Annoying footballisms | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Annoying footballisms

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
‘In terms of...'

Not exclusive to football as its overused by far too many on tv, but especially football people.

I swear I heard a football commentator say, ‘He’s 6’5”...........................in terms of height’. Really? I thought you were referring to the size of his feet!

Nov 11, 2020
Commentators referring to Trent …
‘Recycling’ the ball, just win it back.
The old ones used to be ‘ a game of two halves’ and ‘keep a clean sheet and we’ll get something’ !!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Commentators referring to Trent …
‘Recycling’ the ball, just win it back.
The old ones used to be ‘ a game of two halves’ and ‘keep a clean sheet and we’ll get something’ !!
Recycling the ball isn't about winning it back. It's when you've got the ball and turn away to move play in a different direction. So say someone's got the ball wide right on the halfway line, if they were going forward, but turn back and play it to the defence to move the ball the other way, that's recycling the ball.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell

GreenTom

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Dec 20, 2022
The constant use of the present tense to describe things that have either happened or might happen.

"If he gets a head on that he scores", "if they don't get promoted, the manager goes" etc

• Love
Reactions: memory man

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
"he/she put his/her body on the line there" - that is what the military and the emergency services do, not footballers.

(The only more irritating thing is that to be PC I have to say he/she and his/her:()

Reactions: Bovey Green lady
May 26, 2015
"At this moment in time" . . . Any guesses? Not my favourite manager.

Often said of goal keepers:

- he's a clown;
- he's flapped at that;
- he's 'spilled it', or 'spooned it';
- he's 'made a meal of that';
- 'he'll be disappointed with that'

In contrast, for outfield players who miss a goal chance, or miss a pass, or mistime a tackle it's:

- hard lines;
- so unlucky to hit the post/bar with that shot;
- nice try;
- almost threaded that pass through the eye of a needle;
- unlucky to be offside, he just slightly mistimed the run/pass;
- never touched him/opponent has conned the ref

Who would be a goalkeeper?

Aug 14, 2014
Is or is not a "number 10."
What about the others between 2 and 11,----- or 12 to whatever the shirt that has borne the highest number to date?

The female commentators have perpetuated the rubbish and missed an opportunity to help rid the game of Annoying Footballisms.