league 1 standard of football | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

league 1 standard of football

Lgm

Mar 15, 2017
Surrey
With Argyles far from impressive displays last season with heavy defeats at home - Luton, Grimsby & Blackpool - this season continues in the same vein & I cannot see where the next win is going come from.

Jan 27, 2012
I think Argyle are weaker this year- no Taylor and no Kennedy. Two key players for the club in the promotion run in. It's at the attacking end of the field where games are won, and we just don't have the quality there- except for Carey.

The wages in League One are clearly higher, but looking at the close season signings I'd suggest we have a League Two budget. I see little quality in this team, mostly a bunch of workhorses and journeymen.

Feb 17, 2017
dunlop":c3y2udqe said:
Can't remember enjoying a game of football so much at HP for a long time,i hope this is what we are in for this season.

4 home games and 4 red cards later

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Don't think the standard is that much higher but it's clear we are a worse team than last year currently.
Confidence is low frustration has risen and with poor team selection formation and tactics we have been ripped apart by some poor opposition.
Interestingly the other teams promoted are all doing well.
So far with injuries and suspensions the campaign has been a disaster

Jun 26, 2006
samjones":101kpuq3 said:
Doncaster are struggling too. If they hadn't beaten us last weekend they would only still be one point above us. Don't forget they were relegated from League 1 at the end of the season before last, so we will have a very hard battle to keep ourselves in this league.

Feb 17, 2017
green_forever":6gyg5h6e said:
samjones":6gyg5h6e said:
Doncaster are struggling too. If they hadn't beaten us last weekend they would only still be one point above us. Don't forget they were relegated from League 1 at the end of the season before last, so we will have a very hard battle to keep ourselves in this league.

Doncaster themselves are probably just aiming for survival, and they’re probably hoping we’re one of the teams worse than them this season, so far we are not disappointing. Be under no illusion We made them look far better than they are, I see they lost again on Tuesday. I feel they will be there or there abouts with us

Nov 9, 2008
For me, the biggest difference between Leagues One and Two is that we could easily sit back with ten behind the ball in League Two, let the opposition pass the ball around outside of the final third and force the error due to a lack of positive movement, lack of mental sharpness and lack of ability to execute a pass into a small window. In this league, that tactic clearly isn't working, and hasn't for quite some time. Today we sat back and tried it, but Rochdale were patient, building from the back and moving into space to open up areas for the ball to go into, all the while making sure that they didn't make mistakes that would give away possession or the chance for us to break.

Every team I've seen us play this season has easily been ale to break us down when we play like that and, as soon as we start sitting off them, it's been like waiting for the inevitable goal. We've done it for this long and it's got us into the position we're in. Yes it worked in a lower league, but now is the time we desperately need to adapt, start consistently pressuring teams a lot more and show that we can fit into this division. If we keep playing League Two football, then we'll soon be back playing League Two football next season.

G

Greenskin

mde203":hy22l9fg said:
For me, the biggest difference between Leagues One and Two is that we could easily sit back with ten behind the ball in League Two, let the opposition pass the ball around outside of the final third and force the error due to a lack of positive movement, lack of mental sharpness and lack of ability to execute a pass into a small window. In this league, that tactic clearly isn't working, and hasn't for quite some time. Today we sat back and tried it, but Rochdale were patient, building from the back and moving into space to open up areas for the ball to go into, all the while making sure that they didn't make mistakes that would give away possession or the chance for us to break.

Every team I've seen us play this season has easily been ale to break us down when we play like that and, as soon as we start sitting off them, it's been like waiting for the inevitable goal. We've done it for this long and it's got us into the position we're in. Yes it worked in a lower league, but now is the time we desperately need to adapt, start consistently pressuring teams a lot more and show that we can fit into this division. If we keep playing League Two football, then we'll soon be back playing League Two football next season.

If the difference between the divisions is as stark as you suggest, how did Argyle contrive to lose 7 home games last season?

May 16, 2016
Saw Southend Manager on Channel 5 recently, he said that the standard was higher this Season and apparently, there's more money sloshing about.

The difference between the two Leagues is definitely greater than anticipated.