Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up

Jul 14, 2008
a few points from me having sat through a youth meeting on last night we have been told that regardless as to what happens with the first team next year will carry on exactly the same as this year and all the funding for this is in place. the payment that so called bigger clubs will have to pay is 64 grand unless the player in question signs a contract then we can demand more of a fee for the player in question.so we still could see alot of youngsters come through to play for the club as alot of the time this is the best way for there development. our youth contrary to opinion is healthy and we have potentially alot of good youngsters coming through at all levels which was demonstrated again today with two of our products signing extended contracts along with nelson whos done well since arriving from stoke.

A

Anonymous

nightshift green":1grcfds4 said:
a few points from me having sat through a youth meeting on last night we have been told that regardless as to what happens with the first team next year will carry on exactly the same as this year and all the funding for this is in place. the payment that so called bigger clubs will have to pay is 64 grand unless the player in question signs a contract then we can demand more of a fee for the player in question.so we still could see alot of youngsters come through to play for the club as alot of the time this is the best way for there development. our youth contrary to opinion is healthy and we have potentially alot of good youngsters coming through at all levels which was demonstrated again today with two of our products signing extended contracts along with nelson whos done well since arriving from stoke.

It seems to me that within the restrictions of the Elite Player Performance Plan that the club have properly and thoughtfully restructured the youth set up to reflect the circumstances that will be operational from 1st August 2012. That they have done this, announced it and properly budgeted for it some four months in advance is to their credit and gives some certainty when uncertainty over the implications for the EPPP continues to prevail at some other Football League clubs in the south and south west.

Apr 4, 2004
It seems that the link I posted earlier in this thread was to an early draft of the EPPP. The football league clubs negotiated some changes. One of them being that under 9s and under 10s can be trained and contracted by clubs with level 3 accadamies.

One more thing that has been nagging away at me. Has the club invited a potential problem by allowing the youth coaches to become self employed. What if one of our coaches does his work for Argyle but also takes work as a scout for level one accadamy who want to be made aware of any outstanding prospects in the area. Will Argyle be any position to demand the loyalty it could from an employed member of staff. I don't know too much about these things but I do know that HMRC don't much like self employed people to get their work from just the one source. I can't imagine that the club could legally prevent the coaches from taking roles with other clubs in addition to their work with Argyle. Could this open potential conflict of interest issues for the coaches that could harm the club. It might be nothing, I am just thinking out loud really.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
ming the merciless":21f74fo9 said:
It seems that the link I posted earlier in this thread was to an early draft of the EPPP. The football league clubs negotiated some changes. One of them being that under 9s and under 10s can be trained and contracted by clubs with level 3 accadamies.

One more thing that has been nagging away at me. Has the club invited a potential problem by allowing the youth coaches to become self employed. What if one of our coaches does his work for Argyle but also takes work as a scout for level one accadamy who want to be made aware of any outstanding prospects in the area. Will Argyle be any position to demand the loyalty it could from an employed member of staff. I don't know too much about these things but I do know that HMRC don't much like self employed people to get their work from just the one source. I can't imagine that the club could legally prevent the coaches from taking roles with other clubs in addition to their work with Argyle. Could this open potential conflict of interest issues for the coaches that could harm the club. It might be nothing, I am just thinking out loud really.

I don't think the majority of the youth coaches are full time employees. Some will have day jobs & some will be 'freelance' coaches who also work with schools and other private coaching set ups.

Aug 12, 2011
Mike Charlick":1zamhu6y said:
Attended the first day of the FA Youth Award (Module 1) course today. Also in attendance, Mr Kevin Hodges.

Class. Did you hammer him for information and trade secrets about the future game! :greensmile:

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
gracie11":3cdu2dxy said:
Mike Charlick":3cdu2dxy said:
Attended the first day of the FA Youth Award (Module 1) course today. Also in attendance, Mr Kevin Hodges.

Class. Did you hammer him for information and trade secrets about the future game! :greensmile:

No, but was reassured that as a fellow 'oldie', like me, he tended to observe the practices rather than participate! :D