Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: The Checkatrade is here again
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:44 pm 
GT Sponsor, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

Argyle will play Newport County, Swindon and an under-21s side from either Arsenal, Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea, Fulham, Southampton, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur or West Ham United in round 1.

All EFL clubs will play two of their three matches at home.

Could see us up against Luke McCormick.

Herald

Visit our charity at: http://www.highschoolforkibera.org

Post subject: Re: The Checkatrade is here again
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 pm 

Nice run-outs for an Argyle Reserve team but I would much prefer it if we were back in the good old Football Combination where we could see the likes of Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea etc etc every other week on a reserves basis. Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm 

Yes do you remember when there was a 40K plus crowd at a combination game against Spurs back in the 60’s. They had just re-signed Greavsie. I know he remembered it when I saw him at a function where he was guest speaker a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 pm 

Good news, gives the fringe players, good run outs, and game time as well as the reserve league, especially with the number of first team players

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 pm 

A season or two before I started, but I do remember alternate Saturday afternoons and a few freezing Tuesday evenings sharing (with a few hundred hardy souls) the joy of watching Argyle's kids and out-of-favour senior squad members battle it out with an equal mixture of up-and-coming First Division starlets and established names. Off the top of my head I recall seeing Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Charlie Nicholas, Peter Marinello (all Arsenal so far!) Peter Houseman, Mickey Droy etc etc. Heady days...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm 

Kentishgreen wrote:
Yes do you remember when there was a 40K plus crowd at a combination game against Spurs back in the 60’s. They had just re-signed Greavsie. I know he remembered it when I saw him at a function where he was guest speaker a few years ago.

Are you thinking of the 40,000 attendance against Spurs in the FA Cup? I know Greavsie famously played in a reserve match down here but even the Argyle first team weren't attracting 40,000 let alone their reseves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 pm 

Mark58 wrote:
A season or two before I started, but I do remember alternate Saturday afternoons and a few freezing Tuesday evenings sharing (with a few hundred hardy souls) the joy of watching Argyle's kids and out-of-favour senior squad members battle it out with an equal mixture of up-and-coming First Division starlets and established names. Off the top of my head I recall seeing Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Charlie Nicholas, Peter Marinello (all Arsenal so far!) Peter Houseman, Mickey Droy etc etc. Heady days...

I remember Osgood and Chivers also playing at HP....very good standard of reserve football in those days...(Chelsea, Spurs Arsenal were regular visitors....and Mansfield Town)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am 

Lundan Cabbie wrote:
Kentishgreen wrote:

Are you thinking of the 40,000 attendance against Spurs in the FA Cup? I know Greavsie famously played in a reserve match down here but even the Argyle first team weren't attracting 40,000 let alone their reseves.

The biggest ever home attendance was 43,596 in Oct 1936 against Aston Villa - a bit before my time. I did attend the first Jimmy Greaves game following his return from Italy. It was for Spurs reserves v Argyle reserves. He scored twice. Not certain of the attendance but I think it was more around 20k certainly not anywhere near 40k

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:49 am 
GT Sponsor, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

Memory Man might be able to help me here but I do recall a story where, at a reserve game, they were selling FA Cup tickets to those that attended. Fans paid to get in, bought their FA Cup ticket, promptly went out again only to return so they could buy another FA Cup ticket thereby giving the hugely false attendance figure. Fact or fiction?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 am 

Keepitgreen wrote:
Memory Man might be able to help me here but I do recall a story where, at a reserve game, they were selling FA Cup tickets to those that attended. Fans paid to get in, bought their FA Cup ticket, promptly went out again only to return so they could buy another FA Cup ticket thereby giving the hugely false attendance figure. Fact or fiction?

viewtopic.php?t=81745&p=1435849

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Correct. I may well be wrong but I think it was to get tickets for the Spurs FA Cup either that or a West Brom game but I am fairly sure it was for Spurs. We got stuffed by Spurs 6 something but it was great to go and the crowd were brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am 

kernow19 wrote:
Keepitgreen wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=81745&p=1435849

Great thanks. Knew I'd seen something about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

I'd imagine that a home game against Swansea reserves on a Champions League Tuesday night will be quite the hot ticket.

The sooner this wretched competition is put out of its misery, the better.

https://www.thecalmzone.net/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next