Jimmy Spencer | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Dec 19, 2009
Whatever it is that DA seems to think Spencer has to offer isn't obvious to me, anybody enlighten me please?

Mar 18, 2006
Awful waste of space today. Certainly not alone in that category today, but carries no goal threat at all.
Rarely wins a header, gives away needless free kicks , and o have no idea what Adams sees .
Compare him to Kee today , challenged for everything, won his share of headers was mobile and a nuisance.
Spencer , can't run , didn't jump most of the game and gave the centre halfs an easy ride.
As I said he wasn't alone in being poor today, but a promotion. Chasing team has to have a striker who poses a threat .

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Wasn't Frank just awesome again today.

These guys that profess to know anything about football need to get down specsavers quick if they cannot see how utterly useless this guy is.
Some people just haven't got a Scooby doo just like frank

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
How the hell does he get the nod over Taylor ?

He has to be DAYS love child or something.

Taylor was doing well and then a clearly unfit Spencer was recalled for no good reason.

As soon as Taylor comes on the whole team seems to get a lift and we have a greater threat.

It amazes me that we have posters on here thinking he contributes anything at all to our play.
All this b0ll0ck5 about bringing others into the game etc is nonsense.
He doesn't hold the ball up very well, doesn't win headers, doesn't pressurise defenders and I can't remember when he last scored.

Just the sort of striker we could do without IMHO

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Actually I thought he did a little better today. But, Taylor is a better forward than him (lone or otherwise), just as Sawyer is a better left-back than Threlkeld, and Threlkeld is a better right-back than Miller. And that's the way we should have lined up.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Frank_Butcher":2wutilqo said:
Actually I thought he did a little better today. But, Taylor is a better forward than him (lone or otherwise), just as Sawyer is a better left-back than Threlkeld, and Threlkeld is a better right-back than Miller. And that's the way we should have lined up.

Agree with the line up suggestion.
Threlkeld is not as effective at LB but way better than Miller at RB so better compromise is bring Sawyer back to LB.

Why can't DA see it though ????

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Frank_Butcher":2lsiombf said:

Threlkeld is not as effective at LB but way better than Miller at RB so better compromise is bring Sawyer back to LB.

G

Greenskin

samjones":21ngsequ said:
Frank_Butcher":21ngsequ said:

Possibly because the team which started today was the one which won at Doncaster last week and won against Morecambe in the previous HP fixture? DA obviously not gifted with prescient hindsight like your good self. Sawyer and Taylor were both in the starting line ups for the debacles against Notts County and Blackpool so perhaps this selection lark isn't as easy as you seem to think.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Mike Charlick":ooe4onmj said:
Bring back Reid.

Quite. Mr Fat Lazyboy has 11 now in a season which didn't get underway until September. Looking forward to Jimmy reaching that figure by the end of the 2022/23 season - and before anyone says 'oh he holds it up, oh he links play', no he doesn't - Reid was infinitely better than Spencer at every aspect of the job: scoring / holding it up / linking play / harrassing centre halves.

Apparently he played like Zico at Wycombe, although I seem to remember the commentary team saying that Blissett had made the difference.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Was never a big RR fan but compared with Frank Fing Spencer I would have him back in a shot.

Really don't get how this guy steals a living in the football league.

Seriously he wouldn't get a start in my pub team

Dec 16, 2004
samjones":1u1u4xqd said:
Was never a big RR fan but compared with Frank Fing Spencer I would have him back in a shot.

Really don't get how this guy steals a living in the football league.

Seriously he wouldn't get a start in my pub team

There are those of us who "don't understand the game" and those that do (Knarf)!

Those that do berated RR all through his Argyle career (even when on 20 a season and averaging a goal every 3 games), also labelled him as injury prone (134 games in 4 seasons). At City he is averaging a slightly better goal ratio. I have seen him about 6 times and he is a fearsome as ever, defenders hate him and he scores more often than he misses, he brings other players (most notably Watkins) into the game. I regretted him not re-signing for us at the time and regret it even more now.

What does understanding the game mean anyway; is there a text book on it?

I admit I don't understand the game if the requirement of your centre forward is to be someone who is; poor in the air, has poor first touch, over or under hits passes and cannot get a shot on target. If that's the case then take a bow Jimmy Spencer.

I have not seen Spencer have a good game for Argyle (didn't go to Wycombe) and against Donny and Accrington he was about as ineffective as anyone could be.

I also obviously don't understand the game due to the fact that within minutes of Taylor replacing Spencer (in both recent matches) we start to pose more of a threat.

Oh, I know, DA knows best.

Read as many managers' autobiographies as you can get your hands on and they will admit to mistakes about players (yes even Alex Ferguson and Harry Redknapp and our own Paul Sturrock).

Still what do I know? I'll let those that "understand the game" explain to us where we are not getting it.

Aug 24, 2008
Steady now you lot, Frank has his staunch supporters. Everyone knows he is the managers best signing. I was advised earlier in season by an ex professional player that in his opinion Frank would struggle to get into the Truro team. Says it all really. Perhaps his supporters should wake up and smell the coffee.