Nathan Blisset | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Nathan Blisset

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Makes I larf this site, for the past few years we have people bereating the manager for not giving players a decent run of games to see if they can improve/ form a better understanding with team mates , yet here we are 2 games in and already stating he's not good enough. Let's look at last year & how Brunt improved after a run of games. Let's give him a chance before writing him off.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
he worked tirelessly and i am sure he is "big" enough to look at his contribution and see that he can and will improve.let's remember he has come from a fifth division team and is now playing two divisions higher.i would play him against chelsea.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Blisset is what managers often refer to as a rough diamond. He isn't someone who naturally spots a pass or a run, he doesn't have the natural footballing brain of a Carey or in his position Trigger. He's not often totally aware of whats around and sadly it will be impossible for that to suddenly grow.
What he does have is physical attributes and a willingness to chase and work for his team-mates. So i'm sure DA see's him as not the perfect fit for what we need but right now he's all we have, therefore we need to get the best out of him.
He tends to be looking for the ball over the top - that probably comes from playing upfront as a two rather than the Adams way. If he has spent his entire footballing life playing alongside someone, it must be exceptionally tough to play a role where you need to come short or hold the ball up. But he's learning, looks willing to learn and give his all - for that alone he should be given our support and every chance to succeed.
His success as a sub last year was when we were chasing games and played two upfront - so it shouldn't surprise anyone that playing as a lone striker he's easy for him.

Jan 31, 2006
Young player, still learning. He is not perfect. Which player is? Count on him to win some games for us with his ability to hold off defenses and lay on passes for others to score.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Think he'd be very good next to someone because he's an expert at flick ons, but in our system most of the flick ons just go toward unoccupied space.

We need a player who can both hold the ball up & has a real eye for goal. Reid, Brunt & Matt all suited the role & I trust Adams to find another player to fit, in fact, I'd take Jamille Matt back.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":168yyyor said:
Think he'd be very good next to someone because he's an expert at flick ons, but in our system most of the flick ons just go toward unoccupied space.

We need a player who can both hold the ball up & has a real eye for goal. Reid, Brunt & Matt all suited the role & I trust Adams to find another player to fit, in fact, I'd take Jamille Matt back.

I’d argue that flicking the ball on into an empty space not near your own team doesn’t make you an expert at flicks ons.

But I see what you’re getting at.

Jul 7, 2006
As a previous poster has said can be a nuisance to the opposition but I definitely do not agree with the statement 'works tirelessly' because IMO that is the one thing he does not do.
He needs to take a leaf out of Sarcevic's book. Look at the pressure he caused their back 4 when he harried them.
Blissett is what he is but spent a bit too much time yesterday wandering around aimlessly. Needs to work harder and be more of a nuisance.

R

rdr123

narrowboat":dnh1ufy2 said:
As a previous poster has said can be a nuisance to the opposition but I definitely do not agree with the statement 'works tirelessly' because IMO that is the one thing he does not do.
He needs to take a leaf out of Sarcevic's book. Look at the pressure he caused their back 4 when he harried them.
Blissett is what he is but spent a bit too much time yesterday wandering around aimlessly. Needs to work harder and be more of a nuisance.

One of the worst things he did yesterday was when the ball was crossed in from the left in the first half and he was facing the wrong way!

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
I was looking forward to seeing Blisset yesterday having read a few positives about him on here. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I'll reserve final judgement until I have seen him a few more times, if I can make the games.

I don't see him as pacey.
I don't think he's particularly good in the air.
I don't consider him to have a good touch.
I consider his link up to be below even League 2 standard.
I don't think his work rate was anywhere near that of those behind him.

Compared to Taylor vs Exeter (or even Matt before him) there's no comparison in my eyes. Appreciate he's learning and more good can come. But he's 27 so I wouldn't hold my breath. Any manager worth his salt should have eeked out the above by now, or at least 2 or 3 elements.

I say this as an ex SWL forward, similar build and height (albeit 15 years ago). It was drilled into me what I should/shouldn't/can do and I honestly believe I know of better SWL players now.

Again, this is based on one performance. If I see better in the future I'll be the first to praise and eat my words.

Big thanks also to all Pasoti'ites who contribute to the free home tickets, as I was able to take advantage of one yesterday and took my soon, too. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope to be able to return the favour in the future.

Aug 5, 2016
It might be worth taking the time to remember we signed the bloke from non league for £15,000, which is a week's wages for some in this division.

Also worth remembering he was the only one who looked remotely competent against Bristol City.

Blissett was never going to be one of the best players in the division. He was brought in as cheap cover to provide depth for times when we are urgently lacking. Bizarrely, two league games into the season we find ourselves in exactly that situation.

Argyle won 2-0 yesterday, why single out one of our lowest paid players for criticism?

Feb 2, 2007
I can't believe he's getting criticised for yesterday. He gave his all, having played 90 in a draining 5-0 defeat where he also gave his all. This would have tested the fitness levels of any L1 target man. It interested me against Charlton that he clearly occupied and worried the two Charlton Central defenders enough for them not to leave him 1 on 1. Also this bought Jervis and Grant into the game more effectively.

I applaud the lad, and further to seeing him away at Wycombe and home to Crewe last season, even away at Yeovil in what was a terrible team performance, think he shows great promise and as long as he can improve ball control and movement will be a very option at this level.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
Ball control and movement being two of the most important attributes for a target man...

If Songo'o improved in those areas does that make him a good target man? He's not getting slated. Just so happens he's not rated by the posters on this thread. Maybe 10 or 12 people? Nothing really.

I'd love to see any Argyle played come good. I just haven't seen it yet in Blisset but we all have our own interpretations.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I think all this quick to judge criticism from one game on Blissett is concerning. Lets look at the facts:

Watch the highlights and there are 4 times on the highlights that Blissett helps us create chances, helps keep the ball in the final third or he creates space for other players by occupying defenders eg

1- Chance 1 Sarcevic runs through on goalkeeper created by Blissett's hold up and click on,
2- Chance 2 his presence and flick leads to Sawyer crossing the ball which we almost score from3-
3- Chance 3 he has same influence on Carey cross that fizzes across the pitch
4- Chance/4 and goal then from the corner - Blissett makes near post run taking out 2-3 defenders, free header Edwards, Jervis flick and goal.

Taylor is a very good player but even in the limited time he played versus Peterborough I would argue he was dominated more by the defenders than Blissett was. I personally rated him as 7 or 7.5 out of 10 on Saturday's performance.

- His presence meant that Charlton defenders did not have any "Easy" clearances, they could not bring it down and play out because he is such a tall presence putting them off. Charlton's manager mentioned what a big and strong team we are , so he certainly gives opposition managers something to think about.

- Also he has now started only 2 x league games, and has been sub for a few since he joined us. If there is a good statto out there I think you will find that whenever he is on the pitch (aside from - Argyle perform better. I remember last season that when he came on we either stayed level or in the game or we scored a goal (not sure if anyone can help here).

- I agree he needs improvement, he could be nastier and stronger but he is a big lad and a great focal point for our play. He is newish to to League football. I imagine he needs a bit of confidence building.

Like another poster said, lets get behind him, give him our support and not knock him down. He definitely has something in his locker which can help us, he suits our formation. He is still learning so lets give him more game time against Chelsea and Southend as he is going to be very important in away games too.

We all know he is not going to be 1st choice all season once we get a new striker in or Taylor is back, but he can be very useful indeed.

I was encouraged by Blisset's performance. Before the game I feared we would see another performance similar to Grimsby, Blackpool or Luton last season simply because we wouldn't be able to get the ball up the pitch and harass the opposition out of posession. Nathan played his part in us doing that, he was a handful for the central defenders.
He's not perfect, yes he can improve, but he's not completely out of his depth.
A good friend of mine is a Charlton fan and was at the game. Afterwards I asked him who in the Argyle team had impressed him, his answer was 'your big number 13, real handful for our defenders.'

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Aaron D.":2os5wumr said:
I was encouraged by Blisset's performance. Before the game I feared we would see another performance similar to Grimsby, Blackpool or Luton last season simply because we wouldn't be able to get the ball up the pitch and harass the opposition out of posession. Nathan played his part in us doing that, he was a handful for the central defenders.
He's not perfect, yes he can improve, but he's not completely out of his depth.
A good friend of mine is a Charlton fan and was at the game. Afterwards I asked him who in the Argyle team had impressed him, his answer was 'your big number 13, real handful for our defenders.'
Karl Robinson said something similar in the( interesting, but long) podcast thread posted at 5.45 this morning on the brief synopsis thread.