Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up

Apr 4, 2004
I'm so angry about this EPPP. We and a lot of other clubs have been well and truly dumped on. It seems like the FA are trying to give the prem clubs even more of a head start over all the others, as if they need even more help.
It hasn't happened but if one of the big clubs wanted my lad I just can't see what they could possibly offer that would be better than what Argyle offer. What would be the point in being at one of the big clubs many satelite centres, so far away from their main hub of activity. I just don't see how that's worth doing. The big clubs are going to end up with hundreds of players at each age group all over the country, all sold on the dream of playing for Arschelster city. I am in no way qualified to judge what Argyle do with youth, but it looks absolutley excelent to me. I know that lot's of other parents who's lads are involved feel the same. but unfortunatly not all.

B

Baby Face Johnson

ming the merciless":39zxewoj said:
I'm so angry about this EPPP. We and a lot of other clubs have been well and truly dumped on. It seems like the FA are trying to give the prem clubs even more of a head start over all the others, as if they need even more help.
It hasn't happened but if one of the big clubs wanted my lad I just can't see what they could possibly offer that would be better than what Argyle offer. What would be the point in being at one of the big clubs many satelite centres, so far away from their main hub of activity. I just don't see how that's worth doing. The big clubs are going to end up with hundreds of players at each age group all over the country, all sold on the dream of playing for Arschelster city. I am in no way qualified to judge what Argyle do with youth, but it looks absolutley excelent to me. I know that lot's of other parents who's lads are involved feel the same. but unfortunatly not all.

Surely there is still the choice to stay at Argyle if the big clubs come knocking.

Apr 4, 2004
Baby Face Johnson":3i9sffmx said:
ming the merciless":3i9sffmx said:

Surely there is still the choice to stay at Argyle if the big clubs come knocking.

I hope so, but how many clubs are going to pack it in altogether now that the deck is so stacked in favour of the bigger clubs. The bit that really gauls me is that the bigger accadamies are allowed longer with the kids, so they can develop them faster. Also the smaller clubs look to have lost the right to sign the youngest age groups on contract basis. So the likes of Argyle will not have the security that offers. Will the level three accadamies say everything under the age of 11 isn't viable because of the contract situation. This is a massive kick in the balls and abuse of a monopoly.

B

Baby Face Johnson

ming the merciless":2dwwjga8 said:
Baby Face Johnson":2dwwjga8 said:
ming the merciless":2dwwjga8 said:

I hope so, but how many clubs are going to pack it in altogether now that the deck is so stacked in favour of the bigger clubs. The bit that really gauls me is that the bigger accadamies are allowed longer with the kids, so they can develop them faster. Also the smaller clubs look to have lost the right to sign the youngest age groups on contract basis. So the likes of Argyle will not have the security that offers. Will the level three accadamies say everything under the age of 11 isn't viable because of the contract situation. This is a massive kick in the balls and abuse of a monopoly.

Yes, all fair points.

Aug 12, 2011
ming the merciless":1a0i4b19 said:
Baby Face Johnson":1a0i4b19 said:
ming the merciless":1a0i4b19 said:

i think they can still sign contracts even at 8-9-10

Dec 29, 2010
The reality is that the best youngsters will be trained at the level 1 academies with the best coaches and the best facilities.
It is then up to them to prove that they deserve a professional contract.
If, at 17/18, they are deemed to be not good enough for that level, then they will be signed up by a lower league club.
Ok, so Argyle won't reach the quarter finals of the FA youth cup again but so what.
Ultimately, players find their comfort level.
That will never change.

G

grovehill

So Mr President:-

is the budget for youth football at Argyle , going up, going down, or broadly staying the same?

I still can't believe that all the league clubs signed up to a deal that will see them produce young players for premier league clubs to pick up for peanuts before they are old enough to represent the local club that has spent money coaching them.
We'll never see the likes of Mason & Lecointe coming through and scoring goals for Argyle again unless they are dyed in the wool Argyle fans and want to be here. Parents of kids will be touting them around to all the big clubs once they've had a bit of good form in the youth team to try and cash in and live the dream, i think its disgusting.

Can anyone tell me why the league clubs signed up for this? what are they getting out of this deal other than shafted because they all signed up for it. I remember at the time thinking why? it wasn't made clear but there must be a reason.

G

Gareth Nicholson

Devonportender":19cyozsm said:
Can anyone tell me why the league clubs signed up for this? what are they getting out of this deal other than shafted because they all signed up for it. I remember at the time thinking why? it wasn't made clear but there must be a reason.

At the risk of sounding 'political', they were, effectively, blackmailed into it.

If clubs had opted against the proposals, the annual funding they receive from the Premier League for youth development - over £5m-per-season - would have been withheld.

The clubs voted 46 in favour and 22 against, with three no-shows and one abstention - while the Premier League decided in favour of adopting EPPP at a meeting in June.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15381652

There's very little economic argument these days for having a youth set-up (although there is of course a huge community argument). What are we looking to produce: really good young players who will have a chance to reach the greatest heights in the game, or players good enough to play for Argyle but not anybody else? It's Hobson's choice, really. Instead of developing young footballers to 16, you end up waiting for young Devonians to fail to make it at other clubs and pick them up when they've been released at 17, 19 or later.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think this is why it was voted in by the FL clubs who really only lose in this situation...

Now, you might be reading this and thinking, “is there anything in it for the 72 league clubs at all?” Well, there is. The Premier League clubs will continue to give funding of £5 million per year to lower league clubs to assist in youth development over a four year period. “So,” the Premier League clubs say, “vote ‘yes’ and you keep your funding, vote ‘no’ and it stops.” The hands of the 72 very much tied.

Taken from This Article...

It's a bleddy joke, I think football really is becoming a 20 horse race in this country :furious:

Editted to add...
Just beat me there Gareth :lol:

G

Gareth Nicholson

Actually, it'd be interesting to see which way Argyle voted on this at the time. I think it was still while Ridsdale was with us, so I can't see us taking a moral stance.

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
It is a sad state of affairs, and I think it is extremely unfair to prevent children from an early age being involved in a local club. The ramifications of which I suppose could put pressure on families in supporting the fledgling career further a field and removing the child from their community / friends / family etc.

On the other hand, the silver lining is that there will be a greater pool of young players trained in better facilities, by better coaches that will no doubt become free agent's as the bigger clubs make a decision not to keep hold of them -a good scouting network would become a more essential tool in identifying those who perhaps have something to offer / prove outside of the premiership (Curtis Nelson comes to mind in that Stoke had done the ground work before we signed him). Players invariably progress at different ages and there are numerous examples where clubs still get it wrong on who to retain or let go.

N

newquaygreen

It may not please fans that we have to abide by these new rules but we do so best get on with it.
Good to se PAFC is approaching it profesionally and looking ahead rather than leave it till the last minute
I like the way this club is looking to the outside world more and more :scarf:

E

Ed_Blackburn

To me it seems as though the incentive is to get to tier one or two as soon as possible. I am very much interested in hearing responses to my inquiries a few weeks ago [1]

I would very much like to see how private academies fit into the EPPP framework? Is there scope for private enterprises to hoover up kids extra to the football league and premier league? Or if not are they exempt from the permitted poaching? I suppose what I'm saying is, is it worth the Foundation or what ever framework Argyle put in place being funded extra to the club and thus being exempt from the restrictions. Would such a system be worth rejecting 1/72 of £5m for?

We need to be innovative here Bristol City and Southampton have large tier one or two systems and will steal all our talent. We are starting from scratch so can we take advantage? How do we adapt?

[1] viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64956#p1129797