Michael Cooper | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Adam_R":1hdmt32v said:
It does beg the question where should these players get experience. Even if he had played a few years in the Central League i guess he still would have "league experience". As a third choice keeper at a struggling L1 club his chances really are going to be few and far between.

Not sure what his mental strength is like but would be interesting to see him given a run of games in the first team. He may prove himself, he may get snapped up by another club after some good performances. Otherwise, no offence to the lad, he is just a pointless cog in the machine. Kind of the second back-up generator that when called upon is replaced by another generator. This is his chance - probably an unforeseen opportunity but it has arisen so let him show what he can do.

More senior players with bags of experience have cost us points this year, why should a young lad not be given an opportunity in-case he does the same?

So expect a couple of Southampton FC staff at his next game then? :facepalm:

Apr 12, 2016
The sensible thing will be to get a new keeper in on emergency loan with MC on the bench. He had a great second half on Tuesday but let's say he is on the end of a shocker in a match it could damage his confidence and development in the long term. He is learning his trade and should have a great future but common sense says get a keeper with a degree of experience..

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Pogleswoody":27alfl28 said:
Adam_R":27alfl28 said:
It does beg the question where should these players get experience. Even if he had played a few years in the Central League i guess he still would have "league experience". As a third choice keeper at a struggling L1 club his chances really are going to be few and far between.

Not sure what his mental strength is like but would be interesting to see him given a run of games in the first team. He may prove himself, he may get snapped up by another club after some good performances. Otherwise, no offence to the lad, he is just a pointless cog in the machine. Kind of the second back-up generator that when called upon is replaced by another generator. This is his chance - probably an unforeseen opportunity but it has arisen so let him show what he can do.

More senior players with bags of experience have cost us points this year, why should a young lad not be given an opportunity in-case he does the same?

I wouldn't see it as a facepalm concept Poggles. Football is absurd at the moment, a few good games and bit of exposure (Sky Sports showing his save at the weekend for example) and you could feasibly get a good offer from a Championship or PL team who stockpile anyone who shows glimpses of talent. Argyle generally aren't good at that and then complain that we struggle financially and wonder why other clubs can spend more than us. If they aren't given a chance, they are no use to Argyle either as a resource or as a financial resource. They will just take their wage and drift off into oblivion in a few years.

Yes he could balls up in monumental fashion in the next game but then that could happen to Luke, RTL or Letheren. If he has the mental strength, he should have the opportunity to play IMHO.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Adam_R":3jvf5gjo said:
Pogleswoody":3jvf5gjo said:
Adam_R":3jvf5gjo said:

I wouldn't see it as a facepalm concept Poggles. Football is absurd at the moment, a few good games and bit of exposure (Sky Sports showing his save at the weekend for example) and you could feasibly get a good offer from a Championship or PL team who stockpile anyone who shows glimpses of talent. Argyle generally aren't good at that and then complain that we struggle financially and wonder why other clubs can spend more than us. If they aren't given a chance, they are no use to Argyle either as a resource or as a financial resource. They will just take their wage and drift off into oblivion in a few years.

Yes he could balls up in monumental fashion in the next game but then that could happen to Luke, RTL or Letheren. If he has the mental strength, he should have the opportunity to play IMHO.

Facepalm was for the 'absurdity' and the 'planning meetings' that staff at clubs like Southampton must have, trawling through the media. As you say, the modern game!
I'd love to see him play until one of the others is fit but our confidence is so thin at the moment that a mistake by him could set us (and him) right back.
(Cue someone posting Cooper? Right Back?? Mmmmm? :lol: )

Wish I were Mystic Meg or Psychic Pogles then I could tell you that he must play (or not? :think: )

Feb 8, 2005
Adam_R":322d8sba said:

The answer, as always, is on loan to another club in a lower league, and slowly working his way up to our level again. Goalkeeper is a difficult position to get experience in. A club generally has its own goalkeepers to rely on, but an opportunity may come forth for the lad, when we don't need him as back-up again, of course.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
jimsing":2fxl33hs said:
Adam_R":2fxl33hs said:

The answer, as always, is on loan to another club in a lower league, and slowly working his way up to our level again. Goalkeeper is a difficult position to get experience in. A club generally has its own goalkeepers to rely on, but an opportunity may come forth for the lad, when we don't need him as back-up again, of course.
It's not like other positions where you can sensibly bring young players on for 10/15/20 mins at the end of a game.

Tricky one but I think we have to play safe and bring someone in; exposing him to too much too early could be mutually damaging.

Dec 19, 2009
Personally I'd play the lad on Saturday. I've always had a problem with Argyle not blooding promising youngsters early in their career, just when exactly is anyone deemed 'ready' to play at first team level. If you don't give them a chance you're never going to find out how they cope with the pressure. Why should making a mistake necessarily crush this lad, I don't see that, I've no idea what his strength of character is but I do know you can't be a keeper if you're going to worry every time you throw one in, it's going to happen a good few times in your career. The game is as much in the head as it is on the pitch, if you're not mentally strong chances are you'll fail no matter how good you are. Let's see what he can do before some 'bigger' club takes him off our hands for peanuts.

Apr 12, 2016
When all said and done we still need to get a keeper in as we only have Cooper and no cover for him for possibly at least a couple of weeks yet.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Confirmed that a new keeper will be signed in time for Saturday:

Adams told Herald Sport: “We are still working on it but we will have a new goalkeeper for Saturday.

“We have only got Michael Cooper, who is an apprentice. We have got dispensation to take in another goalkeeper.

“We have got to get the medical records off to the FA to prove the three goalkeepers are injured".

Herald

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Also states that the new (currently unidentified) recruit will start in place of Cooper.

Surely it would make sense to give Cooper this game as he would have been training with the lads all week but instead we throw a new bloke in goal who will probably be introduced to his teammates on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Hey ho, lets pray its a Rab Douglas type loan!

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
If our circumstances were different, mid-table for example, defence looking sold, I'd definitely say give him his head and put him in the team and I reckon DA probably would to. However, being where we are and playing the 4 teams directly above in in the next few weeks - games we need to win, I'm not so sure it's a good idea at this time.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
ping_g5":3fygf2rn said:
If our circumstances were different, mid-table for example, defence looking sold, I'd definitely say give him his head and put him in the team and I reckon DA probably would to. However, being where we are and playing the 4 teams directly above in in the next few weeks - games we need to win, I'm not so sure it's a good idea at this time.
This.

Jul 6, 2011
So what do we do Saturday if the new goalie lets 3 in by halftime, call on Cooper again? I hope this new keeper is as good as people expect.

Apr 12, 2016
briangreen":1e7c7q2b said:
So what do we do Saturday if the new goalie lets 3 in by halftime, call on Cooper again? I hope this new keeper is as good as people expect.

Would depend on how exactly the three goals were scored surely ? Mind you we have had a couple or three pannings already this season with our normal keepers so we've got previous

Feb 28, 2016
Knibbsworth":1iphsru9 said:
MarkMatthews":1iphsru9 said:
Knibbsworth":1iphsru9 said:
I don't think that's fair. Alex Fletcher has been given a fair bit of support - he started up front on Saturday against top of the league despite Blissett, Grant and Jervis being available. Fletcher has come off the bench regularly this season when the likes of Ainsworth can't get a run out.

He has got that because he has forced managements hand as top scorer!

Forced his hand as top scorer? Settle down! Fletcher has got a total of three goals, and two came in a cup match against Chelsea's schoolboys.

I had concerns about Fletch starting up front alone against Shrewsbury, but Adams backed him. Jervis and Blissett have scored league goals this season, but he opted for the young man. DA's hand was far from pushed there, but it doesn't suit your conviction that all of the youth team are ready for the step up to League One football and it's only Derek Adams holding them back.

Your misrepresenting both me and a fair few of the players I mentioned. I'm sure I've said on here before and if I haven't, I will now go on record as saying, out of the youth, at this moment in time, I would only have Mike Cooper and Ryan Law (both second years) anywhere near the first time. I would have no worries about either Luke Jephcott or Elliott Crawford either, just that I think there are people in those positions ahead of them. Their time will come and I think they will be ready when it is.

Alex Battle, Aaron Taylor and Dan Rooney aren't the youth team, neither are Fletcher, Rose or Bentley.

I believe Dan Rooney is out injured but I firmly believe Aaron Taylor is the most obvious example of being held back. No way for my money Sangster should be traveling with the first team ahead of Rooney or Taylor or playing in the central league ahead of those two.

Please don't see it as knocking Cameron I'm aware that in black and white it could be interpreted that I am but I'm not. I hope he takes these chances and would love to see him in the first team one day.

I don't think you need to be a professional football coach to see Dan Rooney and Ben Steer are better than Matt Ward or Cameron Sangster. That's not to say I don't think they can't make it as pros and no one outside them or their families would love to see it more. It's just I would rather pay to watch Dan Rooney or Ben Steer more.

As for a mistake damaging to confidence, I think not playing, not being trusted can be far worse for a players confidence and mental development, just speak to Ben Purrington, Tyler Harvey or River Allen about it.