Safe standing - Herald article | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing - Herald article

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
jimsing":3dy93vb6 said:
There appears to be a very selfish attitude from some on here.

There needs to be a little more sympathy for those who have been herded into a situation that is of not their own doing.

Their grandstand "home" is being refurbished and they have had to re-locate.

With season ticket holders holding onto their seats in the Lyndhurst, there was little room for movement for groups of two, three, and more people who would have liked to have been seated near to each other with their normal view on the centre line, a view that they have had to give up.

These people will be returning to their grandstand homes next season.

Can we not have a little bit of sympathy for these people, and maybe a less selfish viewpoint of their demise.

This. Broadly there are two outcomes, barring wholesale relocation...

1) one set of fans sees the game clearly exactly how they want to (standing), while the other set of fans can't see it at all.
2) both sets of fans see the game clearly, one seeing it exactly how they want to (sitting) and the other being able to see it but not exactly how they want to.

The outcome just has to be 2), you can't have fans paying for a ticket and being unable to see the game.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There could be a compromise of A) asking those at the back of Block 14, the standuppers, if they would like to move to Blocks 2, 3 or 4 for this season with the proviso their seats in Block 14 will still be reserved for next season.
Or B) asking the grandstand migrants if they would like to move to Block 18 or 19 for the rest of this season.

Mar 8, 2016
PL2 3DQ":3emx5st2 said:
There could be a compromise of A) asking those at the back of Block 14, the standuppers, if they would like to move to Blocks 2, 3 or 4 for this season with the proviso their seats in Block 14 will still be reserved for next season.
Or B) asking the grandstand migrants if they would like to move to Block 18 or 19 for the rest of this season.

Too much common sense involved with your suggestion for argyle to even consider that I’m afraid.

May 1, 2011
jimsing":2rkq4ttq said:
Shankster":2rkq4ttq said:
dennis the menace":2rkq4ttq said:
The club statement strikes the right note even though it's accepted that it is illegal.

It’s not illegal

Don't be picky. It's against Ground Regulations.

These regulations are rules to ensure safety.

Therefore it is against the rules.

Standing in an all seater stadium may not be against the law, but it IS against the safety regulations, and the Club have a responsibility to ensure that safety rules are adhered to.

Everyone that purchases a match ticket does so with the understanding that by doing so they agree to abide by the rules and regulations covering all seater stadia.

Nuff said.

Only 8,600 in the ground on Saturday and Argyle lose again as gates continue to consistently fall a pathetic article like this comes out. This sort if article really makes us look like a small time petty little club followed by anal fans armed with rule books under the arms whilst the team burns.

At any big club or even a half decent size club like Bristol City you accept that certain sections of the ground stand and it's a fact that there are areas where people stand. Casing point tonight Liverpool were at PSG and the away fans stood the whole game.

Some fans want to sit and that's understandable, therefore do not go in Block 14 in the standing bit of the Devonport End, at Old Trafford fans don't tend to go in the standing part of the Stretford End if they don't like it. There are plenty of empty blocks and seating facilities avaliable at Home Park so go and sit in them.

Let's try and act like a real club and be pragmatic not pedantic.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
It's an issue that would be immediately resolved if the authorities came to their senses and allowed the reintroduction of standing areas in place of seated ones. Until that happens, however, I would suggest that people standing in sections where it can reasonably be expected to occur be allowed to do so without fear of being singled out indiscriminately for ejection from the ground. This would leave probably more than 90% of the rest of the ground for sitters. Personally I prefer to sit in a seated area but would choose to stand on a terrace given the choice.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Get a grip, its all seater so sit down. If you want to stand then go somewhere where you can stand. Stop being selfish and ignorant.

Aug 4, 2011
Lancastergreen":xdureuix said:
Get a grip, its all seater so sit down. If you want to stand then go somewhere where you can stand. Stop being selfish and ignorant.
And many are. Hence the dwindling gates and lack of atmosphere anywhere other than block 3

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lancastergreen":3e4u4yjr said:

I want to lie down and watch the game, but there's all these SELFISH yobs sat in front of me. Disgusting.

As for all of the lunatics WALKING into the ground. I hope the cameras catch them and they're banned for LIFE.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
You know, this is simple. Whilst we have no safe standing area, which I would prefer us to have by the way, this is just a matter of courtesy. Straightforward human courtesy.

How personally challenging is it to forego your desire to stand up, when it is absolutely clear that this makes it difficult for people to see or, indeed, where older people are then forced to stand for a whole game. You know, for some people standing for 90 minutes isn’t that easy. So just sit down. You don’t have a right to stand, although I would prefer you had the choice to be able to do so.

Oct 16, 2016
It’s as though football has become the sport for the aged and infirm, standing used to be the norm and was so for decades. There was always an option for those that do need to sit or would prefer to do so and rightly so.

It’s a fruitless discussion because the ayes and nays are vociferous on either side.

Come Saturday the majority of the away stand at the valley will be being thrashed by the guerrilla grey brigade sat behind them

May 1, 2011
People are being pedantic on here not pragmatic, supporters have never sat down as a whole stadium since all seated areas have been introduced and they never will either. So instead of just insisting everyone sits down let's manage the situation. I.e. if you want to sit don't go in the back rows of Block 14.
Home Park is dull enough as it is these days anyway.

On Saturday the vast majority of away fans will stand and rightly so.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
You just know that if (when) safe standing is allowed, that there will still be those who refuse to move to wherever it is installed because they still will want to stand where it is not allowed.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Just as daft is those that moan, complain and refuse to move even when they know they're in a 'standing allowed' area.

Feb 8, 2005
SwimWithTheTide":5ip7ci1j said:
Lancastergreen":5ip7ci1j said:

I want to lie down and watch the game, but there's all these SELFISH yobs sat in front of me. Disgusting.

As for all of the lunatics WALKING into the ground. I hope the cameras catch them and they're banned for LIFE.

What YOU want and what you are required to do appear to be two different things, mate.

Selfish?

Dec 19, 2009
I relocated from the Mayflower into Block 14. I was fully aware there were supporters who like to stand at the back of that block so opted for a seat nearer the front. Plain common sense really, besides why should I expect long term occcupants of Block 14 to change their habits just cause I move in for one season.
The thing that's really baffling me with all this is those whinging about the standing who actually chose to relocated to the back of Block 15, did you never study the crowd behaviour at all when you were over the Grandstand side? My advice would be to relocated again to Block 18, sat there myself last Saturday, great view. Move on and we can all get on with moaning about the football instead.
I would add that I think the club could have gone along way to avoiding this situation by advising people when they chose their seats that the view from the back of Block 15 isn't what it could be. Just my opinion.