20/21 financial statements submitted | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

20/21 financial statements submitted

Jan 27, 2012
While the club is big in comparison to many others in Leagues One and Two, it is still small-fry in comparison to most Championship clubs. If Argyle reached that level, they would be candidates for immediate relegation. I suspect the club would have to pay their Championship players top-end League One wages and also hope that they could generate a couple of million through player sales. It would be hard work !

I hate to say this, but the Premier League seems almost out of reach. I don't think the club is likely to be attractive to a sugar-daddy type owner because of its remote location and relatively small size. Most people would consider Plymouth to be an economically deprived backwater. I'm not saying the Premier League is impossible , but honestly it seems very unlikely to me. Even if a good Championship squad was assembled, it would be difficult to stop players leaving for higher wages elsewhere (look what happened under Holloway).

The best chance we have right now is under a sensible chairman such as Simon Hallett who, as well as providing his own funding, is seeking to grow the club slowly until it can become financially sustainable. Remaining sustainable in the Championship would be a great target to reach, but in no way easy.

Reactions: David Doidge

Andy70

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jan 12, 2020
It's worth remembering that Simon Hallett has repeatedly made it clear that he would only ever sell the club to someone else who was committed to the same path of sustainable finances.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
While the club is big in comparison to many others in Leagues One and Two, it is still small-fry in comparison to most Championship clubs. If Argyle reached that level, they would be candidates for immediate relegation. I suspect the club would have to pay their Championship players top-end League One wages and also hope that they could generate a couple of million through player sales. It would be hard work !

I hate to say this, but the Premier League seems almost out of reach. I don't think the club is likely to be attractive to a sugar-daddy type owner because of its remote location and relatively small size. Most people would consider Plymouth to be an economically deprived backwater. I'm not saying the Premier League is impossible , but honestly it seems very unlikely to me. Even if a good Championship squad was assembled, it would be difficult to stop players leaving for higher wages elsewhere (look what happened under Holloway).

The best chance we have right now is under a sensible chairman such as Simon Hallett who, as well as providing his own funding, is seeking to grow the club slowly until it can become financially sustainable. Remaining sustainable in the Championship would be a great target to reach, but in no way easy.

Do agree with most of that, but think the club is more attractive than you think it is.

Location is a factor though, if there was a proper international airport in Plymouth then it would be a gamechanger I reckon. If my auntie had bo**ocks and all that, though...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not sure whether that's that big a deal Biggsy. As far as airports are concerned, Clyst Honiton is a mere skip away.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I have listened to 2 of the recent Argyle Podcasts; one was Graham Coughlan a few weeks ago and the other was David Norris today. In both instances, they gave the impression that they were very happy here and that they were not desperate to leave. In Cocko’s case, he was forced to leave and, with Chuck, he would have been prepared to stay for less than was being offered by other clubs but he realised that things were not quite right at the club when others started to leave and then Holloway left.
It does appear, at the moment, that there is a similar atmosphere in our current dressing room compared to the Sturrock 1 era and I think that players like Galloway, Broom and Agard would be happy to continue their careers here, if offered.
Chuck mentioned more than once that they were not the most skilful team in that era but they all got on well with one another and they were successful because of their team spirit.
I believe that we have a similar camaraderie here currently and it comes from the owner to the administration, the playing management, the playing squad, the Community Trust and many other parts of our club, including volunteers.
Simon Hallett wants our club to be RESPECTED and I believe that that is happening with our openness and transparency, evidenced by the prompt and efficient production of our financial accounts as well as our current achievements on the football pitch.
Long may it continue!!

Reactions: Andy70 and metroace
Jan 27, 2012
I have listened to 2 of the recent Argyle Podcasts;
I’ll check this out. I didn‘t know the club did a podcast.

I used to listen to the Herald podcast which I thought was very good. It seemed to stop when Jack Ball unfortunately left. I think the Herald, as an independent news outlet, had a bit more freedom to criticise or comment on the club. Danis Salman didn‘t hold back if he disagreed with something!