Teams like Plymouth | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Teams like Plymouth

Jan 29, 2010
philmeboots":36eh0159 said:
The quote doesn't say "teams like Plymouth" it says put teams away like Plymouth today. I.e put teams away like he believed he had dominated today. I don't read it disrespectfully at all.

Indeed I think he is complementing us. Teams that hang in there, battle it out and keep on plugging away until the final whistle. Nothing ever mentioned about being bigger or better, which they were for the first 45 minutes.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lobster":3kr617g2 said:
These threads crack me up. We had them in the championship and league 1 last time, and everyone is up in arms when other clubs' players/managers say "teams like Plymouth".

Yet the same thing was all over this board when we were in league two. "Teams like Morecambe/Accrington/Newport etc."

We've just come up, so established teams expect to beat us. Rightly or, more likely, wrongly. They are wrong to say it, but the high horse brigade need to have a look at themselves.

Also, who cares. I'd rather teams underestimate us than not.
Good post.

Mar 5, 2012
Lobster":plup00n9 said:
These threads crack me up. We had them in the championship and league 1 last time, and everyone is up in arms when other clubs' players/managers say "teams like Plymouth".

Yet the same thing was all over this board when we were in league two. "Teams like Morecambe/Accrington/Newport etc."

We've just come up, so established teams expect to beat us. Rightly or, more likely, wrongly. They are wrong to say it, but the high horse brigade need to have a look at themselves.

Also, who cares. I'd rather teams underestimate us than not.

All of this could have been avoided if only he had just said 'games like these' instead of using our name. Let's hope we use it against him in the reverse fixture.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It all sounds so familiar to last season. We didn't lose because teams 'like Southend' couldn't put away their chances.
We'll have to improve our defending this year because League 1 teams won't let us get away with allowing them so many chances, will they?
Anyway, long way to go.

May 16, 2016
Regardless of the context in which he was speaking yesterday, It's often a good idea to see ourselves through the eyes of other Clubs fans. Our opinion of where we sit in the order of "bigness" is often a lot further away from the sober reflection of a non Argyle fan.

I mentioned once before how a Bristol Rovers supporter said he veiwed us in the same light as Yeovil. I'm sure there's others who maybe, never having been to HP or made much of an effort to research us, hold similar views.

It is annoying however, when someone connected to a club we were playing not so long ago, comes out with that sort of statement. Imagine a young Preston or Fleetwood fan saying that about Coventry in a Season or two. It would seem a natural statement to them.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I took no offence at his comments.

He could, in my opinion, easily have said "We need to be closing games out and picking up wins, like today's game".

I don't think anyone sees us as "Little old Plymouth" in this league. However, as a newly promoted team in this division, they would probably hope to be beating us at home.

Don't over think it.

If people genuinely underestimate us, let them do so at their peril!

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Phil Sloggett":1irktmlg said:

He could, in my opinion, easily have said "We need to be closing games out and picking up wins, like today's game".

I don't think anyone sees us as "Little old Plymouth" in this league. However, as a newly promoted team in this division, they would probably hope to be beating us at home.

Don't over think it.

This - there is nothing in it he's just saying they should have gone on to win today's game

Sep 6, 2006
Phil Sloggett":1doiagdg said:

Don't over think it.

he could easily have said it BUT he didnt. Thats the point.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Our Derek does the same sort of thing as well.

It certainly doesn't upset me.

I met the man yesterday and he has a lot of respect for our club and particularly our fans.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
IJN":1ehvxyi5 said:
Our Derek does the same sort of thing as well.

It certainly doesn't upset me.

I met the man yesterday and he has a lot of respect for our club and particularly our fans.

I'm sure He was interviewed for the job when Peter Reid got it i think, he can't think that little of the Likes of Plymouth

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Now it seems that he used the word "little" to describe Argyle. Chinese whispers and all that. And in only four pages too :facepalm:

Oct 14, 2015
Yet some of our fans say it about Exeter ....so managers say it and it's disrespectful but fans say it and it's banter....comments like that from opposing managers shouldn't be taken to seriously. In a way he's trying to deflect the flack his team are probably getting from their own fans.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

The thread title and thread in general is misleading.

It says, that Phil Brown said, "...teams like Plymouth."

However, he actually said, "...put teams away like Plymouth today."

Technically speaking, I'd argue there should be a comment between 'away' and 'like' and don't believe this is a disrespectful comment in any way, shape or form. He is saying that Southend should put teams away, and is using the game as an example of that.