Lameiras (to Oldham or Bradford?) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lameiras (to Oldham or Bradford?)

Feb 28, 2016
Biggs":3kegxko7 said:
Mark, I really hope that you're not suggesting Young and Harvey were/are on the same level as Carey....

If you're speaking solely in terms of set piece taking, Luke had a very decent free kick on him. I remember an absolute pearl away at Barnet in Edgar Davids' first game in charge.

I can't recall Harvey taking many at first team level.

I am only talking set pieces. Whilst he never took one for the first team I think Calver was a better free kick taker as well.

The Harvey one that I remember is the one against Exeter, there may have been more but he scored a lot for the reserves as well. I think if he played more and was on free kicks that he would have scored more than Carey, although I concede that is only speculating.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
The local newspaper in Coventry asked Coventry City fans if they would like Lameiras to return on loan in January and 42% of fans want him back and 58% don't want him back.

G

greengiant1886

MarkMatthews":4te9e49d said:
Biggs":4te9e49d said:
Mark, I really hope that you're not suggesting Young and Harvey were/are on the same level as Carey....

If you're speaking solely in terms of set piece taking, Luke had a very decent free kick on him. I remember an absolute pearl away at Barnet in Edgar Davids' first game in charge.

I can't recall Harvey taking many at first team level.

I am only talking set pieces. Whilst he never took one for the first team I think Calver was a better free kick taker as well.

The Harvey one that I remember is the one against Exeter, there may have been more but he scored a lot for the reserves as well. I think if he played more and was on free kicks that he would have scored more than Carey, although I concede that is only speculating.
Carey is much better at corners than those two were as well.

Mar 12, 2011
Plymouth
Greenarmy11":2mh4fm2v said:
But misses the opportunity to play a simple pass at crucial moments in a game to play players though.. but letā€™s forget about that because he will score a screamer 1 in 8 attempts

Its Simple ! if nobody makes the run , what is the point in playing it down the channel, we are to slow as a team to move forward quickly, so he has two options try to go himself or wait, for someone to arrive before passing it.

because he can blow hot and cold you moan, tell me a premier player who does not have a bad patch during the season.

Support these players instead of winging about them.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
PL2 3DQ":qcpd2d5c said:
The local newspaper in Coventry asked Coventry City fans if they would like Lameiras to return on loan in January and 42% of fans want him back and 58% don't want him back.

Remind us what league they are in now, and they still don't think he is good enough

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Niche player. It's blatantly obvious that he has talent, but it's also blatantly obvious that he's a specific type of player who would benefit a specific system. No point in holding onto him, even if he does go on to do well elsewhere which I believe he will, it'll still have been the correct decision to let him go.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Cobi Budge":2vh1xmj4 said:
Niche player. It's blatantly obvious that he has talent, but it's also blatantly obvious that he's a specific type of player who would benefit a specific system. No point in holding onto him, even if he does go on to do well elsewhere which I believe he will, it'll still have been the correct decision to let him go.

Unfortunately Cobi you are correct. The current tactics require players who can play a largely defensive system---this just about accommodates Carey, but Lameiras would be a passenger. A real shame.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Bradford are now interested in Lameiras.

May 8, 2011
According to the story he signed a 2 year contract with Argyle. If that is correct then all those not liking the 1+ 1 contracts will be happy, but it might also explain why we may be trying to move him on.

Feb 28, 2016
Cobi Budge":1iaodqux said:

Surely this is the wrong way around? He should be playing a system to get the most out of his players. Not the other way around. At least if you want to do it that way, sign players who will fit. Too many of his signings donā€™t fit his system. Poor management.

Feb 8, 2005
Aug 5, 2016
MarkMatthews":3iz66bx3 said:
Cobi Budge":3iz66bx3 said:

Surely this is the wrong way around? He should be playing a system to get the most out of his players. Not the other way around. At least if you want to do it that way, sign players who will fit. Too many of his signings donā€™t fit his system. Poor management.

I'd rather we play a system that gets the best out of the dominant players (Carey) rather than trying to squeeze Lameiras in, and put some physicality around him because he can't tackle or protect the ball.

What other signings than Lameiras don't fit his system? So many critics of Adams don't seem to realise that some players need to be reserves. Some of them won't even fit in the match day squad if we aim for two players per position.

Ainsworth and Wylde haven't been wasted signings, they just haven't been required because the likes of Grant, Carey and Jervis have been fit all season and they are DA's preferred widemen.

Dec 3, 2005
Why do Managers buy players, who naturally do not fit into the Managers way of playing the game?

Surely the best way is to buy players and fit the tactics around their best abilities.

Much better then trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The amount of times clubs buy players and then either try to play them not in their natural position - the question is WHY?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He has not had many opportunities for us but I suspect that he will mature into a useful player in 12/18 months. He certainly seems to have done well in the reserve games. I hope that we persevere with him. Perhaps needs to build up his strength as the other attributes seem to be there.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
davie nine":3h4tdply said:
He has not had many opportunities for us but I suspect that he will mature into a useful player in 12/18 months. He certainly seems to have done well in the reserve games. I hope that we persevere with him. Perhaps needs to build up his strength as the other attributes seem to be there.
Itā€™s such a tough call with players like Lameiras. If you realise youā€™ve bought a dud ā€“ and everybody does sometimes (look at some of Fergusonā€™s signings over the years) ā€“ well then itā€™s easy you just cut your losses and get rid. Ditto for someone who is a bit ā€˜mehā€™ ā€“ someone who does a job but youā€™re looking to free up a space to improve the squad. But when you sense that you have got someone who could be quite special but just doesnā€™t fit right now, well should you trust your instincts & have a bit of patience and see it as a long term investment ā€¦.. or should you address the more pressing short term needs? Iā€™m really not sure ā€“ TBH I will be disappointed to see him leave as we donā€™t get too many players down here with his quick feet and balance.