Argyle v Callington or watch England on the box? (Postponed) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Callington or watch England on the box? (Postponed)

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":2h1ybvpq said:
Keepitgreen":2h1ybvpq said:
pilgrimB173":2h1ybvpq said:
Aren't the players at the shop on Thursday evening to meet the fans?
Yes, 6.30pm until 8.00pm.

Aren't they also due at Penlee Park, Penzance for a friendly. This will be my nearest friendly game. I hope DA will not be sending a Youth XI. i was hoping to get a playing glimpse of the new signings.

According to the friendly fixture schedule that Argyle sent me the Penzance game is for the U18 squad.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
HC Green":2ulrbd3u said:
Quintrell_Green":2ulrbd3u said:
Keepitgreen":2ulrbd3u said:
pilgrimB173":2ulrbd3u said:

Aren't they also due at Penlee Park, Penzance for a friendly. This will be my nearest friendly game. I hope DA will not be sending a Youth XI. i was hoping to get a playing glimpse of the new signings.

According to the friendly fixture schedule that Argyle sent me the Penzance game is for the U18 squad.

Noted with thanks. That has saved me a 72 mile drive on the evening. It is just as well that Cardiff City are pitching up in the county for friendlies at Liskeard and Bodmin, I do believe.

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":26fxh2i3 said:
HC Green":26fxh2i3 said:
Quintrell_Green":26fxh2i3 said:
Keepitgreen":26fxh2i3 said:
pilgrimB173":26fxh2i3 said:

Noted with thanks. That has saved me a 72 mile drive on the evening. It is just as well that Cardiff City are pitching up in the county for friendlies at Liskeard and Bodmin, I do believe.

The game at Helston on Saturday is a first team fixture, with the squad split between that game and the one at Tavistock.

I am hoping that the Club will announce towards the end of the week who is playing where so as not to disappoint people who may want to see their favourites but go to the wrong game.

If they don’t I will try to find out using some contacts.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Sam Barker":39bqludz said:
Vast majority of people are club over country but missing history in the making? Come on.
As I said I have a meeting at 19:30 on Wednesday, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't be watching the match.

If England win I'll watch the highlights, if England lose I won't even do that. I can't take the tension of watching such matches these days. Unlike most people who miss a match I want to know the score before deciding whether to watch highlights. (Although I can't see how anyone could call them highlights if we lose - same with the baggo - they put up so-called highlights when Argyle lose FFS!)

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":3hjo3ek8 said:
Daz":3hjo3ek8 said:
I read on Twitter (so it’s 100% fact ;) ) that Callington had asked to change the time but Argyle have refused.

Sounds unlikely. Why would it bother Argyle?

Having looked again it was posted by someone playing so maybe he would know? I don’t suppose DA cares that England are playing. It’s a shame for Callington as I bet it will be result in a lot of lost revenue.

Aug 5, 2016
It's a bit unfair on both sets of players who I'm sure would want to be watching England instead of playing half of a friendly!

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Daz":2rwqflxo said:
Balham_Green":2rwqflxo said:
Daz":2rwqflxo said:
I read on Twitter (so it’s 100% fact ;) ) that Callington had asked to change the time but Argyle have refused.

Having looked again it was posted by someone playing so maybe he would know? I don’t suppose DA cares that England are playing. It’s a shame for Callington as I bet it will be result in a lot of lost revenue.

It was made clear to Callington when the game was confirmed that it wouldn’t be moved. They accepted that and took their chance and to be fair not many expected England to do as well as they have.

It’s a huge game for Callington financially and important to DA in terms of his pre season prep.

Feb 28, 2016
Bubba":3qghsyqw said:
Daz":3qghsyqw said:
Balham_Green":3qghsyqw said:
Daz":3qghsyqw said:

It was made clear to Callington when the game was confirmed that it wouldn’t be moved. They accepted that and took their chance and to be fair not many expected England to do as well as they have.

It’s a huge game for Callington financially and important to DA in terms of his pre season prep.

Common sense should prevail though, whilst it is true Adams won’t care for England, neither will many Cornish nationalists, this kick off time will really affect Callington financially, many players for both sides will be English, that don’t won’t miss this.

If it is a Scottish lead Argyle refusing, then I hope next season the local clubs stick together and “cut off their noses.” Preseason wise, we clearly need local sides more then they need us.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
MarkMatthews":6od1k3fo said:
Bubba":6od1k3fo said:
Daz":6od1k3fo said:
Balham_Green":6od1k3fo said:
Daz":6od1k3fo said:

Common sense should prevail though, whilst it is true Adams won’t care for England, neither will many Cornish nationalists, this kick off time will really affect Callington financially, many players for both sides will be English, that don’t won’t miss this.

If it is a Scottish lead Argyle refusing, then I hope next season the local clubs stick together and “cut off their noses.” Preseason wise, we clearly need local sides more then they need us.

I doubt that's the case at all - we are probably these clubs biggest pay days of the year. There will be no shortage of clubs that want to play us in Devon.

Having said that i think its crap of Argyle if they are refusing to change the time.

May 8, 2011
Daz":w3x0u3w5 said:
MarkMatthews":w3x0u3w5 said:
Bubba":w3x0u3w5 said:
Balham_Green":w3x0u3w5 said:

I doubt that's the case at all - we are probably these clubs biggest pay days of the year. There will be no shortage of clubs that want to play us in Devon.

Having said that i think its crap of Argyle if they are refusing to change the time.

It would be difficult to change the KO time as it would have to be 4:45 at the latest to finish before the England game starts. As most of the Callington players will have day jobs several probably wouldn’t be able to get off work in time.

Aug 13, 2009
England v Croatia in a World Cup Semi-Final or a meaningless, turgid friendly between Argyle and Callington.
What a choice!!
I used to go and watch pre-season friendlies but became utterly dis-illussioned at the total lack of competitiveness in these games with the atmosphere being one of bland resignation at the tepid fare on offer. I honestly believe there should just be a token charge of £1 to watch these glorified training sessions.
Anyone choosing that over their country in a World Cup Semi-final is sadly mis-guided.
But I guess there will still be your normal bobble-hat wearing, rattle shaking "fans" attending.
They will never know what they are missing.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
santos73":2rrhglob said:
England v Croatia in a World Cup Semi-Final or a meaningless, turgid friendly between Argyle and Callington.
What a choice!!
I used to go and watch pre-season friendlies but became utterly dis-illussioned at the total lack of competitiveness in these games with the atmosphere being one of bland resignation at the tepid fare on offer. I honestly believe there should just be a token charge of £1 to watch these glorified training sessions.
Anyone choosing that over their country in a World Cup Semi-final is sadly mis-guided.
But I guess there will still be your normal bobble-hat wearing, rattle shaking "fans" attending.
They will never know what they are missing.

A touch of summer humbug, I am afraid I need to say. OK, it is not a hard decision as to watch England V Croatia or Argyle at Callington Town. The clash is unfortunate but could not have been anticipated.

As to the benefit of local friendlies, I consider that at this stage of the season, they are good for Argyle in slowly getting their squad fit and used to playing DA's system. At the same time the Club is 'flying their flag' around their fan base outside of Plymouth city but amongst their hinterland support. This not only helps to engender goodwill with school kids who are tomorrow's fan season ticket holders, but also gives more mature fans like myself a chance to see newly signed players in the flesh, wearing the new kit in a live game. Nobody is suggesting that the likes of Helston, Parkway, Callington or Tavistock are at the calibre of Sunderland or Portsmouth in competitive terms and offer a nail biting game, but friendlies offer positives all round, IMHO.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Do Callington have floodlights? If so, why not play the game immediately after the England semi-final? In the height of summer floodlights may not even be needed and a 9pm/9.15pm kick-off would be cooler for the players; fans and players could even watch the England game in the club house.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
HC Green":qwnb4hmq said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":qwnb4hmq said:
"Grandad, where were you when England beat Croatia 3-2 in the World Cup semi-final?"

"Well boy, I was watching Argyle play Callington in a meaningless pre-season friendly, it was great to see the boys gently easing themselves back to fitness against vastly inferior opposition!"

No games involving Argyle are meaningless, if they were why play them?

Ironic, surely!

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
The sensible thing would be to play after the England game or postpone it. If Cally are looking for a pay day they ain't going to get one because one man his dog will be the only spectator! If Argyle refuse what's the chance of CT not raising a team?! ;)