one of the worst substitutions | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

one of the worst substitutions

Oct 31, 2015
Pottypilgrim":jl02nmv8 said:
Was an absolutely astounding decision which ultimately lost us the 2 points. To me this is a sign of how much Adams is starting to panic. We were managing Shrewsbury very well. They sacrificed a midfielder for a forward; Adams counters by bringing on a defender for a forward. The guy is panicking. He should have increased our numbers in midfield and instructed the midfield to press their midfield. Get their heads down looking at the ball rather than giving them as much time as they needed to get their heads up and pick a pass/take a shot. His set up/substitution with nigh on 25 mins still to go was an abysmal decision. Quite shocking really and as I said earlier stinking of panic.

Well said that man. I have read some on here defending the decision. WTF!!!!! With 5 minutes to go I get it but a quarter of the match to play was pathetic and so negative.

We should have pushed onto their midfield and defense instead of sitting deep as we did. I remember with 3 x cbs on the field one of their players had a free header and he should have done better but I sat their thinking how with 3 x cbs on how did he find that room. Not only was the sub so negative it upset the balance of the team. I am Green through and through and even a tint but DA is by far the worst manager we have had who has got promotion (well at least his tactics). I know he will be staying as JB is not that sort of chairman but we are going down with him at the helm.

Its no coincidence that everyone we have played so far have said the following:-

1 most defensive team they have seen in years

Or

2. Worst team in the keague by a country mile.

This is not due to being unlucky or the injuries or the calibre of summer signings. Its down to the tactics!!!!!!!!

Oct 24, 2010
It really was a very, very poor decision by Adams.It's hard to understand because at that point we were well on top, had just scored a stunning goal (proof of the old saying "form is temporary, class is permanent") and Shrewsbury although they had had plenty of the play had barely laid a glove on us. The answer to them going with two strikers was to push up the pitch, control midfield and take the game to Shrewsbury and isolate their strikers. We would in all probability have seen the game out comfortably and maybe got the second goal, instead we sat deep with a back five and handed the intuitive to them and eventually paid the price.I'm an Adams supporter but he panicked yesterday and got it very wrong.

Oct 24, 2010
rsp4":7tya20dp said:
Pottypilgrim":7tya20dp said:
Was an absolutely astounding decision which ultimately lost us the 2 points. To me this is a sign of how much Adams is starting to panic. We were managing Shrewsbury very well. They sacrificed a midfielder for a forward; Adams counters by bringing on a defender for a forward. The guy is panicking. He should have increased our numbers in midfield and instructed the midfield to press their midfield. Get their heads down looking at the ball rather than giving them as much time as they needed to get their heads up and pick a pass/take a shot. His set up/substitution with nigh on 25 mins still to go was an abysmal decision. Quite shocking really and as I said earlier stinking of panic.

Well said that man. I have read some on here defending the decision. WTF!!!!! With 5 minutes to go I get it but a quarter of the match to play was pathetic and so negative.

We should have pushed onto their midfield and defense instead of sitting deep as we did. I remember with 3 x cbs on the field one of their players had a free header and he should have done better but I sat their thinking how with 3 x cbs on how did he find that room. Not only was the sub so negative it upset the balance of the team. I am Green through and through and even a tint but DA is by far the worst manager we have had who has got promotion (well at least his tactics). I know he will be staying as JB is not that sort of chairman but we are going down with him at the helm.

Its no coincidence that everyone we have played so far have said the following:-

1 most defensive team they have seen in years

Or

2. Worst team in the keague by a country mile.

This is not due to being unlucky or the injuries or the calibre of summer signings. Its down to the tactics!!!!!!!!
Adams' tactics for seventy minutes were spot on. It was an even game but we were stronger defensively and more dangerous going forward than Srewsbury. We were excellent and it was very encouraging for the future. He let himself down badly and undid all the good work by the substitution.

Mar 1, 2008
It was the most cowardly tactical change I've ever seen from an Argyle manager.

5-4-1 at home against Shrewsbury. Pathetic.

Accusations of knee-jerking surrender monkeys should be aimed at him not the fans.

Apr 9, 2011
Am afraid Adams "tactics" are going to lead us to sleep walk to lge2. He is rapidly turning into Sheridan mk 2. So really hope I am proved wrong but can see us relegated by Christmas if he stays

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I trust that Brent, as mildly spoken as he is, is first and foremost a business man who hasn’t got where he is today by luck. By that I mean he’s made tough, difficult and unfavourable decisions in his time to help right a wrong.

Argyle is no different and right now Adams is a wrong.

Apr 5, 2008
How is it everyone else can see his tactics in this league are not working,but Adams himself can't :facepalm:

Oct 24, 2010
Shrewsbury play an identical system to us and they are unbeaten at the top of the league.

Oct 31, 2015
esmer":3rwbn54d said:
Shrewsbury play an identical system to us and they are unbeaten at the top of the league.

Same formation. Different tactics

Jul 29, 2010
Maybe I should just avoid all Argyle message boards full stop at the moment. I expect it 'elsewhere' but virtually every thread here too just seems to be looking for any and every way to cast absolutely anything as negative, as a stick to beat someone with.

I've tried to bite my lip on this one (or should that be bite my fingers as i'm typing :think: ) but I can't. I appreciate the irony as i'm occasionally accused of being *MR* Righteous Indignation myself, but some of the posts on this thread are simply ridiculously high horsed, so high the riders must surely struggle to even see the ground beneath them.

At any club, at any level, a perfectly legitimate option when going ahead and having a lead to defend, ESPECIALLY when it's top v bottom is to park the bus. Bringing on a defender for an attacker is just part of that. It wasn't a massively left field decision, it is perfectly normal for any manager to do such a thing if circumstances dictate.

To read some of the astonished words typed on this thread though you'd think we'd substituted the goalkeeper for a second left winger or something. It's as if the concept of defending what you've got is now somehow alien to some posters.

It didn't work, clearly. But who is to say that by NOT making that decision Shrewsbury wouldn't have come at us just as strongly and got two or more for want of that extra body in defence?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but when the general underlying mood music of the pitchfork wielding mob right now is to look for fault first and consider objectivity and practicality later never, you're only ever going to find fault.

I can tell you several FAR worse substitutions...

Any and every time Paul 'kin Mariner brought on Kenny 'kin Cooper for a late cameo impression of an especially immobile Ent from Lond of the Rings.

Every time Mick Jones brought on either of the dwarfs Padi Wilson or Earl Jean and then 'went long' to chase a game :facepalm:

Every time Tony Pulis brought on Anthony Pulis last knockings when we were winning just so sonny-boy could pick up a win bonus (same nepotism but at least 'Oooh Ahh Sturrock Junior' coming on to hold the ball in the corner had a legitimate tactical point).

They were all diabolical, nonsensical substitutions that defeated the object of trying to get something from a game. Yesterday was just a legitimate and widely used tactical option that didn't happen to work, more often than not it would've.

Get a ferkin grip guys, the Green Army is losing the plot at the moment. It's like everyone has collectively decided that if something paints the manager, or a player, or the board, or the club in a bad light then 'game on'. Common sense, logic and objectivity can take a flying jump.

As a collective, we must surely be better than this. This mentality at the moment is awful.

Never mind the bollox, we got a point against the league leaders that not one of us thought we would. THAT'S a positive, let's take it and move on.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh please, the opinions expressed in this thread have not been conjured up from a fit of pique or an irrational dislike of the man. The shortcomings highlighted have been plain to see both last season and even more so now. Shutting up shop with 25 minutes to play against a team we had been comfortably matching in all areas was expected (because it's what he did all last season) but not the right decision in this game. Of course there have been worse substitutions, but what does that prove?

Results over the next few games will tell their own story. We have no choice but to wait and see.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
X Isle":389wuz62 said:
Maybe I should just avoid all Argyle message boards full stop at the moment. I expect it 'elsewhere' but virtually every thread here too just seems to be looking for any and every way to cast absolutely anything as negative, as a stick to beat someone with.

I've tried to bite my lip on this one (or should that be bite my fingers as i'm typing :think: ) but I can't. I appreciate the irony as i'm occasionally accused of being *MR* Righteous Indignation myself, but some of the posts on this thread are simply ridiculously high horsed, so high the riders must surely struggle to even see the ground beneath them.

At any club, at any level, a perfectly legitimate option when going ahead and having a lead to defend, ESPECIALLY when it's top v bottom is to park the bus. Bringing on a defender for an attacker is just part of that. It wasn't a massively left field decision, it is perfectly normal for any manager to do such a thing if circumstances dictate.

To read some of the astonished words typed on this thread though you'd think we'd substituted the goalkeeper for a second left winger or something. It's as if the concept of defending what you've got is now somehow alien to some posters.

It didn't work, clearly. But who is to say that by NOT making that decision Shrewsbury wouldn't have come at us just as strongly and got two or more for want of that extra body in defence?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but when the general underlying mood music of the pitchfork wielding mob right now is to look for fault first and consider objectivity and practicality later never, you're only ever going to find fault.

Any and every time Paul 'kin Mariner brought on Kenny 'kin Cooper for a late cameo impression of an especially immobile Ent from Lond of the Rings.

Every time Mick Jones brought on either of the dwarfs Padi Wilson or Earl Jean and then 'went long' to chase a game :facepalm:

Every time Tony Pulis brought on Anthony Pulis last knockings when we were winning just so sonny-boy could pick up a win bonus (same nepotism but at least 'Oooh Ahh Sturrock Junior' coming on to hold the ball in the corner had a legitimate tactical point).

They were all diabolical, nonsensical substitutions that defeated the object of trying to get something from a game. Yesterday was just a legitimate and widely used tactical option that didn't happen to work, more often than not it would've.

Get a ferkin grip guys, the Green Army is losing the plot at the moment. It's like everyone has collectively decided that if something paints the manager, or a player, or the board, or the club in a bad light then 'game on'. Common sense, logic and objectivity can take a flying jump.

As a collective, we must surely be better than this. This mentality at the moment is awful.

Never mind the bollox, we got a point against the league leaders that not one of us thought we would. THAT'S a positive, let's take it and move on.

As others have said it was a valid decision but not with 25 minutes to go when we actually had confidence.

Up to that point I was enjoying the game. I don't care who made that decision Adams or Patrick after a "coffee". It was awful.

The rest of the game was a vast improvement and there were positives as everyone has said.

It was the stand out moment of the game so people will talk about.

Jul 6, 2009
X Isle":2oy7tu7u said:

Were you at the game? Did you not see the shift in momentum the substitution created? Adams made a bad decision that almost certainly cost us the win, and as we have only won once in the league this season I can understand why so many have an opinion on it.

Sep 2, 2008
X Isle":3mtc2qy4 said:

My comment wasn’t borne out of ‘hindsight’. As soon as I saw the subs board go up I was saying to anyone that wanted to listen ‘wtf is he doing!??’ Many of those around me agreed. How do so many people that professional managers/coaches sneer at because they aren’t in the game, know that what he did was suicidal in terms of losing the game when the ‘professionals’ couldn’t see it. For me, yesterday’s monumental flock up seriously brings into question his suitability for the job in League one.

Aug 5, 2016
evil_dave86":19bmzxqp said:
It was the most cowardly tactical change I've ever seen from an Argyle manager.

5-4-1 at home against Shrewsbury. Pathetic.

League leaders Shrewsbury who literally had six times as many points as us?

You make it sound like WE were top and they were bottom.