Rotherham match day thread | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rotherham match day thread

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Knibbsworth":11qzw7lh said:
Last ten league games:
4 wins
4 draws
2 losses

Bigger picture, that's decent.

Last 5 all comps (including against league two opposition)

1 win
1 draw
3 losses.

Not so decent and more relevant as the last 5 regardless.

Aug 5, 2016
Ade the green":34hzw0ej said:
Knibbsworth":34hzw0ej said:
Last ten league games:
4 wins
4 draws
2 losses

1 win
1 draw
3 losses.

You keep emphasising the negatives as usual, DA and the players will keep scrapping for the points that keep us up.

A point away at Rotherham is decent, three would have been tremendous, but as VOR said we are not the first team to fail to beat a team with 10 men. They didn't have their man sent off whilst conceding a penalty after 14 minutes which was the hand Oxford were dealt. Much different prospect to Argyle as the underdogs having to break down ten men at their place, without a spot kick to get the job started with. Shame that 4-0 didn't happen but it was different circumstances.

In terms of looking at where the points are coming from to stay up, a point away at Rotherham is decent. Horrible to spill two points but would have taken a point before. In our position, an away draw is decent anywhere let alone against a top half team in Yorkshire.

Mar 14, 2009
Just seen their equaliser.

To say we were slow to react is an understatement. When the ball breaks first time there are two or three Argyle players who are just static. We then panic. Have a chance to clear it. Another shot is had. Blocked. Yet again first to react is their player. And he is a CB.

I'm afraid we see this so many times in our defending that actually when you watch it your not mad, or angry anymore (which you should be as a fan) but actually just shrug your shoulders because you know it will happen time and time again.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":27mvuh1b said:
Ade the green":27mvuh1b said:
Knibbsworth":27mvuh1b said:
Last ten league games:
4 wins
4 draws
2 losses

1 win
1 draw
3 losses.

You keep emphasising the negatives as usual, DA and the players will keep scrapping for the points that keep us up.

A point away at Rotherham is decent, three would have been tremendous, but as VOR said we are not the first team to fail to beat a team with 10 men. They didn't have their man sent off whilst conceding a penalty after 14 minutes which was the hand Oxford were dealt. Much different prospect to Argyle as the underdogs having to break down ten men at their place, without a spot kick to get the job started with. Shame that 4-0 didn't happen but it was different circumstances.

In terms of looking at where the points are coming from to stay up, a point away at Rotherham is decent. Horrible to spill two points but would have taken a point before. In our position, an away draw is decent anywhere let alone against a top half team in Yorkshire.

To be fair to Ade you fail to mention the Blackpool game at HP. 1-1. Man sent off after 65 mins (Edwards) and unlike Rotherham who make a game of it we capitulate and lose 1-3. We didn't have to chase the game then. Plus there was only 25 mins left (15 mins less than Rotherham today) where we needed to hold out to get something from the game. In the end took then just 5 mins more to capitalise on their 1 man advantage.

Apr 5, 2008
Hope those who backed Argyle to win cashed out,or traded out after Argyle scored,because you know Argyle just have it in them this season to throw away one goal leads.How many times is that this season now,going cost us big time I think come end of season :facepalm:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":1voubmkm said:

I think that's a valid point about the Oxford match. Cris Errington made the point on the radio commentary today that with us set up to break on the counter, the red card would stop them from coming at us and that would negate the tactics of the counter attack. He was right and Adams made some attacking substitutions which got us the goal but probably cost us the equaliser. It sounded like Jervis and Grant were ineffective today but they have both been good at defending set pieces so keeping them on would have probably given us a 0-0 draw.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I don't understand why Songo'o has suddenly fallen out of favour.
He was doing a great job and on course to be in the top three for player of the season, he was either partnering Bradley at centre-back or playing as a deep midfielder but has been dropped from the starting 11 for the last two games.

In effect, his place in midfield has been taken by Carey with Fox playing deep, this happened after the return of Taylor.

Grant is scoring the occasional goal but does not produce a 90 minute performance, so Carey playing on the left instead of Grant and Songo'o into midfield might be worth trying.

I also think Songo'o and Bradley are a better centre back partnership than Edwards and Bradley.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Knibbsworth":6if673vv said:
Ade the green":6if673vv said:
Knibbsworth":6if673vv said:
Last ten league games:
4 wins
4 draws
2 losses

1 win
1 draw
3 losses.

I’ve not said anything about the game today which I had already expressed my joy of being 0-1 up (guess what happened?).

I was merely commenting on your arbitrary meanderings about form (as usual). Whether as you said, 10 League games or I said 5 games is immaterial when it comes to the next 5-10-20 games and we can just as easily revert to the 10 games when we couldn’t buy a goal (it seemed). Right now, the team had been sounding more effective now that Ryan Taylor has returned ( last 2 games.... 1 win, 1 draw, unbeatable) but that is papering over the cracks that something is still not right. Let’s blame the players, let’s blame DA, let’s even blame the fickle finger of fate but something is not right.

If, against 10 men for however long we still managed to be camped inside our own 12 yard box for any amount of time we didn’t deserve to win and how many times do we read that we are the worst team that has played elsewhere when we already know just how monotonous and boring we are to watch.

I was genuinely excited to see we had gone in front today and I genuinely feel that we need to cling to Taylor like a drowning man to a life belt, wrap him in cotton wool because without him we stand a lot smaller chance of survival.

It’s still you and your ilk that think that we’ll be okay without any need for change. Write one sentence that means you are even 1% worried about relegation because as yet you are the ostrich burying your head in the sand.

Jul 12, 2016
I said earlier in the post how sorry I felt for Songo'o. He always gives 100% and puts his body on the line.IMO Bradley and Edwards are too similar.The biggest difference in league 1 is the faster pace of the opposition.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":39dpv191 said:
He was doing a great job and on course to be in the top three for player of the season, he was either partnering Bradley at centre-back or playing as a deep midfielder but has been dropped from the starting 11 for the last two games.

In effect, his place in midfield has been taken by Carey with Fox playing deep, this happened after the return of Taylor.

Grant is scoring the occasional goal but does not produce a 90 minute performance, so Carey playing on the left instead of Grant and Songo'o into midfield might be worth trying.

I also think Songo'o and Bradley are a better centre back partnership than Edwards and Bradley.

Me too. Think SB and RE are almost identical CB’s.

SB and Songo’o have the mix to deal with different threats better.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Tugboat":3e3y516m said:
PL2 3DQ":3e3y516m said:

Me too. Think SB and RE are almost identical CB’s.

SB and Songo’o have the mix to deal with different threats better.

Last season Songo'o was often picked out as our defensive weak link at least on here. He also found his place under threat by Sokolik's arrival. However when he regained his place this season, his form has been excellent. At Wigan he was truly outstanding. I haven't been massively impressed by Edwards this season and agree that his partnership with Bradley doesn't seem as natural as Songo'o and Bradley.

As for Sokolik - hard to know why he has fallen so far put of favour after playing the majority of games after his arrival in January last season.

After last week's criticism of the introduction of Songo'o as a defensive move, think today with the game entering added time Songo'o for Taylor may have been seen as an understandable option to see the game out.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3798wk1e said:
Ade the green":3798wk1e said:
Knibbsworth":3798wk1e said:
Last ten league games:
4 wins
4 draws
2 losses

1 win
1 draw
3 losses.

If we had drawn 0 - 0 against the 10 men, I could tolerate it, failing to break down a team sitting back with 10 is pretty commonish. The fact that they were still pushing more than us bar the one spell we scored where we played well, the fact we allowed them chances to score and conceded against them is not acceptable. 1 - 0 vs 10 men with 8 minutes left should always be 3 points. You have to go all the way back to when we beat Exeter for when we got a point or more with 10 men...Yet we should accept it when it's the other way around? I hope I never get so apathetic about my team as to accept a result like that.

& Whether the stats are negative or not...He's right. Last results are 1 draw, 1 win, 3 Losses. It's okay for others to throw stats to remind us how good we are now, so why can't Ade show stats too?

Apr 5, 2008
If we are going to survive it’s going to go to the last kick of the season,which is better than where we were a couple of months ago.

Lots of team involved in the relegation dogfight now.

Just so frustrating we can’t hold on to one goal leads,hoping it doesn’t cost us.

E

Electronic

moles40":2whuopf3 said:
Hope those who backed Argyle to win cashed out,or traded out after Argyle scored,because you know Argyle just have it in them this season to throw away one goal leads.How many times is that this season now,going cost us big time I think come end of season :facepalm:

Cashed out on the draw and then on the win too. Lucky in that sense but would rather the 3 points.

Feels like we’ll have enough to get what we need. Our league form is good and if we keep it going, we’ll comfortably survive.