20/21 financial statements submitted | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

20/21 financial statements submitted

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I know Simon Hallett has said he’d not be able to take us to the premier league.. these finances show where he’s put his money which he's also said would be his last cash injection. I do hope tho that should that day ever come that SH sells his majority share that he'd still stay on the board and be part of the amazing journey that could end up for the first time in our history to have a team that have played in the top flight..

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Remember that is only a moment in time. Wages will have made a decent hole in that before the new season kicked off, as will the laying of a new pitch.
When did season tickets go on sale? ST money only comes in once per year but much of it is earmarked to pay the monthly salaries throughout the coming year. It would be foolhardy to spend it immediately and hope that enough comes in on matchdays to cover wages.

Jan 6, 2004
I agree if other clubs did not have insurance that puts us at an advantage but I cannot see how it can be said we should discount this for purposes of assessing long term income potential of club- as one might other exceptional items like the premier league one off pay out

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Re any talk of a next level if SH has put his last cash into the club, I reckon Argyle are a dead cert to be the subject of a takeover in the near future. Which I wouldn’t necessarily want, at the moment.

But all the ingredients are there… stable well-run club, owns its own stadium, no debt, large fanbase, untapped po***tial, can be bought relatively cheaply, and English football and investment more popular than ever.

As we know though, be very careful what you wish for. But if you were… let’s say… another American group scouring English football for an ideal opportunity, there aren’t many better looking propositions.

Jul 9, 2011
I have been thinking along the same lines with all the financial details released, media coverage, top of the league or near top of the league, fairly good crowds with all the talk of potential in the area to become a big club are we being put in the shop window for potential buyers.

Apr 1, 2009
Would Argyle really make a great investment in terms of profit making potential? Or would it merely be attractive as a play thing for a mega rich sugar daddy? I tend towards the latter.

Many businesses are sold when they are cheap in terms of where they are at the time of the sale. Often when they are struggling, perhaps in terms of cash flow, but have assets that a new owner could exploit. Argyle at present would not be cheap. If (and it's a big if) Simon Hallett was inclined to sell to an organisation looking to invest big in Argyle, I think we can assume that he would want a good price for a club that is perceived as well run and on the up. And quite rightly so.

Simon Hallett, and James Brent before him, have always talked about making Argyle sustainable. In other words to be generating enough money to pay the bills. That's about as good as it gets at L1 level. If you get promoted to the Championship of course, then it changes. In many ways for the worse. The Championship if full of clubs, many of whom were once famous, all dreaming of getting back to the Premier League, almost all enduring huge annual losses. If you do manage to reach the Premier League, there are huge rewards, but only as long as you stay there.

People bang on about our potential, our huge catchment area for fans, the possibility of being a "big" club. However there are massive constraints. This weekend we might sell out for a L1 fixture against once-successful Ipswich. If we reached the Championship we might sell out more often, at least initially, though our last spell in the second tier saw gates drop off as the excitement of playing some bigger name clubs waned quite quickly. Yes, we could extend capacity a bit by building Phase 2, but this wouldn't meet PL demand for tickets (should we get there), yet might be largely wasted if we stagnated in the Championship.

In most instances, football clubs are not true investments. Outside the PL, there are ceilings on potential income but a bottomless pit of expenditure. Of course there's potential for growth, but people talk much less about the potential for things to go badly wrong. We've been there before, remember, with owners seeking personal riches who almost cost the club its existence.

If Argyle were ever to reach the PL, the likelihood is that it would happen under mega rich owners using us as a plaything or for slightly dubious purposes. We might get lucky and find a genuine billionaire benefactor, but might equally find ourselves in the hands of unscrupulous wealth exploiting our publicity to make a political point. I struggle to get excited about this sort of potential "investor".

Aug 17, 2005
What I found interesting with the accounts after all the discussions on transfer fees for Cooper and hardie we paid nothing upfront but maybe sell on clauses

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Would Argyle really make a great investment in terms of profit making potential? Or would it merely be attractive as a play thing for a mega rich sugar daddy? I tend towards the latter.

Many businesses are sold when they are cheap in terms of where they are at the time of the sale. Often when they are struggling, perhaps in terms of cash flow, but have assets that a new owner could exploit. Argyle at present would not be cheap. If (and it's a big if) Simon Hallett was inclined to sell to an organisation looking to invest big in Argyle, I think we can assume that he would want a good price for a club that is perceived as well run and on the up. And quite rightly so.

I think people will be looking at Brentford especially and thinking 'I could do that'.

You pick up a club for £20-30 million at the top of League One/bottom of the Championship and if you're very smart (the emphasis on 'smart') and lucky with a bit of extra investment, you could be looking at hundreds of millions coming in if you can get promoted.

Again, don't necessarily want it to happen as we're very happy with the current ownership. But with the investment to English football we're seeing, from Ryan Reynolds at Wrexham up to Saudi Arabia in Newcastle... I'd be stunned if Argyle didn't look very attractive indeed to someone with serious intentions. Though having said that, location and lack of airport would be a big turn-off.

May 8, 2011
What I found interesting with the accounts after all the discussions on transfer fees for Cooper and hardie we paid nothing upfront but maybe sell on clauses
In the accounts under assets, the players line had an addition of £210,000 so that could be the transfer fees paid, or the costs could be included in the £600k increase in administrative costs.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Get the correct foundations in place now and the rest should allow us to compete.

I think our strategy will be to try and bring on homegrown talent and develop them. If we can sell on players for considerable profit that will give us a solid cushion that can club can build on.

Easy on paper but the only feasible way I can see us competing in the championship.

Youth and development will be a massive entity for Argyle in the coming years.

Reactions: Mr J.B. Easten
Aug 17, 2005
In the accounts under assets, the players line had an addition of £210,000 so that could be the transfer fees paid, or the costs could be included in the £600k increase in administrative costs.
Yes it is possible, but as the section is under assests I consider its what they consider the value of the squad has increased by not what we paid.
If they intended transfer fees to be listed under the assets section why have a section dealing just with transfer fees and why wasn't the previous year's profits put underneath it.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Yes it is possible, but as the section is under assests I consider its what they consider the value of the squad has increased by not what we paid.
If they intended transfer fees to be listed under the assets section why have a section dealing just with transfer fees and why wasn't the previous year's profits put underneath it.
You don't recognise the value of players you've not purchased.

So Cooper, Jephers etc have no bearing on the accounts until we sell them

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
As predicted, a piece on Price of Football pod about the accounts... https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...-qatar-world-cup/id1482886394?i=1000539949464

Starts on 11:32 (y)
I do regularly listen to this podcast and Argyle do sit on their ‘top step’ and not surprised that Argyle get Kieran’s ‘pat on the back’ when considering the state of other clubs and how they are run.
I have also read other postings in this thread which are mixed and varied. We are in a good place just now considering the exceptional issues both outside and inside the club but we do need to be mindful that Simon Hallett will not be putting in more money and so we need to make a profit in the future to be sustainable whichever division we play our football.
Transparency is the key phrase in the club’s policies and Simon will keep his word. Results on the pitch may not always go our way but we must all remain resolute in our support vocally, verbally and financially.
Our future is in our current and future Academy players. We will release some of our better players when the right offers (to the player and the club) come our way but we need replacements already in our club to step up to fill the gaps without detriment to the performances of the 1st team. The foundations are there including a style of play that runs through all teams.
It’s a good time to be part of the Green Army so let’s enjoy it while we can.
COYGs.
Fawlty