Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Statement on Youth Set-up

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Well I'm no expert on these matters but that all seems very sensible to me. The appointment of Ian Stonebridge as Lead Sports Scientist seems particularly interesting.

Oct 28, 2011
Is Scott Russell not head of sports science? or is he jsut concentrating on our fitness stuff now?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Not to sure what this EPPP thing is all about, and who it will benefit, but Kevin Hodges heading up the youth set up seems to be a good move.

L

liverply1

Does that mean Kevin hodges is head of youth and youth team coach as well???????

Mar 21, 2008
So this is that new system where we bend over and get shafted while giving any promising players to the top ten or so clubs, is that right?

What does category 3 mean and where in the scale does that put us in terms of being poachers rather than the poached?

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a thread yet about 16 yr old Sam Gallagher who's just been taken off us by Southampton, no doubt a future class player we'll never get to see in an Argyle shirt.

R

Rupert

MrP20":xsqiv033 said:
Is Scott Russell not head of sports science?

At first-team level, he is, unless I've missed something. I assume Stonebridge will only work within the youth department.

C

charlee

This new system will destroy any youth system, we will be robbed by the top teams. No more Joe Masons or Youngs.

Bad news for football.

Cat 1 and 2 teams can poach anyone in are local area. Which is annoying. Just another ploy to kill off the lower leagues.

R

Rupert

ming the merciless":5hv264ku said:
EPPP Rules
http://www.footballacademytalk.com/...he-new-fa-elite-player-performance-plan-eppp/

Scrolling down that page to the catagory three that Argyle are aiming for initially. It says "Clubs in this category will not be permitted to coach youngsters until they are 11"

My lad is 9 and in the system at the moment. Have I got this right? he won't be able to train any more. I so hope I am missing something.

Not sure how the new system applies to lads already with clubs. Good question to ask. But, in practice, Argyle are it seems being forced into giving up on coaching lads below the age of 11.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
To me personally it sounds like an attempt to pander to the big boys in the Premier League, in my opinion all it shows is that the FA really do only care about 20 or so clubs and the rest are just here for show.

It's good to see we are making the neccessary changes a few hours ago I was begining to worry that we could be losing our youth system all together. Obviously we aren't in light of this news but what annoys me is that no matter what we do the Premier League clubs can now just hand-pick the talent from anywhere leaving us with little to choose from in the already small market for younger players down here. What I can see happening is big clubs picking up youngsters who show any sign of promise because they can and drop them if they aren't good enough, thats how I see this new rule panning out anyway, we'll see :sigh:

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
Rupert":1izv6bba said:
But, in practice, Argyle are it seems being forced into giving up on coaching lads below the age of 11.

It's disgusting.

I've heard that Arsenal hold events down here, in Plymouth, Newquay, etc and no doubt other top clubs do as well. They'll be able to pick up any youngster from the region and stick them on their conveyor-belts while their local clubs are handicapped. If we develop a young player over a four-year period and then a big club says "we'll take him now", as a Category 3 club we'll be "compensated" with £50,000. Meanwhile, a Category 1 club, having put the same amount of time and effort in, will receive £160,000. Ridiculous.

I know that the loss of Lloyd Jones, a Welsh youth international, to Liverpool for £20,000 (no, there isn't a zero missing), was no doubt influenced by us being in administration, but I can see it occurring regularly when the EPPP goes through. The biggest clubs gets all the benefits, the rest get shafted.

Oct 24, 2010
Is it worth having such an elaborate youth set up considering the small number of first teamer's we have produced in the past. Is not the £300k a year better spent on experienced players particularly now big clubs can pinch any gems we may unearth for a pittance.