Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1 | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1

Apr 1, 2009
Totally agree. (y)

We are spending on infrastructure to be able to generate more revenue - which in turn will be spent on the players budget. This is a long term strategic approach that I fully endorse if we are to be able to compete longer term with bigger more financially strong clubs.
Some of these infrastructure projects directly generate more revenue (I'd prefer the word profit) like the original Grandstand refurb. Some increase the "customer experience" which leads to larger attendances (more revenue), for example the Big Screen, upgraded catering etc.

However, a project like the new training facility, whilst hopefully increasing the lure of Argyle to prospective signings and improving the ability of all our players, isn't likely to be a significant direct generator of revenue/profit, particularly as there are likely to be increased costs in running it. So infrastructure improvement does not all necessarily directly relate to increased spending power. There is a huge spending gap currently between ourselves and the biggest spenders even in our league. Is it realistic to expect the infrastructure improvements currently planned to significantly close these gaps, and also close on the spending power of clubs in the league above?

Jul 12, 2016
Some of these infrastructure projects directly generate more revenue (I'd prefer the word profit) like the original Grandstand refurb. Some increase the "customer experience" which leads to larger attendances (more revenue), for example the Big Screen, upgraded catering etc.

However, a project like the new training facility, whilst hopefully increasing the lure of Argyle to prospective signings and improving the ability of all our players, isn't likely to be a significant direct generator of revenue/profit, particularly as there are likely to be increased costs in running it. So infrastructure improvement does not all necessarily directly relate to increased spending power. There is a huge spending gap currently between ourselves and the biggest spenders even in our league. Is it realistic to expect the infrastructure improvements currently planned to significantly close these gaps, and also close on the spending power of clubs in the league above?
No is the short answer. I am not against improving the infrastructure when the time is right but IMHO the team is still in need of strengthening and should be more of a priority. I am not suggesting we spend a huge amount but how are we meant to get to the Championship relying on injury prone players, free transfers and loanees?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
No is the short answer. I am not against improving the infrastructure when the time is right but IMHO the team is still in need of strengthening and should be more of a priority. I am not suggesting we spend a huge amount but how are we meant to get to the Championship relying on injury prone players, free transfers and loanees?
I think it’s the egg and chicken scenario.

The club are trying to put the foundations in place to be able to stay in the championship should be get there WHILST still trying to be competitive in the league.

I get this approach. Doing one at 80% and the other 20% either way will only be successful with through a gamble. At least this 60/40 approach gives us a good level both ends and is pretty safeguarded

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Have a look at how many players are out of contract in the summer.

By that time the new investors have been in and around the club for a year. How do we know that’s as well as infrastructure investment these people won’t invest significantly on the team?

There is too many questions we don’t know the answer for. But l’m excited about the future.

Jul 12, 2016
Have a look at how many players are out of contract in the summer.

By that time the new investors have been in and around the club for a year. How do we know that’s as well as infrastructure investment these people won’t invest significantly on the team?

There is too many questions we don’t know the answer for. But l’m excited about the future.
They are presumably hoping for a return on their infrastructure investment. Investment in players is somewhat different.

Jul 11, 2022
feels like after we got burnt with cooper, hallett doesn't want to spend a fee on players, only loans and freebes

like the dark days of brents bargain basement dives

Remember simon church etc

Sep 18, 2010
I have no idea what our friends up the road have in the way of facilities but I assume their infrastructure in general is inferior to ours. Early days but having got promoted they seem to know where the net is. Tin hat on but relative to their size they are doing better than us.
Their infrastructure and training facilities are better than ours.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Oct 15, 2017
Well we are currently on course for 69 points in League 1 after 2 matches played. Hardly a shambles having played 2 league matches and 1 cup match against a a championship/L1 yo yo team (none of which will be in a relegation battle imo).

9000 fans bought season tickets in the hope of at least reaching the playoffs so 69 points will hardly be
enough for that, so a lot of people would feel that's not what they were hoping for which might affect next season's sales, I would hope we could achieve at least 75 with 44 games still to play.

Reactions: Angry
Jul 11, 2022
9000 fans bought season tickets in the hope of at least reaching the playoffs so 69 points will hardly be
enough for that, so a lot of people would feel that's not what they were hoping for which might affect next season's sales, I would hope we could achieve at least 75 with 44 games still to play.
9000 fans bought tickets after being promised a bigger transfer budget and its been blobbed on loans and freebees so far.

if there's no progress on the pitch they will lose interested its ok we will have best facilities in national league

Reactions: oldage
Aug 5, 2005
9000 fans bought tickets after being promised a bigger transfer budget and its been blobbed on loans and freebees so far.

if there's no progress on the pitch they will lose interested its ok we will have best facilities in national league
I don't understand this. You're saying that the only reason people bought season tickets was the transfer budget?

Also what's the National league got do do with anything?

Jul 11, 2022
I don't understand this. You're saying that the only reason people bought season tickets was the transfer budget?

Also what's the National league got do do with anything?
If we don't progress we will continue to go backwards, sliding towards the national league if years of this continues.
our small squad Is already harming us.

9000 bought tickets at an inflated price on the promise of a bigger budget.

Not got much for it a tv and shiny seats.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003

That’s not true though is it?

Simon Hallett was clear on this before the Barnsley game. We’ve gone from 4500 season ticket holders 3 years ago when we were in league 1 to 9000 now without progress on the pitch, we’re exactly where we were with twice the amount of ST holders. Why’s that do you think?

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
If we don't progress we will continue to go backwards, sliding towards the national league if years of this continues.
our small squad Is already harming us.

9000 bought tickets at an inflated price on the promise of a bigger budget.

Not got much for it a tv and shiny seats.

Daz is right. Nobody was promised anything.

In fact you have been told we need to over achieve in order to get near a position in the league of last season.

If other fans think though like you do then unfortunately the club won’t be able to sustain the support levels.

If people of Plymouth want a successful football club then they need to get behind it instead of thinking the club owes them something. Especially something they never promised.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
It is always interesting reading other people's comments on how they would spend somebody else's money

Jealousy over the so called big hitters in this leagues who seem to have it all & an endless source of magic money trees- i could not give a rats b*******d about these clubs

My club, our club has come a very long way since our extremely darkest hour & now we are in exciting times with the recent investment & the plans that have recently been announced

Our custodian & his trusted team have been very transparent with us fans regarding how they will be progressing the club in years to come

Signing the best of the best does not guarantee success & how other clubs Top Brass wish to run their respective club is their business

Keiran McGuire "The Price of Football" podcast mentions our custodian on a regular basis & thinks extremely highly of him compared to Chairmen of other football clubs who business dealings leave a lot to be desired - so SH must be doing something right

We are making progress year on year & i am extremely proud of my hometown club - once a green , always a green

Some people want instant success & throwing a shed load of money at it will achieve it within 46 games - we are not run that way & SH & his team are slowly putting all the building blocks in place so that when he decides to sell- there will be a sustainable football club that will still be around & flourishing long after i leave this earth (y)💚

Reactions: JannerinCardiff