Jimmy Spencer | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Always said it was a mistake letting him go.

Decent holding up play and could finish.

G

Greenskin

lyndhurst13":3foa6wai said:
samjones":3foa6wai said:
Was never a big RR fan but compared with Frank Fing Spencer I would have him back in a shot.

Really don't get how this guy steals a living in the football league.

Seriously he wouldn't get a start in my pub team

There are those of us who "don't understand the game" and those that do (Knarf)!

Those that do berated RR all through his Argyle career (even when on 20 a season and averaging a goal every 3 games), also labelled him as injury prone (134 games in 4 seasons). At City he is averaging a slightly better goal ratio. I have seen him about 6 times and he is a fearsome as ever, defenders hate him and he scores more often than he misses, he brings other players (most notably Watkins) into the game. I regretted him not re-signing for us at the time and regret it even more now.

What does understanding the game mean anyway; is there a text book on it?

I admit I don't understand the game if the requirement of your centre forward is to be someone who is; poor in the air, has poor first touch, over or under hits passes and cannot get a shot on target. If that's the case then take a bow Jimmy Spencer.

I have not seen Spencer have a good game for Argyle (didn't go to Wycombe) and against Donny and Accrington he was about as ineffective as anyone could be.

I also obviously don't understand the game due to the fact that within minutes of Taylor replacing Spencer (in both recent matches) we start to pose more of a threat.

Oh, I know, DA knows best.

Read as many managers' autobiographies as you can get your hands on and they will admit to mistakes about players (yes even Alex Ferguson and Harry Redknapp and our own Paul Sturrock).

Still what do I know? I'll let those that "understand the game" explain to us where we are not getting it.

10 points clear and a Reuben Reid nostalgia session kicks in. When Spencer was signed I must admit that it was difficult to get excited about a free transfer from Cambridge but he certainly won me over with his performances early season. In fact there was a significant drop in results for a while after he went out of the team, which was highlighted at the time by many posters on here who understood Spencer's contribution to the team. Players from the past such as Sims and Evans were similarly berated at times by some supporters who did not understand that a striker does not necessarily need to score goals to contribute effectively. For sure Spencer hasn't been setting the world on fire since returning but then neither did Reuben after he returned from injury last season and as has been pointed out, earlier results demonstrate that Taylor's inclusion is no guarantee of better results. I was in the pro Reuben camp but for whatever reason, he's gone to pastures new and good luck to him. Facts are facts however and the most crucial fact Is that Reid is playing in a team which currently stands 13 points behind Argyle,suggesting that his departure was not the end of the world.

Sep 6, 2006
Spencer isn't the greatest but has his odd good game. Still unfairly criticized for the role he is forced to endure. But surely Taylor must be carrying an injury not to start.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'd like to see Blissett and Taylor given a go up top

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Thought Blissett won almost everything when he came on, Spencer barely even moves or challenges for the ball, not because he's lazy, but because he doesn't have any real presence about him.

Dec 22, 2015
Yesterday was the most frustrating performance I have seen Spencer in. He contributed absolutely sod all and consistently gave the ball away with poor control and execution. This guy shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. I really hope he is dropped into the reserve side and Tanner is brought back in.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Spencer is not the same since his ankle injury. He showed 'Reuben-like' signs of frustration and complaining yesterday. An example of his lack of confidence is when he does not attempt to get in front of a defender when a cross is coming in. Just hopes for a defensive error like Slew made at Yeovil. Even in League 2 it doesn't happen very often.

Taylor is a much better option.