Millwall release Gregg into the Wylde | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Millwall release Gregg into the Wylde

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
PlymOdi":lnwskr54 said:
Steve Evans":lnwskr54 said:
with the exception of his royal highness king tommy tynan i am against returning players.i am old enough to remember colin Randell coming back.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think Tommy could cut it in L1 now.
:lol:

Jul 29, 2010
Cobi Budge":3g2b3sk1 said:
davie nine":3g2b3sk1 said:
Yes, he wanted to advance his career and it didn't work out in League 1.

Fair enough, but why should we want a player back who didn't perform at the level we are now in?

I didn't say in my post that I'm itching to have him back, I'm just saying that I don't see why he should criticised for moving to Millwall.
Maybe so, it's a desperation to come back I would have issue with...given the desperation to leave when opportunity knocked.

I would urge him never to kiss the badge on his shirt if he did come back :thumbdown:

Jul 29, 2010
A reminder for those who seem to have forgotten what GW gave us a league lower down...

Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
Wasted cross,
He hits one of our players :clap: :roll:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Nobby":28hkwdjc said:
I'll take him as a squad player. In the right type of game, he's a very useful style of player to have. We don't have much genuine pace and he can get defenders on the back foot. Whilst his delivery is very hit and miss, by getting us further up the pitch it creates space for other players.

Ditto here. I am not saying he should start every game, but his speed alone going forward would be enough to test a defender, in the last 15 minutes of a game, who is getting a tad knackered.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":3itgf2fk said:
It didn't work out for him but I'm really not sure why people criticise Wylde for moving to a bigger club in a higher league, he's not an Argyle fan, he's a professional footballer and he wanted to advance his career. :crazy: :crazy:

I'm not criticising his move to Milwall. Fair enough. But he was bang average here. He left to try and better himself. He went to league one. We stayed in league two. Now we're in league one and he wants to join again. He wasn't part of the project that got us up, he failed at the final hurdle and left to try and better himself.

Sounds harsh but it's a no from me. It's not like he's brilliant anyway. Just rapid

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Wylde usually played on the left for us, on his favoured left foot, perhaps after watching Kennedy play on the "wrong" side Adams might sign Wylde to play on the right hand side which allows him to cut inside to shoot with his favoured left foot rather than allow him to waste crosses by playing on the left.
Or at least have him on the bench as an impact sub.

I also think we are now a different team to the one Wylde played in, we didn't rely on crosses last season but used the tactic of three forward players rather than two wingers supplying the lone striker.

Kennedy and Jervis (usually those two plus Tanner or Slew) didn't really get to the by-line to cross, instead they worked triangles or created a shooting chance.

Jun 11, 2012
Wylde's game is, from the left, burning past the full-back and crossing it in. He's not technically good enough to play as an inverted wide player like Kennedy or Carey (who I think is actually most effective from wide right). You need a lot more than just a turn of pace.

If we were still in L2 I'd be content with us signing Gregg Wylde, but definitely not now. Better must be available.

Aug 5, 2016
I didn't see any evidence that Wylde had anywhere near enough quality with that errant left foot of his, to play on the right wing and cut inside to do some damage with it.

Kennedy hit five goals from distance and picked out top corners, can you see Wylde doing this? He couldn't even find the 18 yard box with a cross at times.

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
All teams can use a Wylde (whoops I mean wild) card but I'm not sure we need this one especially having signed Ainsworth and Lameiras to provide the trickery (hopefully).

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
A quick and skilful player but very little in the way of end product. A reluctant no from me.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Pilgrim384":11c4m5x1 said:
Surely not another winger...
Jervis and Ainsworth are both right sided, Lameiras said his preferred role is the #10 position. That leaves us still needing two players who can play left wing.