one of the worst substitutions | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

one of the worst substitutions

Mar 10, 2007
Appreciate all the comments about it being understandable to try and defend a lead etc.

I am not in the Adams out camp (yet), he has my support and I actually believe he will turn it around.

That said... even without the benefit of hindsight, it was an awful substitution. We had the impetus and although we were under pressure, they did not look like getting a breakthrough. The system was working. Fletcher had run out of steam and Blissett could have given us an out (which is what we needed) - there was far more chance of a long ball sticking to him than Fletcher at that point. The stadium was full of belief and optimism - at Home Park!! - The passion the players and the fans showed after Carey's goal was inspiring. We should have run with that belief.

Confidence and belief is a habit. The substitution said to the team, the opposition and the crowd "We are not good enough to go and score another, we do not deserve to be winning this game". The atmosphere changed immediately, the crowd became tense, that transferred to the players and it was only a matter of time before the equaliser went in.

When we went 2 upfront after they scored, we looked more likely to get the winner than they did. He should have shown more faith in the team to go out and get another. That win would have put so much more belief back in the club. We absolutely deserved to be leading up until the substitution and (I believe) could have gone on to score more.

I'm not angry with you Derek, I'm just disappointed...

Jul 29, 2010
Ave_IT":7zkyxkpk said:
X-Isle ā€“ I will take issue with you on one thing. The GA isnā€™t ā€œlosing the plotā€. For a team at the bottom of the league on such a bad run of recent results I thought the support was outstanding and responded to the teamā€™s effort. At the end of the game the players (rightly) got a warm ovation from all sides of the ground and as I made my way down the steps I was happy to join in the cries of ā€œAR-GY-LEā€ ringing around the ground. Donā€™t confuse the PASOTI echo-chamber of usual miserable sods with the bulk of normal supporters. There was a real feeling of positivity after the game.
A fair point, made well and accepted.

Jul 17, 2011
it would have been the right decision in any other game.....HOWEVER.... shrewsbury kept dropping in front of the defenders and the gap between ATM & Defensive midfielders was huge...it was obvious sat watching from the grandstand that we needed another body in midfield....

a good point but can't help feel that DA will only have himself to blame for this one. granted it was a lose lose situation for him, but he bottled it.