Teams like Plymouth | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Teams like Plymouth

Nov 3, 2006
I think that alot of people in football, including managers, get confused between possession and chances they create and whether a team 'deserves' to win. The amount of times I've heard it since Sturrock is ridiculous. Pretty football does not win you matches in outside of the PL.

I would love someone to do a study on the successful teams vs 'we should have won type' comment in the future.

Mar 23, 2008
Lundan Cabbie":3k4gmf26 said:
Deacster":3k4gmf26 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3k4gmf26 said:
Positively Green":3k4gmf26 said:
I am not sure if I am allowed to ask this on here - but how did Crystal Palace get on today?

:scarf:

I'm not allowed to comment :whistle:
Not if you want to swim against the tide to be clever. It's obviously a patronising comment from a very average manager, who would make a better pub singer.

Although it was a more encouraging performance than last week. Don't forget, only 7 years ago we were in administration and went ten minutes past a deadline for going out of business. We must be grateful that we still have a club to support. :)

As for the Southend boss's comment, I think you are being too sensitive.
I think most people would be offended by patronising arrogance. Just because you chose not to see it, doesn't make it any less so. Would he have said that if the were playing Bradford for example? Anyway, a mute point as Brown is a clown who's arrogance cost him 2 home points

Apr 30, 2006
Not sure if the quote has been edited since this thread started, or his reaction expanded, but according to the quote at that link currently, he said :
"....I’m more frustrated now because we’ve not finished a team off.
We need to get that killer instinct about us and put teams away like Plymouth today.".
Especially in combination with the preceding context, I don't read this as a patronising comment on us at all, but about the need to put a game to bed if you go 1-0 up.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, the whole 'teams like x' is patronising and disrespectful even when people are referring to smaller clubs.

Even more weird when you're referring to a team from a city that's twice as big, with a club twice as big and a stadium (nearly) twice as big.

What percentage of Argyle's away attendance will Southend take to Home Park? 20%? 30%?

P

Positively Green

I think the "but this today should have been a high and I’m more frustrated now because we’ve not finished a team off" can be interpreted two ways:

He thought Argyle are a lesser side so it should be 3 points in the bag

OR

Southend got a lucky OG to be 1 up at home and then only got one point

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If Southend finished all there chances it could have been 4-0 at HT. But they didn't and do not regularly.

If they did they would be in the championship or better

Feb 23, 2008
Surely the 'today' at the end of the sentence changes it from being patronising to merely the fact that we happened to be the opponents today and that's how the game went?

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
These threads crack me up. We had them in the championship and league 1 last time, and everyone is up in arms when other clubs' players/managers say "teams like Plymouth".

Yet the same thing was all over this board when we were in league two. "Teams like Morecambe/Accrington/Newport etc."

We've just come up, so established teams expect to beat us. Rightly or, more likely, wrongly. They are wrong to say it, but the high horse brigade need to have a look at themselves.

Also, who cares. I'd rather teams underestimate us than not.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Lobster":3qijov1y said:
These threads crack me up. We had them in the championship and league 1 last time, and everyone is up in arms when other clubs' players/managers say "teams like Plymouth".

Yet the same thing was all over this board when we were in league two. "Teams like Morecambe/Accrington/Newport etc."

We've just come up, so established teams expect to beat us. Rightly or, more likely, wrongly. They are wrong to say it, but the high horse brigade need to have a look at themselves.

Also, who cares. I'd rather teams underestimate us than not.
This

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
We could win the Champions League three years running and would still be 'teams like Plymouth'. Does anyone still think Leicester are a top club?

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
Anything a manager says post-match is strictly for home consumption and therefore not to be taken seriously by anyone other than his own fans.

Apr 29, 2016
The quote doesn't say "teams like Plymouth" it says put teams away like Plymouth today. I.e put teams away like he believed he had dominated today. I don't read it disrespectfully at all.