Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1 | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
The wage cap was binned I believe, though there is a cap on operating losses much as in the prem (though smaller figures allowed)

Jul 12, 2016
Just say we spent the recent investment on a creme de la creme striker whose CV was glowing

He rocks up at the Theatre of Greens & for whatever reason fails to live up to expectation & deliver the goods that we have paid so much money for- would we not say what a waste of money

It is a fine balancing act - but we are run the way we are & we will never pay over the odds for any player
By the same token you invest in the infrastructure and the team get relegated. Could we not invest in both?

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Well, no we can't - or we would. If we did we'd definitely run at a loss, or cut into funds intended for infrastructure or contingency, which is not the club's philosophy. We are left where any such spend would not really guarantee better than what we have. What would we need to spend to have confidence that what we bought would get a better return than Hardie last season?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Given that Peterborough have a 6ft 9imch keeper would it not make more sense if we hit shots low into the corners ???

I said this all game. He's the tallest keeper we'll come up against this season, taller keepers typically struggle more with low hard efforts, so why we were constantly going for the top corners is a bit baffling.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
May 8, 2011
Can find money for training facilities though. Although I can see the long term benefit it seems the first team is suffering because money is being spent elsewhere.
We can still sign at least 3 more outfield players over 21 to keep within the squad rule size regulations.
Strength in depth is the advantage the top teams will have over us.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I said this all game. He's the tallest keeper we'll come up against this season, taller keepers typically struggle more with low hard efforts, so why we were constantly going for the top corners is a bit baffling.
Jack of all trades - master of none.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
By the same token you invest in the infrastructure and the team get relegated. Could we not invest in both?
Well we have upped the wage budget by 20% this season. Surely that is investing in both? Looking mid to longer term I would think once the infrastructure is in place there will be even more for the playing budget.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
20% is a good increase but what does it mean? Are we paying a large percentage of the wages of the four loan players or have the two permanent signings (one from Accrington) received big wage offers?
Or does it mean existing players will receive new contracts as the season progresses or is it being saved for the January window?

Probably all of the above.

Jul 12, 2016
I have no idea what our friends up the road have in the way of facilities but I assume their infrastructure in general is inferior to ours. Early days but having got promoted they seem to know where the net is. Tin hat on but relative to their size they are doing better than us.

Reactions: NLG

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Can find money for training facilities though. Although I can see the long term benefit it seems the first team is suffering because money is being spent elsewhere.

That’s crazy. They are spending what they can afford.

The extra money is investment in order to increase turnover to then spend on the team.

If we did what your suggesting we could end up no better and wasted a lot of money. This way we are building infrastructure to make our team better.

You going to have to be patient.

Reactions: greenpig27

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
That’s crazy. They are spending what they can afford.

The extra money is investment in order to increase turnover to then spend on the team.

If we did what your suggesting we could end up no better and wasted a lot of money. This way we are building infrastructure to make our team better.

You going to have to be patient.

Totally agree. (y)

We are spending on infrastructure to be able to generate more revenue - which in turn will be spent on the players budget. This is a long term strategic approach that I fully endorse if we are to be able to compete longer term with bigger more financially strong clubs.

Reactions: GreenThing
Sep 12, 2015
Totally agree. (y)

We are spending on infrastructure to be able to generate more revenue - which in turn will be spent on the players budget. This is a long term strategic approach that I fully endorse if we are to be able to compete longer term with bigger more financially strong clubs.
And in the meantime whilst we are all waiting for the long term .which way will we go . ?

Reactions: oldage

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
And in the meantime whilst we are all waiting for the long term .which way will we go . ?

Well we are currently on course for 69 points in League 1 after 2 matches played. Hardly a shambles having played 2 league matches and 1 cup match against a a championship/L1 yo yo team (none of which will be in a relegation battle imo).