Annoying footballisms | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Annoying footballisms

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I had a moan about this a few years back on a similar thread.

"He had the goalkeeper beaten but he missed by the thickness of a coat of paint!"

No, he missed by the thickness of a coat of paint plus the full width of the post/bar plus the full width of the ball - a good 12"/30cms or more.

And no, he didn't beat the goalkeeper: replays clearly show that the goalie's hand was directly behind where the ball would have flown had it actually been on target.

JadePilgrim

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Aug 7, 2012
My current cringe moment is when pundits are discussing a match and then someone will bring up the name of a former player, someone who, in his day was well regarded, but not so much talked about these days. Without fail, one of them will exclaim:
"What a player he was, by the way!"
I've heard so many of them say it, and of course they all copy the mannerism exactly. There's even a chap on X that's put together a compilation of the many times it's been said. Highlighting how ridiculous it all is.

Reactions: JPB

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It does actually because a 3 goal lead is usually safe, but 2 can lead to misplaced complacency.

It’s just an excuse. You only ever hear it after a team have actually blown a 2 goal goal lead. It’s the same as “we probably scored too early”, you never hear a manager say that after a win.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It amazes me how pundits like Ally McCoist, Clinton Morrison and especially Steve McManaman continually get jobs. They are crap and offer no insight to a live game or highlights.

Sep 6, 2006
It amazes me how pundits like Ally McCoist, Clinton Morrison and especially Steve McManaman continually get jobs. They are crap and offer no insight to a live game or highlights.
The other night McCoist was stating what a great game the ref was having whilst at the same time saying he would never give a free kick for anything.

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Such and such a team “were saved by the frame of the goal”. No, you dunderhead, they feckin’ missed.