Are you ready...............? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Are you ready...............?

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
I'm very pleased Freddie has deservedly won this award and PASOTI can be proud that it has played it's part in helping.
Obviously supporters of the other candidates and their respective teams will have utilised whatever resources were available to them to galvanise their own voters but it has to be said that if fan sites were in divisions PASOTI would be in The Prem. I am more than a little surprised, therefore, that the erudite LC couldn't see that himself before he made that rash two footed challenge in his opening post. After all he apparently knows the laws of the game inside out and often expresses his faith in refereeing decisions even in the face of overwhelming dissent from other posters who were at a particular match when LC himself was not. By the way does this mean LC is now on a yellow card? If so it may be time to resurrect the 'Inbuilt Exeter Bias on Radio Devon Sport' debate. He loves to defend good old BBC so maybe he can be goaded into picking up a second yellow and give us a few weeks rest from 'well what they do at Palace.....yawn yawn' so reminiscent of Uncle Albert's 'During the war.....' :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, if I had a penny for every lorry driver who's said to me 'Can I do Portsmouth in an hour' (whilst in Plymouth) I could have bought PAFC many years ago. Like it or not we are a sleepy backwater to millions.

May 16, 2016
Shankster":127k3xuj said:
Plymouth has Wayne Sleep, it’ simply doesn’t get bigger than that

Gus Honeybun, and proof of travel on the train up the Hoe, eclipses a man in tights.

Oct 16, 2016
Guiri Green":3278ebq9 said:
Shankster":3278ebq9 said:
Plymouth has Wayne Sleep, it’ simply doesn’t get bigger than that

Gus Honeybun, and proof of travel on the train up the Hoe, eclipses a man in tights.

‘Ding a ling’ as the lady says

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
r4h4al":m1x90y28 said:
So what constitutes a big club in this country then do you have to be in the PL?

Nah. We're bigger than Bournemouth.

Leeds are bigger than Burnley.

Sunderland are bigger than Palace.

It's what football fans know, not what they're told.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Off topic, I know, but does anyone rugemember goalkeeper, Neil Ramsbottom winning our Player of the Season in 1976/77, a year when we were relegated.

I seem to recall that it was controversial.

For some reason, this debate reminded me of that vote.

Anyhow, well done Freddie!! I voted using the club website.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It was something to do with Sparrow's Newsagent, but that's all I can remember. I'm sure it came out it was rigged. Perhaps Memory Man can remind us.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Shankster":11a0rdfm said:
IJN":11a0rdfm said:
Shankster":11a0rdfm said:
I don’t believe in this ‘provincial small club’ label, especially in the case of Plymouth Argyle. I’ve been to Leyton Orient on a cold winters Tuesday night and been surrounded by circa 1000 greens. Argyle are a big club with a strong history and widespread and passionate fanbase. Simply don’t buy the belittling of the club at all

Webby and I met Stevie Castle and Kevin Nugent at a PASLB meeting about 7 years ago, both of them said that whilst Argyle are big in Devon, they aren't even talked about past Bristol. I always remember them saying it, and I think they are right to a certain extent.

I love this club, but to claim we are a 'big' club is a nonsense.

Big is subjective Ian, how do we gauge big?

Turnover, shirts sold in the Philippines? Crowd/ stadium size? Big for me is consistency and provincially.

If you listened to anyone north of Bristol they’d suggest they don’t know where Plymouth is and yet Plymouth has the strongest history as a city in the U.K. probably in the world (of course it depends on how far back you want to go);
Amarda
World war
Trade
Naval
Pilgrim Fathers
Et etc etc

When I go North they talk about Portsmouth and yet they really are no one as a city or a club IMO

Portsmouth have been in the top league and won the FA Cup in recent years....remind me when Argyle did either.

Pilgrim fathers never intended to stop at Plymouth...only happened because of needing repairs.

Trade small time compared with Bristol, Liverpool and Port of London.

But I was born in Devonport and proud of it...although I discarded my green tinted glasses when I got to civilization.

Saw an Argyle shirt in a local charity shop and it was there for ever.....too small for me.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Princerock":1lyq4z6p said:
I discarded my green tinted glasses when I got to civilization.

Says it all.

London's really doing well isn't it? At least you can walk the streets of Plymouth in safety still.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
IJN":2mv8kdqb said:
It was something to do with Sparrow's Newsagent, but that's all I can remember. I'm sure it came out it was rigged. Perhaps Memory Man can remind us.
absolutely correct.i used to know john sparrow and he had voting forms in his shop and he easily persuaded people to put down neil ramsbottom name because he and john were big mates.nothing sinister in it in my opinion just john pushing his mate.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Thanks, IJN and Steve. I didn’t know that was the reason but just didn’t think he had been our best player that season.

Aug 5, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":29pjfoth said:
Hmmmmmm.... you’ve just devalued it if you are saying he won it because you forced the result rather than him being League One player of the month.

Whereas you thought Blackpool and Accrington Stanley fans were watching hours of footage to determine who objectively had the best month, as opposed to just voting for their own player.