league 1 standard of football | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

league 1 standard of football

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Too early to tell I'd say.

We battered Posh and lost, we could've lost against Charlton and we won, we got battered by Southend in the first half and yet came away with a draw.

Saturday's result was a football apparition which sometimes happens.

We'll wait and see, I'll be looking for at least top ten this season.

Jul 29, 2010
360 minutes in you simply can't say,. It's just gum bumping as no conclusions are possible but i agree with Ian, Scunny sits as an anomaly currently as there were positives to draw from all the other games.

More generally the performance of the promoted teams in recent seasons is cause for confidence but we'll see after 10-15 games.

B

BaffinsPompey

Maybe too early to get a good feel. but of the teams we have played the standard has been a considerable jump.

Interesting it has also really revealed our weaknesses as a team, that we need to address - pace and power being a big one!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
BaffinsPompey":1phznb80 said:
Maybe too early to get a good feel. but of the teams we have played the standard has been a considerable jump.

Interesting it has also really revealed our weaknesses as a team, that we need to address - pace and power being a big one!

The standard of the teams we're playing is bringing in the best out of some of less renowned from last season. Strangely our (arguably) best two players from last season seem to be finding it harder to find their feet.

Last week against Scunthorpe we lost by a huge margin to a team that was content to timewaste from around 15 minutes in and suckered us by three goals after we were a man down.
time wasting! Think Wycombe but more professional at it.

Oct 24, 2010
I unfortunately (fortunately??) had to miss Saturday's game but the lesson to be learned is obvious from the highlights: We can't give away poor goals, we must keep our concentration and be difficult to score against.Obviously Sarcovic's aberration had a major effect but that shouldn't disguise our shoddy defending, if we want to do well in this league we have to do better.

Oct 31, 2015
I actually agree with a Pompey fan (oh help!).

I think the standard is a definite step up and the football has been a lot better to watch(including saturday).

Just see how many fans stayed until the end and clapped a home team who had just been turned over 0-4. I think that was out of appreciation for what they saw and would not have happened last year (0-3 to Blsckpool anyone?)

Our defending has to be a lot better in this league and lets face it that was our strength last season. There is much more movement in this league. In front of goal you have to be s lot more clinical again bowls out what we saw on Saturday.

Funny enough I think our midfield has been better so far this season maybe because the ball stays down longer on the deck. Last season a lot compmained about the entertainment factor. I dont think we can say the same so far this season.

I think we will lower mid on a steep learning curve this season but hopefully as enjoyable as the first month has been.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The standard of football in League One is definitely a step up from League Two, unfortunately the gamesmanship and time wasting has also gone up a level. The referee's we had in League Two also officiate in League One and from what I've seen so far are unable to handle the higher level of gamesmanship and time wasting in League One.

Some of the Argyle players like Fox and Bradley are still finding their feet in League One and have struggled with the pace of the game and opposition players.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PL2 3DQ":1d9uo30f said:
unfortunately the gamesmanship and time wasting has also gone up a level.
Just wait until the September 16. I went to Wigan v Bury earlier this season and Bury's time wasting in that game (Whilst drawing) was the worst I've ever seen.

Oct 31, 2015
Argy1e":2rqebl7r said:
PL2 3DQ":2rqebl7r said:
Just wait until the September 16. I went to Wigan v Bury earlier this season and Bury's time wasting in that game (Whilst drawing) was the worst I've ever seen.

What worse than Wycombe?!!!!!!! Oh that will be interesting 120 minutes

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
rsp4":csjfifpx said:
Argy1e":csjfifpx said:
PL2 3DQ":csjfifpx said:

What worse than Wycombe?!!!!!!! Oh that will be interesting 120 minutes
In that game, yes. They might not against us though. A draw at home with Argyle probably doesn't sound as good as a draw away at Wigan (Although they didn't get it, they lost 4-1)

B

BaffinsPompey

rsp4":gv79f081 said:
I actually agree with a Pompey fan (oh help!).

I think the standard is a definite step up and the football has been a lot better to watch(including saturday).

Just see how many fans stayed until the end and clapped a home team who had just been turned over 0-4. I think that was out of appreciation for what they saw and would not have happened last year (0-3 to Blsckpool anyone?)

Our defending has to be a lot better in this league and lets face it that was our strength last season. There is much more movement in this league. In front of goal you have to be s lot more clinical again bowls out what we saw on Saturday.

Funny enough I think our midfield has been better so far this season maybe because the ball stays down longer on the deck. Last season a lot compmained about the entertainment factor. I dont think we can say the same so far this season.

I think we will lower mid on a steep learning curve this season but hopefully as enjoyable as the first month has been.

We are allowed to agree now and then you know ;)

But I know one thing, when you come to play Wigan I will actually be cheering on Plymouth - never thought I would be saying that a year ago!

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Piggybacking on what Baffins said, when Walsall came to Fratton Park a week ago, they were as dirty as Newport were the last few years. The main difference was that the player's also had a lot more skill.

We've had 4 red cards in our first four games, and a couple more that should have been. Not sure if the standard of refereeing has gone up, whether there's more volatile players or whether the player's are pushing so close to their limits that they're being caught out. Either way, it's made for more exciting games.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I have to admit I never thought there would be much of a difference in the ability of teams from League 1, in comparison to League 2. This was mainly due to the fact that when we played teams from League 1 when in cup competitions in recent years, they did not look that much better than us.

However, there does seem to be a significant gap to me, now we are 10 games in.

Of course one could argue that our own progression is stagnant, or that we may have in fact regressed. However, one thing for sure is that, with the possible exception of the opening game, where I think we deserved a draw, every other game we've played, we've been outplayed, irrespective of the final score.

Last night's style of play, (and some others), mirrored the Anfield game of last season, but we came unstuck. Of course we can blame the style, the team selected and set up of the manager, plus we can blame the tactics. But is it that in reality our players cannot cut the mustard at this level or is it a coaching issue ?

Last night Ainsworth, for example, had a poor game in my opinion. However, here we have a guy with pace but not one player seemed to have the ability to play a channel ball on the floor for him to chase. Pretty much everything was sent to him chest high (or higher) with his back to goal and the defender right up his arris ! Surely we should play to players strengths, not their weakness. Giving Sawyer the ball to his right foot instead of his left is another example. This always forces him to turn back towards goal, whereas he could be moving forward if given the ball to his left foot. It does make you wonder if we miss some of the basics in training and preparation for games.

The movement of teams like Charlton, Doncaster and especially Bristol City seems to be very different in style to our own static and statuesque lack of movement, with no making of angles for each other, or willing running to take defenders out of position.

In summary, is this league proving to be a step too far for some of our players or does our coaching need revitalising ?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought Wigan were easily the best team I've seen this season Malc.

They were very, very good and I would be amazed not to see them promoted.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think the biggest difference is being clinical in-front of goal. The perfect example was MK Dons home, they were nothing special at all, but were still able to take one of the few chances that fell their way. You simply get punished far more than you do in League 2.