or Clive Woodward on how small marginal gains can make a massive difference to results and overall performance. We cannot afford (and SH would not want us) to not be as professional as we can be in all areas. Argyle are competing in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe. I wonder how many teams at our level are operating with an intern as their main performance coach ( with absolutely all respect to him).
So you say I’m incorrect and then tell me everything that Elliott Turner would have done in a way that you think Argyle just decided to stop doing everything they did when ET was here the minute he left?

They would have done exactly the same recovery plans whether he was here or not. Just like we did when he had that cold that kept him off whilst on his way to Stoke.

Simon Hallett, Neil Dewsnip and Ian Foster wouldn’t just stop what we were doing because turner left. They’ve said that individuals are not the be all and end all over and over.

Sep 7, 2006
London
How do we know it's an intern?

From the Hallett podcast pt 2 I got the impression the club have recruited and structured in a way where there's someone ready-ish to step up and cover the main role in the case of sudden exits. "Resiliance" as he kept saying.

That said, don't think he specifically said that had happened for recent Fitness Coach role.

What's the source that says it's an intern?

Dec 16, 2004
So you say I’m incorrect and then tell me everything that Elliott Turner would have done in a way that you think Argyle just decided to stop doing everything they did when ET was here the minute he left?

They would have done exactly the same recovery plans whether he was here or not. Just like we did when he had that cold that kept him off whilst on his way to Stoke.

Simon Hallett, Neil Dewsnip and Ian Foster wouldn’t just stop what we were doing because turner left. They’ve said that individuals are not the be all and end all over and over.

You just don't get it do you?

We have performance gathering data systems ( GPS, ECGs, HRMs, training assessment exercises etc). These all provide the data. That is then interpreted by an "expert" ( eg Elliot). That's why clubs don't just have data but the best "expert" they can get to interpret that data and act and advise on it. Data by itself has very little value until it is interpreted and acted upon.

Weather data needs a meteorologist to turn it into a forecast. It's the same with athletic performance.

It's why Man City probably have a small team of performance and conditioning coaches, why Leeds probably have 2 or 3 at the moment we have an intern and you don't think it matters.

Weird.

Reactions: Fergy and LSM
Dec 16, 2004
How do we know it's an intern?

From the Hallett podcast pt 2 I got the impression the club have recruited and structured in a way where there's someone ready-ish to step up and cover the main role in the case of sudden exits. "Resiliance" as he kept saying.

That said, don't think he specifically said that had happened for recent Fitness Coach role.

What's the source that says it's an intern?

Because it is an intern!! He was Elliott's intern. We haven't replaced Elliot.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
You just don't get it do you?

We have performance gathering data systems ( GPS, ECGs, HRMs, training assessment exercises etc). These all provide the data. That is then interpreted by an "expert" ( eg Elliot). That's why clubs don't just have data but the best "expert" they can get to interpret that data and act and advise on it. Data by itself has very little value until it is interpreted and acted upon.

Weather data needs a meteorologist to turn it into a forecast. It's the same with athletic performance.

It's why Man City probably have a small team of performance and conditioning coaches, why Leeds probably have 2 or 3 at the moment we have an intern and you don't think it matters.

Weird.
It is weird that you think that one coach leaving and the rest are still there has such a big impact. It wasn’t all about one man, there is a team of people analysing the data, but if it suits your agenda that’s fine.

How hard is it to analyse the data on how far someone is running during a game to how far they normally run and what their energy levels are? Having spoken with Elliott several times he is no rocket scientist I can tell you.

Dec 16, 2004
It is weird that you think that one coach leaving and the rest are still there has such a big impact. It wasn’t all about one man, there is a team of people analysing the data, but if it suits your agenda that’s fine.

How hard is it to analyse the data on how far someone is running during a game to how far they normally run and what their energy levels are? Having spoken with Elliott several times he is no rocket scientist I can tell you.

Like I said you just don't get it so I'll leave it there.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I don't have a "source". It's no secret. The guy is an intern. If you like my "source" is common knowledge.
Sorry for asking another question as I don’t quite get it. Are you saying the guy who makes all of the decisions on player fitness levels all by himself is a non paid or lowly paid work experience guy?