Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1 | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Jephcott has been mucked about a bit, firstly by Lowe and now Schumacher.
At the start of last season he came deep off Hardie to link up play and now this season he's been asked to play as an attacking midfielder as a number 10.

Both of those scenarios is not his game. When he came back from Truro and the following season he was a goal poacher with his best work around the penalty spot and being in the right place at the right time, similar to Sir Thomas of Tynan.

Both Lowe and Schumacher wanted Jephcott involved more in the general play but his career is suffering because of it.
It's now 2 goals from his last 17 appearances.

Totally agree. Play Jephcott up front in a 2 with Hardie and they will both score goals.

Playing Jephers as a 10 or wide just isn’t his game so why try and play him there.

Play players to their strengths and correct position with the right players and it will bring postive results.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Poor performance.

Rubbish first half. Passes went astray all over the pitch. The only two players I felt came out of that half with any real praise were Lonwijk and Butcher. Whittaker had moments but no end product.

Second half was a bit better, which coincided with the likes of Azaz, Randell and Gillesphey coming on. There were still sloppy passes, one that sticks in the memory is Mayor almost giving a goal away passing it across his own box towards the end.

So many shots on goal yet they all flew over the bar. I’m not sure why we are so insistent on working it out well to the wing backs, only to cross it in to 3 forward all 6ft or under! Ennis was hopeless and never looked like getting on the end of anything.

A frustrating evening and hopefully a much better performance on Saturday.
I know this is a forum for opinion BUT praise for Butcher 🤷‍♂️ IMHO and that of those sat around me was that his performance was woeful. Not at all surprised he was taken off at half time and not one vote so far for MOTM. The jury is out for me at the moment.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Just watched highlights and from seeing this and previous games it seems that there is still a lot of early season rustiness in the players. At Fleetwood there were missed tackles for the goals, last night Ennis lost the ball and tracking back was slow and there was an easy 3 on 2. This is not just an Argyle thing, most teams take a few games to get up to speed, a lot of the Prem league players made mistakes at the weekend too.

The one positive is that the players got more game time in their legs. Hoping for much more intensity and fewer mistakes on Saturday.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Knowing Argyle they will probably win on Saturday.I do feel somewhat sorry for Jephcott as he is a goal poacher but needs to play as a 2 up front and yes if Hardie gets injured then we have serious goalscoring issues this season

Jul 12, 2016
Well if you haven’t got the money to find consistent goal scorers at this level

Id love for a 1.4 million forward to be sitting on our bench tonight.

Haven’t wrote the team off. Just being realistic what we are facing.
Can find money for training facilities though. Although I can see the long term benefit it seems the first team is suffering because money is being spent elsewhere.

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Can't see that the money would have been invested just to spend on players though. They are trying to build a club n not just a team

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Given that Peterborough have a 6ft 9imch keeper would it not make more sense if we hit shots low into the corners ???
That was my thinking too. It's as if faced with a very tall keeper, they think they have to try and hit the top corners, when like you say, they should be hitting low.

Jul 12, 2016
Can't see that the money would have been invested just to spend on players though. They are trying to build a club n not just a team
A fine balancing act but there is little point having the infrastructure when the first team is built on scraps. Very early days but what would be the point of having the best club in the second division. Like owning a Rolls Royce when you can’t afford the petrol.

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
You can see the logic though. Our strikers have a decent return last season, but we got little from midfield - which we've tried to strengthen. I see your point of view, but we don't have enough money for an arms war anyhow. We live within our means and outside investment goes to infrastructure, that will be the model for the foreseeable

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Just say we spent the recent investment on a creme de la creme striker whose CV was glowing

He rocks up at the Theatre of Greens & for whatever reason fails to live up to expectation & deliver the goods that we have paid so much money for- would we not say what a waste of money

It is a fine balancing act - but we are run the way we are & we will never pay over the odds for any player

May 16, 2016
Can find money for training facilities though. Although I can see the long term benefit it seems the first team is suffering because money is being spent elsewhere.
Your £2M striker would only be here for a year. Your £2M bricks and mortar addition to the training facilities will be here for ever.

Reactions: GreenThing
Aug 13, 2009
I felt Whittaker had plenty of pace but lacked finesse running into blind alleys.
Didn't notice Butcher at all and Azaz added a bit of energy to proceedings.
Lonwijk looked like a very classy, footballing centre-back which is not a label you can pin on our current centre-backs.
Randell played well for the time he was on, looking for the forward pass.