Who Would You Have To Replace Derek Adams? | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who Would You Have To Replace Derek Adams?

Dec 3, 2005
GreenLDN":kulg45k7 said:
Sorry to disappoint all of you who are praying for Adams to be sacked, but he won't be.

Far too costly for Argyle to get rid - he'll be backed regardless by the board.

We don't have a shedload of cash, but Adams will be kept on and the club will miraculously find some cash down the back of the sofa for a couple of players in Jan... potentially a couple of loans too.

We have actually become a very tempting destination of choice for clubs to send loanees to. We're basically bottom, hardly scoring and not exactly playing delightful football... anyone who comes in on loan or on a permanent deal in Jan is likely to be an automatic starter, so I think we'll see some movement.

Also - some of the names being touted in this thread are laughable. Ainsworth and Sturrock in particular are horrendous shouts.

Ainsworth hasn't done anything... Wycombe have stagnated, arguably gone backwards - they've not made the play-offs since they beat us. They don't play good football either and how many times have we criticised their time-wasting and use of the 'dark arts.' Do we want that reputation?

So it will be a good idea financially to get relegated would it?

Jan 27, 2012
I wouldn't expect Adams to be sacked anytime soon. The club owe him a lot of credit for the last 2 seasons- he has hardly been given massive funds to play with has he ?

If a club at this level appointed Tony Pulis and gave him a very good transfer budget, he's the sort of bloke that almost guarantees success. You would have a realistic chance of reaching the Premier league- but he would need the backing of a strong budget.

Thats just fantasy though- Adams bores the pants off me, but it would be very unjust to sack him. He's doing what he can with the mediocre funds that are made available to him.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
“So it will be a good idea financially to get relegated would it?”

Like most, I’ve very little curiosity as to the business finances of football beyond what the match ticket price is versus the entertainment on offer.

But that idea comment must be a pretty close call. Hence the understandable thumb twiddling.

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Some of the suggestions on here are really laughable! Tony Pulis? Hahahahaha. He would never come back here. Plenty of clubs in the championship come January will be after him. Gareth Ainsworth? Hahahahahaha...Why don’t we go for Sam Alladyce he’s available...struth.

Personally only one man really could do a job that I’ve heard mentioned and it would be Simon Grayson and to be honest I think he would be too expensive and wouldn’t want to come here anyway. Non of the other names inspire me in the slightest. It’s the managerial merry go round...where will it stop for Argyle!

I’m giving Derek more time to sort this out. It’s the first time really he’s been in a difficult position and currently he’s not doing great but barring the last result we were on a decent run so hopefully we can put oxford behind us and win against Northampton tonight!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A brief respite I think. A defeat at Pompey and bottom of the league and it will start again I am sure. The gap to 5th bottom is narrowing slowly. I feel we must persist with him.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":nkjtzle2 said:
A brief respite I think. A defeat at Pompey and bottom of the league and it will start again I am sure. The gap to 5th bottom is narrowing slowly. I feel we must persist with him.

The Adams out feeling will depend if any losses are self inflicted by avoidable tactics / substitutions.

Losses are sadly going to come with our available squad; causing or exacerbating a loss through bizarre decisions is another thing.

Let’s hope we get players back and the tactics settle.

Feb 5, 2015
djg145":3ge4benr said:
GreenLDN":3ge4benr said:
Sorry to disappoint all of you who are praying for Adams to be sacked, but he won't be.

Far too costly for Argyle to get rid - he'll be backed regardless by the board.

We don't have a shedload of cash, but Adams will be kept on and the club will miraculously find some cash down the back of the sofa for a couple of players in Jan... potentially a couple of loans too.

We have actually become a very tempting destination of choice for clubs to send loanees to. We're basically bottom, hardly scoring and not exactly playing delightful football... anyone who comes in on loan or on a permanent deal in Jan is likely to be an automatic starter, so I think we'll see some movement.

Also - some of the names being touted in this thread are laughable. Ainsworth and Sturrock in particular are horrendous shouts.

Ainsworth hasn't done anything... Wycombe have stagnated, arguably gone backwards - they've not made the play-offs since they beat us. They don't play good football either and how many times have we criticised their time-wasting and use of the 'dark arts.' Do we want that reputation?

So it will be a good idea financially to get relegated would it?

My comments don't allude to whether I think this is a good idea or not - I just laid out what I think is going to happen in the coming months.

For what it's worth, I don't think getting relegated would be a good idea financially, but I doubt it's a particularly large gap between playing in League One or League Two.

Oct 24, 2013
rsp4":20ptkgru said:
Ainsworth or Coufhlin or the Morcombe manager(cant remember hos name)

Seen the League 2 table lately? Jim Bentley of Morecambe has the same issue as DA allegedly has in that his stock is falling.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
True but he is slightly hampered by the lowest attendances in the whole football league at 1400 and less even than two thirds of the clubs in the National league below. Adams on the other hand is at a top 6/7 club attendance wise. Oh for a capable front man rather than the wages forked out for Wylde, Ainsworth, Lameiras and co.

Jul 18, 2011
jerryatricjanner":2ntixyqm said:
True but he is slightly hampered by the lowest attendances in the whole football league at 1400 and less even than two thirds of the clubs in the National league below. Adams on the other hand is at a top 6/7 club attendance wise. Oh for a capable front man rather than the wages forked out for Wylde, Ainsworth, Lameiras and co.

In defence of Adams, with the huge changes to the loan procedures this season we were always going to have to get more squad players in and that is what we have done. They will have their part to play and in some cases have already - it was a cross from Ainsworth that led to the goal and three points against Bradford for example.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Fair point but I was thinking more about the number of back up wide players when we were crying out for a front man of better quality. I hope I am wrong but too many I think see Taylor's return as the missing link. For me his record and stats don't warrant such optimism.

Sep 17, 2017
GreatYarmouthGreen":16ujl0gt said:
Some of the suggestions on here are really laughable! Tony Pulis? Hahahahaha. He would never come back here. Plenty of clubs in the championship come January will be after him. Gareth Ainsworth? Hahahahahaha...Why don’t we go for Sam Alladyce he’s available...struth.

Personally only one man really could do a job that I’ve heard mentioned and it would be Simon Grayson and to be honest I think he would be too expensive and wouldn’t want to come here anyway. Non of the other names inspire me in the slightest. It’s the managerial merry go round...where will it stop for Argyle!

I’m giving Derek more time to sort this out. It’s the first time really he’s been in a difficult position and currently he’s not doing great but barring the last result we were on a decent run so hopefully we can put oxford behind us and win against Northampton tonight!

That’s your opinion from sunny Great Yarmouth!!! I presume.

I put forward Ainsworth as a possible replacement weeks ago, not that he might even be interested, and I stand by it,

If only to get us out of this mess, longer term who knows,

We need to win and grind out results in whatever way possible mostly very ugly and GA knows all the tricks in the book,

His teams can also play football,

Look I hope DA proves me wrong and keeps us up but I’ve seen enough to believe imo that he is not the man to take to the next level, eventually.