Reuben - to Pompey (Cook - "No deal") | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reuben - to Pompey (Cook - "No deal")

Mar 21, 2008
I'd normally completely dismiss rumours of this kind but the insider knowledge and reliability of some of the posters talking about this suggests that there's definitely something in it unfortunately

Aug 22, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":jy982bao said:
Cobi Budge.":jy982bao said:
@rumours231: Hearing Leyton Orient are trying to sign Reuben Reid from Plymouth if Jobi mcanuff leaves #lofc

@TransferCentre9: Peterborough United are set to make a £500k bid for Reuben Reid of Plymouth Argyle

@southender78: Southend in talks with Reuben Reid

Not just Pompey by the looks of it. Make of these tweets what you will. I don't think he'll go & it's probably all nonsense but let's hope that if he does, we have enough time to replace him.

Have you not learned that Twitter is full of people with nothing better to do than make themselves feel slightly more important than their actual social standing.

Thanks to 24 hour sports news we need speculation to fill social media. However, at the same time the rise of the internet troll has taken to the same social media meaning most of what you read will always be BS. Take that tweet regarding Peterborough. Reid is in the last year of his contract and there is no way you would get that type of money for him. Look what we got for Houlrane with 1 year left going to a league one outfit.

Agree Rob.

The Peterborough bid is the only thing that interests me here and should be the only thing that interests the club. If true (prob not) the price is actually in footballing terms very reasonable. I'ts over the top but most clubs play the game, we haven't been in a position to for a very long time. Metal we need to learn from our mistakes, Hourihane (who had a decent game against Everton last night) should be seen as the end of selling players for small amounts of cash. Selling Reid to Portsmouth for example would be a kick in the teeth as they are a rival club plus i'm sure they wouldn't pay anywhere near 500k for him, although of course they can afford to BUT more than likely they will lure him away with wages of 5-6k a week (they have at least one player on that apparently.) Ultimately if we have no one lined up and a club from our league come in for him then I see it as pointless business UNLESS it's reasonable money, otherwise what's the point of selling him? What happens if Jervis gets injured? IF a club from a higher league comes in for him then it's a different story. You wouldn't really deny Reid that chance but again hopefully he doesn't leave for next to nothing and we don't have anyone lined up.

The only small positive is the fact that Derek Adams seems to have a good eye for a player. If we get lets say 350k for Reid and 200k can go towards new players (which will open up money for wages) then you'd have thought DA could get someone decent in, but that's if they are available, time is running out, so possibly use the money for a top loanie? I'd trust Derek to make the final decision - lets see his take on the situation.

C

Cobi Budge.

I agree. Trust Derek to handle the situation in the best way possible.

Reuben is a good player but 500k would be very reasonable, in fact very generous, even if only half of that went on signing a new striker then we could get someone decent in, whether it be on loan or a permanent signing. If the Peterborough rumour is true then there's another positive, I doubt 500k would have been a starting offer, to me it perhaps shows the club have turned down 6 figure offers for RR, which we didn't expect, will be hard for the club to turn down 500k though.

That said, I still don't think he'll go.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
£500k up front would not be turned down. The important thing is to get the financial add on's included.

I think that would allow us to maybe obtain a higher caliber player loan replacement.

Apr 1, 2009
Any fee we receive is presumably unbudgeted income, and thus I imagine half of what was received would be allocated to historic debts. Is the club's priority to pay the debt off, or to build a team? That question presumably influences whether you sell your star striker.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
For me there's two ways of looking at this situation....

1) from the footballing side of things I'm not so sure Reid has fitted into the new style of play unless he has a strike partner with him. Apart from his goal against Carlisle when the ball hit him to go into the net I can't remember too many goal scoring chances for him in the four league games I've seen.
Goals are now coming from throughout the team and the team coped very well without him against Northampton with Brunt playing well in Reid's position.

2) from a PR side of things selling Reid to a promotion rival will be a disaster and send a message to the fans that the club is lacking ambition and purpose.
Adams may get a slice of any transfer money to bring in another striker but the transfer window closes in just six days so not much time to find a suitable replacement, besides where do you find a proven League Two striker who has scored 41 goals in two seasons?
Would Adams be able to find a good striker in the loan market when that window opens in September?

We don't know what Reid would like to do and if he does want to leave he would have to submit a transfer request which would leave the club in the difficult position of not wanting to keep a player who's head is elsewhere and reluctantly allow Pompey to talk to Reid.

Overall, if this rumour is true I think we should try to keep Reid, offer him a new contract and give him time to fit in with the new style of play used by Adams.

Aug 19, 2009
Personally I would say that Portsmouth have enough and also the strikers that they wish to have on their books. Therefore, I would say that it is highly unlikely that a bid from Pompey would come in for him before the transfer deadline.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Rob_GT4":mx4rphss said:
I'd normally completely dismiss rumours of this kind but the insider knowledge and reliability of some of the posters talking about this suggests that there's definitely something in it unfortunately

Who? Pottypilgrim and Edmunds200 are the only ones who have said anything? Are they in the know? Maybe I'm doing them a disservice, I don't know.

I just can't see it. Purely in PR terms, it would be a disaster. No, he's not been incredible this season, but it's a new system, he's recovering from an injury and his class will eventually tell over a season. We simply can't sell our best striker (and only experienced quality one beside Jervis) if we are legitimate promotion contenders.

Mar 21, 2008
Biggs":299hqvx4 said:
Rob_GT4":299hqvx4 said:

Who? Pottypilgrim and Edmunds200 are the only ones who have said anything? Are they in the know? Maybe I'm doing them a disservice, I don't know.

I just can't see it. Purely in PR terms, it would be a disaster. No, he's not been incredible this season, but it's a new system, he's recovering from an injury and his class will eventually tell over a season. We simply can't sell our best striker (and only experienced quality one beside Jervis) if we are legitimate promotion contenders.

Yep, I hope he doesn't mind me saying but have a look at Edmunds200's previous posts Biggs

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
I remember when we signed Krisztián Timár for around that figure.

Although it would most likely be a like for like replacement i would still keep hold of reid as i think we will come good again.

Jul 3, 2013
Let's not forget that Reid attracts a lot more attention from defenders which will free up space and attacking optoons elsewhere on the pitch. If he goes then it will be nothing short of a disaster to our season.

Jan 7, 2013
Disappointing yes disaster no, if we had lost him this time a year ago I would have classed it as a disaster, I feel we are in a much better position to cope without him with our new signings! As others have said our team has much more in the way of attacking options now so not solely reliant on Reuben.
Obviously I don't want him to go but I don't think we would miss him as much as some may think and our season certainly wouldn't be over.. Half a million would seriously need to be considered. I guess we will find out on Saturday when the team sheets are released.