"Proper" Argyle Green!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"Proper" Argyle Green!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Andy Holland":2xxa9tnm said:
Delighted we've stuck with the green that represents the most successful period in our history, and that the forum moaners haven't had their way.

Argyle green > Hibs green :wave:

You could also say it also represents THE most disastrous period in our history as well.

I'm not moaning, simply saying this blue/green we now play in, isn't 'Argyle green' it's 'Branded Argyle Green'. Old school me. :twisted:

Feb 8, 2005
Dreamgreen":3urleava said:
I worked in the Commercial Department under Bill Pearce in the late 70's. I asked Bill about the pantone for a particular poster we were doing. He replied "what is a pantone ?". When I gave him the answer he said "Green !".

So there wasn't an Argyle green then and there appears not to be one now either.

Excellent deduction.

All this fuss about the colour green, green is green, no matter what shade it is.

I've seen Argyle play in all shades of green and whatever the shade of green they are playing in, it will be known as "Argyle Green", because green is Argyle, regardless of the shade.

What a fuss about nothing.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy Holland":wiq8rdlb said:
Delighted we've stuck with the green that represents the most successful period in our history, and that the forum moaners haven't had their way.

I'd rather a green that represents Plymouth Argyle in the best way possible, rather than one we played in for seven years of very relative success. We loved the success, not the shirts.

And as Ian says, I now associate the darker green with the darker days that followed.

Brighter green for a brighter future. Makes complete sense.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And yes, as stated above, the fact that there's so much debate on what proper Argyle green is means one thing. That there IS no proper Argyle green. In a way that's quite nice, because different shades means different things to different people.

So... why not go with one that just bleddy looks the best? Even the current shade defenders would struggle to say it looks better than the lighter, bolder shirts that Palmeiras, St Etienne et al play in?

You'd be amazed at the effect a great colour can have in attracting fans, I know plenty of people (including myself) who have bought shirts from the above teams because a bold green is such a unique and attractive colour. No-one is sitting at home looking at this year's new shirts and thinking 'I really love that dull shade of mud green Plymouth have'.

It's time to be GREEN again, surely.

Jul 29, 2010
I'd just like consistency.

Firstly if we start flitting from one to the other it would make our identity look muddled.

Secondly changing one part of Argyle (albeit an important one), the shirt, without changing all the other ways the current green is used (ground livery especially) would look a total mess.

Ian you especially dislike the word branding. I suspect it stems from the pitchfork reactionary in you, "them bleddy directors that came in from that there Lon Don with their imposed newfangled marketing ways, grrrr" :furious:

But substitute the word branding to 'identity' and you separate the process from the reactionary instinct. I doubt rebranding the word branding will convince you ian, but there is a logic to the outcome even if you rile against the process.

Having a consistent look, a standardised and clear identity not only looks tidy but gives a recognisable consistency to our identity.

I've always thought the darker green looks classier, more professional but I accept others feel differently. What needs to happen if we do ever change though is to address both my original observations. Firstly if we change we need to put a minimum decade or two during which we are bound to stick to it. Secondly if we ever change we need to change everything at once, shirts, merchandise, stadium paint, stationary and website etc.

Given the expense and hassle involved, allied to the split opinion of the fan base (and those who've known no different will only grow as the post 2001 generation gets bigger) you frankly could conclude, why bother?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I like the green we have now X'y, but A) It's not our green and B) It's too bleddy dark to play on a football pitch.

Then again, all I really care about is results on the pitch and the way the play the game.

This is merely a summer aside.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":3bn1tcay said:
Secondly if we ever change we need to change everything at once, shirts, merchandise, stadium paint, stationary and website etc.

I get your point about overall branding, but I don't think it's that big a deal. What are the two biggest things fans and TV viewers see? The stadium interior and the shirts. Well, the stadium seats are already lighter green even before fading, so that's already sorted.

Those other things you mention are SO easy to change, we see them every season anyway. Pretty much everything Argyle related (website, tickets, merchandise) was last season re-branded with the retro away shirt band, and I assume we'll see another theme this time around.

I really think this will be one of those things that once Argyle grasp the nettle and it finally just happens...everyone will see that it looks so much better and we were right to change. At the moment it seems like we're muddling on with a colour no-one really likes or wants deep down.

Jul 29, 2010
But it is a perennial 'summer aside' Ian. We only get about 70 summers on this earth and yours and mine are dropping in number rapidly.

pee or get off the potty springs to mind, or we'll be kicking this hoary old chestnut around until they put the lid down on us.

I say stick with what has become our recognisable identity, you say rip everything up and start again, t'was ever thus.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oh well let's see what the away (new) green is like. Perhaps all the 'bugger tradition' tribe will sign into the new one!!

Jul 29, 2010
Biggs":10fl14of said:
At the moment it seems like we're muddling on with a colour no-one really likes or wants deep down.
At the moment the club has just been promoted, after what is it now, five years of on field improvement. Something seems to be happening at last with the ground and only a proper misery guts would argue we're not moving forwards, slowly but progress nonetheless.

This issue is not a millstone around the club's neck, it really is a niche issue to a very niche section of the fan base. It isn't a problem for the club itself, as perhaps alluded to by Mr. Starnes 'eye roll' when Ian asked the question at the PASCA meeting recently.

As for "no-one really likes or wants", well I do, others on this thread do too, opinion polls have also consistency shown that in no way, shape or form can it be said that no-one likes the current darker green.

Unless you've canvassed everyone, yielding 100% support for a change to emerald green, that statement is completely bogus.

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":4uzcup9p said:
Oh well let's see what the away (new) green is like. Perhaps all the 'bugger tradition' tribe will sign into the new one!!
I'll take lime green, mint green, snot green, stagnant pond green, gangrene, Eva Green, Huey Green or Kermit green over tangerine, blue, yellow or 'kin lilac every day of the week.

They are greens, the others are not.

Feb 8, 2005
X Isle":lge9233k said:
IJN":lge9233k said:
I'll take lime green, mint green, snot green, stagnant pond green, gangrene, Eva Green, Huey Green or Kermit green over tangerine, blue, yellow or 'kin lilac every day of the week.

Likewise.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":2f4bppmf said:
As for "no-one really likes or wants", well I do, others on this thread do too, opinion polls have also consistency shown that in no way, shape or form can it be said that no-one likes the current darker green.

Unless you've canvassed everyone, yielding 100% support for a change to emerald green, that statement is completely bogus.

OK that was clumsy, let me rephrase.

I've yet to meet a single person - Argyle fan or otherwise - that prefers the dark green to brighter and bolder. I've worn Palmeiras and Germany away shirts playing football and often been asked the question by people who know I support Argyle 'why don't Plymouth play in that colour?'

Secondly, even the people on here that defend the present shade, all seem to do so because it's part of our recent identity and branding. Perhaps they associate it with the early 2000s period of success.

In real life and Pasoti, I've yet to see anyone say they actually like the colour in and of itself. Perhaps you came closest when you said it looked classy. Perhaps it does with a very simple design, but you can't have that every year and it's starting to get a bit ridiculous when the club and its manager is actively trying to minimise the dark green because it's too dark.

Brighter and bolder green for a brighter and bolder future, surely makes complete sense.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
X Isle":3n1j9gt0 said:
IJN":3n1j9gt0 said:

Saying that................. :silent:

X Isle":3n1j9gt0 said:
IJN":3n1j9gt0 said:
Cobi Budge":3n1j9gt0 said:
My favourite kit in recent years was actually the one we had to put together about a week before the start of the season in 2011/12.

Smart, simple, and the right shade of green.

Plymouth-Argyle-Away-Kit-11-12.jpg

Jesus!! That green was actually worse than the colour we now play in Cobi. :facepalm:

In a rare showing of complete solidarity here, damn right.

That green was neither Arthur nor Martha :thumbdown:

What was that about 'consistency'? :twisted: