league 1 standard of football | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

league 1 standard of football

Mar 23, 2008
warney":z52qpkzc said:
Will League 1 suit us better than League 2 style-wise, perhaps?
Think it will as teams will come at us more which suits our counter attacking style. Last season we often came unstuck when teams sat in and we had to take the game to them, don't think that will happen so much this season.

Aug 13, 2009
PL2 3DQ":2ilhm5ee said:
I thought the games against Peterborough and Charlton were both a step up in quality compared to League Two and it's pleasing to say Argyle also raised their standard and matched both opponents.

Time wasting and simulation is still a problem but when the football is actually played it's entertaining and of a good standard.

Time wasting will be eliminated at a stroke if/when we bring in 30 mins per half with the clock being stopped each time the ball is dead.

It just seems like common sense to me. They can roll around as much as they like, stroll off when substituted, take their time with throw ins and corners all of it would be pointless with the clock stopped until the ball is in play again.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
santos73":28l3ve7g said:
PL2 3DQ":28l3ve7g said:
I thought the games against Peterborough and Charlton were both a step up in quality compared to League Two and it's pleasing to say Argyle also raised their standard and matched both opponents.

Time wasting and simulation is still a problem but when the football is actually played it's entertaining and of a good standard.

Time wasting will be eliminated at a stroke if/when we bring in 30 mins per half with the clock being stopped each time the ball is dead.

It just seems like common sense to me. They can roll around as much as they like, stroll off when substituted, take their time with throw ins and corners all of it would be pointless with the clock stopped until the ball is in play again.

Will be a positive step, stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play or when the referee blows for a free kick or penalty, would personally prefer they introduce this but keep to 45 min halves .

Oct 24, 2010
It was a high quality game of football on Saturday and I would have thought our second half performance was, for the manager, as near to perfection as it gets. We were very good when we didn't have the ball, we worked hard at keeping our shape and we defended exceptionally well. We allowed Charlton to pass it back and forth across the pitch in front of us but whenever they tried to make inroads it all came to nothing and McCormick was rarely troubled. The refreshing change from last season is that when we got the ball we retained possession and passed the ball well instead of playing it long as we tended to do last season.When we got forward we were dangerous and well worth the two goals.We had a couple of defensive lapses in the first half and rode our luck to some extent but in the second half we were rock solid at the back and looked very potent going forward. I do think it will take a huge effort to get to the play-offs in our first season up but if we can perform consistently throughout the season as we did in the second half then who knows!! The style of play suits our players and if we can maintain that quality of football the attendances will be at a very healthy level.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
DartingtonPilgrim":mudn741g said:
santos73":mudn741g said:
PL2 3DQ":mudn741g said:

Will be a positive step, stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play or when the referee blows for a free kick or penalty, would personally prefer they introduce this but keep to 45 min halves .

Come on lads, think of the poor Wycombe fans, they have times to go to as well you know!!

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Hard to tell for sure but L1 seems a step up in style, skill and ball retention from all sides. Re Charlton, I liked the way we let them play where they couldn't hurt us, we may see this a lot. Don't get too carried away, BC were a class above us last Tuesday....but that's for a future season!

Apr 9, 2011
One note of caution yes it was pleasing on the eye on Sat but its only two games in & against what are supposedly two of the better sides in the division, would like to think they will all be like that but fear there will be some Wycombesque teams lurking.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Guiri Green":2b89b780 said:
warney":2b89b780 said:

Based on no more than the two games played so far, I'd say yes. More of a contrast to L2 than the last time we stepped up. Perhaps the standard of Football in England outside of the PL has been slowly going up across the board.

I'd definitely agree with that. I saw a couple of Sheffield Wednesday games last year and they were a really excellent side. If those players had been up against the Championship sides we played against 6-12 years ago they'd have won the league by 10 points.

May 16, 2016
Brussels Bureaucrat":2ddjw51z said:
Guiri Green":2ddjw51z said:
warney":2ddjw51z said:

Based on no more than the two games played so far, I'd say yes. More of a contrast to L2 than the last time we stepped up. Perhaps the standard of Football in England outside of the PL has been slowly going up across the board.

I'd definitely agree with that. I saw a couple of Sheffield Wednesday games last year and they were a really excellent side. If those players had been up against the Championship sides we played against 6-12 years ago they'd have won the league by 10 points.

Combine that with the relative success of the younger aged groups in the England set up and the argument for B Teams inclusion becomes redundant !

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
I didn't believe there was a great deal of difference between League One and League Two, certainly from mid-table downwards anyway. That view was based on how well the promoted clubs have done in League One over the last few seasons. None of them have struggled really.

In Peterborough and Charlton, I think we have seem two of the better sides in the division (top 10 I would say). I think a lot of the clubs in the bottom half of the division will still play a League Two style game. It will be interesting to see what the table looks like after 10 games or so but I wouldn't be surprised to see both of those team challenging this season, along with the obvious choices of Blackburn and Wigan. Time will tell.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Guiri Green":2khaim2n said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":2khaim2n said:
Guiri Green":2khaim2n said:
warney":2khaim2n said:

Combine that with the relative success of the younger aged groups in the England set up and the argument for B Teams inclusion becomes redundant !

Absolutely.

Not that it was anything other than redundant to start with.

P

poshie

MajorGreen":10pf99hk said:
I didn't believe there was a great deal of difference between League One and League Two, certainly from mid-table downwards anyway. That view was based on how well the promoted clubs have done in League One over the last few seasons. None of them have struggled really.

In Peterborough and Charlton, I think we have seem two of the better sides in the division (top 10 I would say). I think a lot of the clubs in the bottom half of the division will still play a League Two style game. It will be interesting to see what the table looks like after 10 games or so but I wouldn't be surprised to see both of those team challenging this season, along with the obvious choices of Blackburn and Wigan. Time will tell.
Poshie here and I'll go away until we play you at Home Park. You are 8th in the League. You battered us at London Road. If you get a half decent striker you will be top 6. You sure as hell ain't going down. I reckon 3 of the 4 relegation places are already nailed on. Charlton will finish lower half. Us? Could win the league, could make the playoffs, could get relegated.

Sep 19, 2016
Watching the re-run of the match, it was entertaining, even when I knew the score etc. I look forward to a trip home and seeing it live.

B

BaffinsPompey

Hey folks,

Just looking around at how other promoted teams have done so far - seems to be the same - mixed.

I'm not sure what your views are?, but as a pompey fan I came into this season thinking the standard would be broadly similar (a little better perhaps then the top half of league 2, but not too much more).

But I must say the jump in class has really surprised me and a few other my fellow fans. Certainly in the teams we have played so far. Far more pace, far more power and better finishing all round. Every game has been a hell of a fight so far.

We are certainly only shooting for a midtable finish this season, and that is only if we are bang on our game. so hoping to stabilise this year now, and improve next year.

Similar views to mine for you?