Michael Cooper | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper

May 8, 2011
Pogleswoody":2iwcv2es said:
Adam_R":2iwcv2es said:
It does beg the question where should these players get experience. Even if he had played a few years in the Central League i guess he still would have "league experience". As a third choice keeper at a struggling L1 club his chances really are going to be few and far between.

Not sure what his mental strength is like but would be interesting to see him given a run of games in the first team. He may prove himself, he may get snapped up by another club after some good performances. Otherwise, no offence to the lad, he is just a pointless cog in the machine. Kind of the second back-up generator that when called upon is replaced by another generator. This is his chance - probably an unforeseen opportunity but it has arisen so let him show what he can do.

More senior players with bags of experience have cost us points this year, why should a young lad not be given an opportunity in-case he does the same?

So expect a couple of Southampton FC staff at his next game then? :facepalm:

A Southampton scout has watched a few U18 and SWPL games recently, unfortunately for him the player he apparently came to see didn’t play due to an ‘injury’.

Aug 5, 2016
Mark_Colling":juxywmdi said:
It's not like other positions where you can sensibly bring young players on for 10/15/20 mins at the end of a game.

Tricky one but I think we have to play safe and bring someone in; exposing him to too much too early could be mutually damaging.

I think it was Benfica who played an 18 year old in goal against Manchester United the other night. They clearly targeted him to the point where Rashford was having a go from corners and eventually lobbed him from a 45 yard free kick. That keeper error cost them as they lost 1-0, but he had a fair few more shaky moments. He might go on to be an ATG, but it looks like he was far too raw for the standard at that stage of his career.

His next games will prove whether it has knocked his confidence.

Jul 6, 2011
So now we're comparing the champions league to league 1? Interesting....
Argyle have a number of very decent young players who individually could shame many of the first team players who need to step up their efforts and maintain some consistency.
Louis Rooney was quite decent for us, but I think Dan has even more potential. Thing is with Cameron he's maybe more DA's type of player which is no reflection on him or any others of his age group.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Keepitgreen":pr6l44yo said:
ping_g5":pr6l44yo said:
If our circumstances were different, mid-table for example, defence looking sold, I'd definitely say give him his head and put him in the team and I reckon DA probably would to. However, being where we are and playing the 4 teams directly above in in the next few weeks - games we need to win, I'm not so sure it's a good idea at this time.
This.
I know this is totally off topic, but these kind of replies are a bit daft. I know it's good to show support to other posts, but I wonder whether we should adopt a +1/-1 approach to posts, where if someone agrees they can just click an "Agree" or "Disagree" button to say so. Adding a new post just to say "Agreed." or "This." seems a bit dappy to me. It's nothing against the guy above, it's more highlighting a limitation of the site - think we should move with the times a little.

Sorry for going totally off-topic btw :whistle:

Aug 3, 2017
briangreen":1w2xmsdv said:
Argyle have a number of very decent young players who individually could shame many of the first team players who need to step up their efforts and maintain some consistency.
Louis Rooney was quite decent for us, but I think Dan has even more potential. Thing is with Cameron he's maybe more DA's type of player which is no reflection on him or any others of his age group.

Is that not part of the problem. Our youth system though having some promising talent doesnt usually give the players the versatility to play multiple formations. Therefore if we are educating them to play 4-4-2 at youth level, but playing 4-5-1 (4-3-3) at senior level you really limit the ‘prospects’ to defenders, maybe centre midfielders. Look to Louis Rooney, a good start to his Linfield career playing a striker partnership.

Could he of played a lone striker of our first team...i doubt it.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
vibratingspider":ffwupuh1 said:
Keepitgreen":ffwupuh1 said:
ping_g5":ffwupuh1 said:
If our circumstances were different, mid-table for example, defence looking sold, I'd definitely say give him his head and put him in the team and I reckon DA probably would to. However, being where we are and playing the 4 teams directly above in in the next few weeks - games we need to win, I'm not so sure it's a good idea at this time.
This.
I know this is totally off topic, but these kind of replies are a bit daft. I know it's good to show support to other posts, but I wonder whether we should adopt a +1/-1 approach to posts, where if someone agrees they can just click an "Agree" or "Disagree" button to say so. Adding a new post just to say "Agreed." or "This." seems a bit dappy to me. It's nothing against the guy above, it's more highlighting a limitation of the site - think we should move with the times a little.

Agree, :funny:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
samjones":93fjmokb said:
vibratingspider":93fjmokb said:
Keepitgreen":93fjmokb said:
ping_g5":93fjmokb said:
This.

Agree, :funny:

This.

Jul 29, 2010
vibratingspider":2qgiyff5 said:
Keepitgreen":2qgiyff5 said:
ping_g5":2qgiyff5 said:
This.

No thanks, adding a like/dislike option would just add to the facetw@tterfication of the site. As a species we've coped perfectly well with words since we first began to communicate.

Smileys are acceptable as they convey the HUMAN emotion concerned. But numbers are a 'binary' form of expression and are best left to computers...

..."Human says no" :wink:

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
X Isle":1016fo6f said:
vibratingspider":1016fo6f said:
Keepitgreen":1016fo6f said:
ping_g5":1016fo6f said:
This.

No thanks, adding a like/dislike option would just add to the facetw@tterfication of the site. As a species we've coped perfectly well with words since we first began to communicate.

Smileys are acceptable as they convey the HUMAN emotion concerned. But numbers are a 'binary' form of expression and are best left to computers...

..."Human says no" :wink:
What about nodding in agreement? :)

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
or

36_20_21.gif

Aug 5, 2016
briangreen":1rt4c2t4 said:

I'm comparing situations where 18 year olds were thrown in like senior players, and perhaps were not ready to cope with the pressure and the standard.

Cooper has been used to SWPL performances, the tenth tier of English football. That alone is a step up from U18s football. Suddenly he is needed in the third tier, where the pace and style of play is drastically different.

For anyone out there working as a welder, electrician, solicitor or accountant, why not take an 18 year old apprentice from your workplace and give him/her some of the assignments that the experienced professionals deal with. Leave him/her alone to do it with no guidance and just trust it will be done to excellent standards. It is essentially what some fans want Adams to do, but I'm not sure many would stake it all on the teenage apprentices in their own workplaces.

The reality is that working up to a certain standard takes time, experience and development. In two years time of training with the senior players, playing cup and reserves matches, working his way up to number two and showing good form, Cooper might be ready. Now is realistically a bit before his time.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3h9m5xly said:
briangreen":3h9m5xly said:

I'm comparing situations where 18 year olds were thrown in like senior players, and perhaps were not ready to cope with the pressure and the standard.

Cooper has been used to SWPL performances, the tenth tier of English football. That alone is a step up from U18s football. Suddenly he is needed in the third tier, where the pace and style of play is drastically different.

For anyone out there working as a welder, electrician, solicitor or accountant, why not take an 18 year old apprentice from your workplace and give him/her some of the assignments that the experienced professionals deal with. Leave him/her alone to do it with no guidance and just trust it will be done to excellent standards. It is essentially what some fans want Adams to do, but I'm not sure many would stake it all on the teenage apprentices in their own workplaces.

The reality is that working up to a certain standard takes time, experience and development. In two years time of training with the senior players, playing cup and reserves matches, working his way up to number two and showing good form, Cooper might be ready. Now is realistically a bit before his time.
I don't think that those highlighted will thank you for comparing their professions with, what is really a simple game, football.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
ping_g5":1xtc65v7 said:
Couldn't agree more.

Cooper clearly has potential and I'd much rather he was phased in than chucked straight into a relegation battle which could (if it went wrong for him) really damage his career prospects. He did very well on Tuesday by all accounts but it is very often the case with young players that consistency of performance will be an issue. Tyler Harvey and Louis Rooney both looked like world-beaters on their full debuts, both scoring. Both are now playing non-league football.

Cooper may well play consistently well given a run of a games but it's just too much of a risk on Saturday imo, for a match that we simply have to win. I'd rather that we had a more experienced player in goal and I'd rather that Cooper didn't potentially damage his career by having too much exposure to the first team too early.

Oct 31, 2015
Keepitgreen":1gqjyo9o said:
Knibbsworth":1gqjyo9o said:
briangreen":1gqjyo9o said:

I don't think that those highlighted will thank you for comparing their professions with, what is really a simple game, football.

Superb comeback. I nearly spat my tea out :)

NanGreenthing

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 22, 2010
All this talk of throwing a youngster in at the deep end does anyone remember when Romain was injured Sturrock threw Luke in and look how he turned out, OK so he made a few mistakes to start with but he soon became a good goalkeeper and Argyle were promoted to the championship as champions that year . also if we get a goalkeeper for one or two games will he be that interested in whether we win or lose ? I will now go and put my tin hat on !